Using TTYs

kristakree

Reaction score
I haven't had my TTY for a while, and have only used it a handful of times. For the most part, I use it to call individuals, such as friends and family. I'm wondering, is it any different with calling companys or businesses? There are times where I need customer service on something, but I don't know if people can call these services with TTYs and chicken out.
You can tell I'm not used to using my TTY, I do use it, but at the same time, not used to it. I do have to call my school during March Break to talk to my Special Needs Counsellor, and again, not sure how to go about with that. Bascially, I'm asking, do you tell the operator the ext number if you know it, or do you tell them the name? Is there a protocall you have to follow for calling companies/businesses?

:ty:
-Krista

1) don't stress out about it.

2) if you can speak, use a service like captel or 2-line VCO.

3) automated phone mazes suck, no matter what you do. If you know the extension ahead of time let the operator know before you dial.

4) Your special needs councilor might actually have a TTY, or access to one. then you can just make a direct call and no need to use the relay.

Thank you!!! I'm not entirely sure what 2-line VCO is however. Yes I do speak, I use the VCO and actually am borrowing a new tty(portable one) from CHS.
Thanks again :)

-Krista

Back