use of device in children or not

volcomskatz said:
Yea, it's up to their parents but I just can encourage them to make sure before get CI because some deaf children can get good benefits with HA.

If I have deaf children then I wouldn't let them to get CI but I would make them to wear HA.

Yes I'm with you to this. I would wear my babies with HA straight way first until they are old enough to have their choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomskatz
Why does you said about me because I'm not make sense?

Neecy's post
you said earlier,

Quote: volcomskatz's post
Excuse me, you can't force what I doing with my deaf children.

I just make them to wear HA, that all.

Neecy's post
can you tell us where anybody is trying to force you to do anything? That's what we don't understand. Why do you think somebody is trying to force you to make any kind of decision with regards to your future (deaf) children?

I think volcomskatz rather to wear his future children with HA first because of no surgery/risk until his future children're old enough to have their choice.

I rather to wear risk-free/non-surgery HA on my child first.

HA is allways the first option for toddles. NO-one would operate for CI before a HA is used and it has been shown that HA's have no effect.

So, it's never the question HA or CI.
The question is.. when HA doesn't help... Yes or No CI?

ci in my son

my son was born hearing then lost his hearing due to eva... we wanted our child to hear again and we grabbed the opruinity!!! Our insurance paied for the implant and surgery and almost all insurances will. if you have a ci failure then you get a new one under warrenty. my child got one at 16 months old and I am enjoying every minute of its benefits.I coulndnt even imagine waiting till he was 18 .the implant company gives you 6 months of battereies. and warrenties on everything.When we decide to implant again we will!!! Thanks for all the support!! It is our money and our child and your right what we do with that money and the decisions we make is all up to us parents. :) : :) :)

The confusion is that sometimes it's assumed that hearing parents "just" take a CI.
This is not the case. A HA has to be tried in order to see if it will help. (unless there are other medical issues)
In a way, there is not a real choice between HA or CI.

A HA is chosen to make the child able to hear instead of being completely deaf. If that is the wish of the paren - to make the child able to hear, then when a HA does not work, a CI can be considered to obtain the result that first was sought after with a HA.

So when volcomskatz's say's
Excuse me, you can't force what I doing with my deaf children.
I just make them to wear HA, that all.
that implies that he thinks that the idea is that his children can benefit as much from HA as from CI... And that assumption is wrong.

Liebling says
I would wear my babies with HA straight way first until they are old enough to have their choice.
and I agree with her because that's exactly what we did. Except we didn't wait 10-15 years to go for CI.

(By the way Liebling. Regarding that coffee you promised me... how's thursday 13th july for you. We are driving to Austria then..)

samantha kennel said:
my son was born hearing then lost his hearing due to eva... we wanted our child to hear again and we grabbed the opruinity!!! Our insurance paied for the implant and surgery and almost all insurances will. if you have a ci failure then you get a new one under warrenty. my child got one at 16 months old and I am enjoying every minute of its benefits.I coulndnt even imagine waiting till he was 18 .the implant company gives you 6 months of battereies. and warrenties on everything.When we decide to implant again we will!!! Thanks for all the support!! It is our money and our child and your right what we do with that money and the decisions we make is all up to us parents. :) : :) :)

:cheers:

Cloggy said:
That was line 1.
The following lines
were just to play. - as you phrase it.

Now, can you stop it and focus on the topic.

Hell no, This first post are not kidding and I'm so seriously. :mad:

I just stated about decide what doing with children then this post isn't joking, period.

You don't understand in some part what I said and I don't want them to get CI, that it.

Cloggy said:
The confusion is that sometimes it's assumed that hearing parents "just" take a CI.
This is not the case. A HA has to be tried in order to see if it will help. (unless there are other medical issues)
In a way, there is not a real choice between HA or CI.

A HA is chosen to make the child able to hear instead of being completely deaf. If that is the wish of the paren - to make the child able to hear, then when a HA does not work, a CI can be considered to obtain the result that first was sought after with a HA.

So when volcomskatz's say's
that implies that he thinks that the idea is that his children can benefit as much from HA as from CI... And that assumption is wrong.

Liebling says and I agree with her because that's exactly what we did. Except we didn't wait 10-15 years to go for CI.

(By the way Liebling. Regarding that coffee you promised me... how's thursday 13th july for you. We are driving to Austria then..)

No, I'm not wrong, I just don't let children to get CI until after 18th Birthday but I wouldn't pay for them and they need apply new insurance or appy new job if job provides health insurance, not for me. If they don't get benefits with HA then they will be silence for good, such as about 98% of students at CSDR don't have CI and most deaf kids in USA don't have CI too, also they are wear HA or not wear anymore, also silence for good. You made much of mistake what other members feel to decide what their children doing and you are not supposed to call wrong at me, I'm not accept what you said about me.

volcomskatz said:
Everyone gave me an hard time but it was my decide and no need to discuss with me... I just don't like CI, that it and you are just urge alot but it seems anti-deaf culture or not want proud to be deaf.
OMG. Enuf said!!!

volcomskatz said:
Yea, I'm skateboard guy... :)

Well, I don't let them to get CI until after 18th Birthday then let them to decide but deaf people can live without get CI, such as in pre-1980's. I don't know what find out if HA isn't work on some deaf children but it need more research. HA is work so well for mild/moderate deaf and most sereve deaf too. AD seems much different from CSDR because alot of students are bash on other students that who have CI and they called students that who wear CI, then it means CIers have brain impaired because CI make them to more assit with actions. That make me laugh but some people in around La thinks that I have brain impaired because I wear CI, it's old stuff in 2001.

