Using ASL daily

Justin Moore

Reaction score
Every now and then at school i dedicate to my career choice in ASL, so i go without talking all day and sign as much as i can. And you may ask "but how do other kids know what your saying, they may not know ASL" well if i know that my friends don't know ASL i talk while i sign to help communicate. It is a great way for practice and getting confortable with signing

I am not sure that "learning/using" ASL is a career choice-excluding being an ASL instructor- is effected?
As to one's social group pf "hearing persons"-how many use ASL?

Supposedly being "voice off" does't seem to "fit" the above practice?

Well, my husband & I are learning beginning ASL (he is hearing; I am HOH). We took classes last fall, but then neglected to use it at all, as the people we normally see on a regular basis are all fully hearing. I just struggle along with my hearing aids. So, now, we are taking the second round of classes, reviewing and learning some new vocabulary. This time we want to at least try to use the limited vocabulary we know, and add a new sign or two as needed. So, we're cooking chicken last night, so I looked up the word chicken and signed something to my husband. And he signed back. :P Later I looked up the sign for movie and ask if he wanted to watch a movie while waiting for the chicken to bake... So, like the old "word a day" I remember doing from a paperback book back in the 70s, to increase my vocabulary (as well as always having a dictionary nearby when reading to look up any words I didn't know...), we are going to try to learn at least one new sign everyday. Look up something we always talk about or comes up, and sign it instead of just say it like we habitually do. :hmm: On the table we have our text books, our notes from class as well as the Gallaudet Dictionary. Available to grab to look something up. :)

I printed out the vocab words and sentences from Lifeprint lessons that we've gone through, and pasted them to index cards. Once a day my youngest two and I go through about 20 of the cards each- we each have a stack, and take turns signing to the others.

That's in addition to trying to use the signs we know in our daily interactions- which has become much easier since i started using initials for everybody names instead of trying to spell them out each time I wanted to refer to them.

I can just sign 'brother' for my son instead of fingerspelling, but there are six girls, so 'sister' was confusing.

Wirelessly posted

OH! I like the index card idea! I think I will do that, too! Thanks for sharing that! ;)

Last edited:
When I can't sleep (which is often), I finger spell poems to practice the alphabet and to strengthen my fingers.

To help myself fall asleep I go through the alphabet, numbers up to 100, then I fingerspell out all family member names. My daughter has said that while I am asleep she has seen me signing lots of things. My hubby woke up once with a black eye and said that I whacked him when I got "voicy" with my "sleep-signing".

Back