vBulletin Not Very Accessible With Screen Reader

GraysonPeddie

Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi. I've been using a screen reader, called Orca, which runs under Lunux, such as Ubuntu 8.10.

One major frustration when browsing the forum is with nested tables and it gets very frustrating when trying to get to the content.

While I can get to the main forum index or browse the thread by pressing the "t" (table) key 3 or 4 times and press the down table to get out of the nested table, it can be frustratiing if nested tables are over-used.

When it comes to viewing a thread, I thought I'd press "p" to view the post! Instead, I've been taken to the "Recommended Links." And I thought "Recommended Links as a paragraph? That's not a paragraph! It's just a menu of links!"

Alex, can't you implement a paragraph tag in the UBBCode? Here's my example:

[p]One of the great things about Orca is it's free and open source. It supports Braille displays and it came with a built-in magnifier for enlargement of text and graphics. But when it comes to accessibility in the Web, not all websites are accessible, especially when it comes to using tables for layout. When it comes to Firefox, pressing "p" will take you to the next paragraph, "h" will take you to the next heading, etc.[/p]

However, I do know that not all posts will have paragraphs, so my experience with browsing the forum can be a bit lacking. Still, I've been working to get around with nested tables within the forum.

Of course, that's up to the developers of vBulletin to use CSS for layout.

Back