Utilizing signs in hearing schools

In our local school the kids are taught the alphabet in sign and the colors in preschool. I think it is great. Alsomthe special needs children are taught sign as well as another form of communication, which I also support. Because of it my son can tell me things he otherwise could not say.

Allura and Kari, thanks for the feedback and how wonderful that your son can can tell you things now, Kari :). For a couple of years a family friend had a son who was not showing 'typical' speech for his age (1-3 years of age). The mom was concerned and took him for hearing tests (no problem detected) and also to a speech therapist. The therapist introduced sign language to both mom and boy to help facilitate communication. It was a great thing for them as he picked it up quickly and readily used what he knew to get his point across. He is now 4 and talking a mile a minute (literally! haha) - turns out it was a case of him not wanting to talk until he was darn good and ready. They no longer use any signing at home but this summer, at the lake, he was quite fascinated by my friend and I conversing (she is deaf) and jumped in at one point saying, "I know that, that means time for supper! She talks with her hands just like me and mama did!". It was just one more incident where I wondered if even a small exposure to the concept of "talking with hands" would generate deaf education.

It was taught somewhat in my school when I was in Elementary school. All of the G.T. kids got to learn finger spelling. They were all hearing. I found it ironic since I was the deaf kid and I was never allowed into G.T. I envied G.T. Kids. They got out of class once a week to go do 'challenging' learning. I later walked into a G.T. meeting and all they were doing was playing an alphabet game that all the other students in the school could have played.

Ah, thanks. I was in that, but I was the unpopular social outcast of that group. Back then it was just known as "Enriched".

But really, it's made *all* the difference in my life. :roll:
not!

Ah, thanks. I was in that, but I was the unpopular social outcast of that group. Back then it was just known as "Enriched".

But really, it's made *all* the difference in my life. :roll:
not!

By senior high, some of the GT kids actually got bored with it and dropped out. Makes you wonder if the program is really challenging these kids or is it more of a social club for the popular/rich kids?

I think using ASL in schools with hearing children is a good idea. Even though many of us don't or can't sign, we do gesticulate to emphasize what we say. I see no reason why we should not teach our children our hands and bodies can be so much more than something to merely emphasize with but speak with. Gestures have meaning, but signing has so much more. It would be incredibly useful in the child's future to be able to communicate with more people. Barriers are only good for one thing - overcoming them. We should bridge the gap. Besides, children pick up on that stuff very quickly. I think it would be amazing to see young people expanding their minds in such a beautiful and practical way.

It was taught somewhat in my school when I was in Elementary school. All of the G.T. kids got to learn finger spelling. They were all hearing. I found it ironic since I was the deaf kid and I was never allowed into G.T. I envied G.T. Kids. They got out of class once a week to go do 'challenging' learning. I later walked into a G.T. meeting and all they were doing was playing an alphabet game that all the other students in the school could have played.

Maybe in your school GT meant "Got Time (to play stupid games)". :hmm:

"Barriers are only good for one thing - overcoming them." I like that thought Dawne :).

for newbies....the issue is, the "wonderful-ness" of this idea is not deemed significant for deaf children, so lack of equity between deaf and hearing needs...when hearing want it - GREAT - what deaf want - sorry, can't have that... <sarcasm>

I don't see why it should not be treated like what it is - a language. Schools teach Spanish and French so ASL should be taught as well. It is a language, a means to communicate. I know I'm a newbie, and I'm sorry if my opinion isn't perfect, but it is what it is. I honestly think incorporating ASL in schools would be beneficial to all of the students. It's not just a matter of wonderful, as you said, dogmom, but practicality.

My little brother is 7 years old and autistic. When he started school he was in a special program for autistic children, because he was non verbal they used certain signs for all of the children, now that I am a ASL student I have learned that they did not use the correct signs. like for "sit" they use "chair chair chair chair chair", for "all done" instead of "finished" the teachers taught him the all done where its like "I'm all done with you, i rid my hands of you". There are a few others like "please" and "sorry" are used interchangeably.
I think if they decide to use signs in class rooms they need to make sure they are correct.

I just wish that G.T. didn't even have to exist. Yes, I can understand placing advanced children into a more challenging curriculum, but looking back in time, it wasn't even that. All the students had average intelligence, with the exception of maybe one or two that really stood out as braininess, but it was really a social club for the popular kids. If you were well liked as a student, you were in. You took a test. I never knew what was on that test but it had to have been simple for our small school to have that many students in this program.

This made me feel inferior to these G.T. students, especially knowing that my brother was also one of them. I think the teachers were reluctant to let me try for it because of my math problems and because I was d/hh. I later found out I had a gift for writing, I won the school's English Award given to a graduating senior. None of those G.T. kids got it. I was never happier in my school days. By my 11th grade year I was known as the kid that could write.

Well, I find it a bit disturbing that we have to fight to get ASL terps in the hearing schools for deaf students, but that the staff would use it when it is convenient for them with hearing students. That's a start. I think it also serves to misrepresent ASL as something less than a full communication choice.

Yeah, and then those student come here with fetish of the deaf and ASL. Then they make Youtube video like they *know* ASL, even put 'ASL' in title and I cannot understand what they say. :giggle:

Sorry, not adding to discussion. More of vent.

I think very weird schools want promote ASL hearie kids, not Deafie kids. Plus, I wonder they will use ACTUAL signs or just make up signs? Tell kids this random hand movement mean this random thing, call it sign language? Not like. Seem perpetuate idea sign language just hand gibberish, instead actual real language.

Now, if schools want go ASL immersion, this cool. Create kids actually fluent actual ASL. Great idea! Not like when people use sign only until child speak, then drop altogether. Annoy. Not some trend! Not fashion accessory.

Good point. Boyfriend tell me that with band one time and they rehearse for evening show. Lead singer do "ILY" sign and say it mean 'rock on.' Boyfriend correct him on what meaning really is. Lead singer do not do that sign anymore. :giggle:

The actual rock on sign has the thumb tucked in with just the first and pinky fingers sticking up.

But unfortunately, there are a lot of signs that have taken on multiple meanings in the hearing world. That same hand shape is used by BOTH Arkansas and Texas.

If the fingers are up - you are a Texas Longhorn (horns on the bull), if the fingers are down you are a Razorback (Tusks on the Razorback).

The actual rock on sign has the thumb tucked in with just the first and pinky fingers sticking up.

But unfortunately, there are a lot of signs that have taken on multiple meanings in the hearing world. That same hand shape is used by BOTH Arkansas and Texas.

If the fingers are up - you are a Texas Longhorn (horns on the bull), if the fingers are down you are a Razorback (Tusks on the Razorback).

Don't forget that is also an old ASL sign, "bullshit."

Vent is fine Rebecca, discussions just naturally flow off the original topic sometimes. No worries :).

Back