Using the Word 'Pet' Insults Your Pet, er, Companion

Banjo

Expelled
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's a frightening thought: The cat ladies are right. Kitties (and their doggie counterparts) are companions, not pets, and calling them otherwise is just plain offensive.

According to a report published in the Journal of Animal Ethics, using "derogatory" terms such as "critters," "beasts," and — you guessed it — "pets" when referring to animals of any kind can affect the way they are treated.

Read more: Animal Academics: Using the Word ‘Pet’ Insults Your Pet, er, Companion - TIME NewsFeed

I propose that we change the name of the "Our Pets" section to "Our Companions" for the sake of their dignity! :lol:

And I thought I was the only crazy cat lady out there. :lol:

But in all seriousness, I'm grateful to be owned by my 5 furkids.

I always refer my Pomeranian as "the Baby"....or the "Baby Love"....I get odd glances here and there over it, but what the heck....

She goes with me everywhere...and there have been times when family or friends would say..."Why not leave "the Dog" here?...and I've responded, "she's no Dog, and she is going with us."...And she happily trots out the door.

my youngest Rottie is "the baby"; both of the Rotties together are "the girls". I've mentioned my "furkids", "my guys", "the furry people" in conversation.

I see why some may dislike the use of "pets" and I'm personally kinda mixed about it but I think ACTIONS respectful and humane regarding our pets or furry friends are more significant to focus as a whole than the actual term we use for them.

I assume then that "little fuzzy-wuzzy oogy-woogy bunny wabbit" would be considered inappropriate by this study...

Back