UV light reveals how ancient Greek statues really looked

Beowulf

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ultraviolet light reveals how ancient Greek statues really looked

With the use of ultraviolet light and other techniques, one can now see the original colors on ancient statues of the past. Greek statues are pictured in the link, but I know that Egyptians, Mayans, Aztecs, and many others were big on painting, so I hope to see more. I thought this is pretty neat!

Should be under "visual arts" instead of "deaf community."

I see. I think a lot of deaf people think that the statues our ancestors created were rather drab things. They weren't. I just thought it newsworthy.

yea, Arts is funny that one.. One man's view may be junk while other would pay millions for same thing.. I'm not big on art either.

Thank goodness I didn't make a post over the $50 million van Gogh art theft or you'd go nuts.

I wouldn't go nuts. I would just shake my head and say that's person is nuts for paying that much!

Wow, that just brought a different perspective of ancient art for me. Thanks for sharing!

Glad you enjoyed it, shel. What a dreary world this would be without art!

Wirelessly posted

I paid a few grands for my painting...

Was worth every dollar. Wish I got more along the same taste.

Last edited:
ah... you're in crabby mood. lemme guess - some idiot left the refrigerator open by accident and your beers are too warm now.

If that actually happened, some stuff over the weekend can easily eclipse that and I wouldn't have noticed.

This link was actually listed in "links to know" for my son'e World History class this year.

I see. I think a lot of deaf people think that the statues our ancestors created were rather drab things. They weren't. I just thought it newsworthy.

Agreed. It was not only newsworthy, in that it is a technological advance, but it is extremely interesting, given the mistaken impression most have regarding ancient art.

Quite educational regarding Greek art. When I think of it, I keep thinking of Michelago even though this was more than 1k years after the heyday of Classicial Greek art.

I guess the Greek sculptures looked more like what you see at state fairs and carnivals than what Michealago created. :lol: I've known for some time that Greek statues were painted so I've always wondered what they must have looked like with paint.

Back