Skateboarders cannot wear CI or it will fall down so hard, also it's too hard for put CI on head when wear helmet too.

The underlined is called peer pressure it's intended to make you fall into line rather then do things the way you really want.

Ok, so you would like things to remain stagnent and get along without any device except a HA. And you'd base your decision on your feelings about the CI and possiblity that some ignorant person thinks the device causes brain impairment, rather then facts that show how well children do when implanted early. Not a choice I'd make but with your children it is yours to make.

I do wear a helmet while riding my motorcycle with the ci on, i bought a do rag to hold the magnet in place, if it was necessary to hold the reciever in place on my ear I'd try one of those pieces in my kit made for that.

My biggest concern with implanting children is that it is an invasive surgery. It is a surgery that is not done to save a life, but as a correction for something that can be dealt with in other ways. Also, I think too many hearing parents decide to implant with the belief that CI will make their deaf child hearing, and they don't understand completely that simply being able to hear sound doesn't mean that the CI user hears the same thing that hearing people do. Just like people with HA don't hear the same thing that hearing people do.

CI was not my decision for my son. I made other choices. He is now an adult, and doesn't even wear HA anymore. He says the noise confuses him so he can't use his eyes well. Very distracting to have noise, noise ,noise all the time that means nothing to him.

Too many times, CI is presented as the magic cure for deafness. It's not. It is just an assisitive device, just like HA is assistive device. Difference is, HA doesn't require electrodes being implanted into the brain.

Parents who say, " I made decison to implant because I wanted my child to hear" scare me. Maybe need to worry about accepting child as deaf, and concentrate on communication skills before trying to change kids with surgery. It's okay if kid is not exactly same as parent. Makes life interesting!

jag said:
The underlined is called peer pressure it's intended to make you fall into line rather then do things the way you really want.

Ok, so you would like things to remain stagnent and get along without any device except a HA. And you'd base your decision on your feelings about the CI and possiblity that some ignorant person thinks the device causes brain impairment, rather then facts that show how well children do when implanted early. Not a choice I'd make but with your children it is yours to make.

I do wear a helmet while riding my motorcycle with the ci on, i bought a do rag to hold the magnet in place, if it was necessary to hold the reciever in place on my ear I'd try one of those pieces in my kit made for that.

Well, I just quit to wear CI when start transferred from middle school to high school for 9th grade for some reason but some hearing students are bash on some students that who have CI. I was transferred from mainstream school to CSDR when start in 10th grade and I like CSDR because it's feel more easier to get along with other people and teachers are friendly. In 12th grade, I went back to mainstream school again with interpreters for personal reason and it wasn't bad at most time, and mainstream school make me hilarious because other students love to chat and playing around other students.

Interpreters in USA are free for deaf people that need them. It's required by ADA laws.

volcomskatz said:
Well, I just quit to wear CI when start transferred from middle school to high school for 9th grade for some reason but some hearing students are bash on some students that who have CI. I was transferred from mainstream school to CSDR when start in 10th grade and I like CSDR because it's feel more easier to get along with other people and teachers are friendly. In 12th grade, I went back to mainstream school again with interpreters for personal reason and it wasn't bad at most time, and mainstream school make me hilarious because other students love to chat and playing around other students.

Interpreters in USA are free for deaf people that need them. It's required by ADA laws.
Some hearing students were bashing on you for having a CI? Seems that not only some deaf people bash on CI'ers but also some hearing people bash on them as well.

ButterflyGirl said:
Some hearing students were bashing on you for having a CI? Seems that not only some deaf people bash on CI'ers but also some hearing people bash on them as well.

Yea, they were bashed on me when in middle school and gave me an bad repulation.

Jillio,
I can see your point of view, but just want to set mine next to yours.

jillio said:
My biggest concern with implanting children is that it is an invasive surgery. It is a surgery that is not done to save a life, but as a correction for something that can be dealt with in other ways.
In a way that is true. There are other options. The same is true for circumcision. Here, there is no benefit at all, but there are risks. Another area wher unnessasary operations take place is with a cesarian delivery when it is done because the womand asks for it. (I'm not talking about C-sections based on medical indication.)
jillio said:
Also, I think too many hearing parents decide to implant with the belief that CI will make their deaf child hearing, and they don't understand completely that simply being able to hear sound doesn't mean that the CI user hears the same thing that hearing people do. Just like people with HA don't hear the same thing that hearing people do.
But is it important that the sound is exactly the same? If a microwave sounds like a "pling" to you, but a "plong" to me, we will still recognise it.
Apart from that, when I say "steamtrain" to my daughter, she repeats "steamtrain". So, believing the child can hear is not a wrong statement. OUr daughter can hear. She speaks sentences and asks questions.
jillio said:
CI was not my decision for my son. I made other choices. He is now an adult, and doesn't even wear HA anymore. He says the noise confuses him so he can't use his eyes well. Very distracting to have noise, noise ,noise all the time that means nothing to him.

Too many times, CI is presented as the magic cure for deafness. It's not. It is just an assisitive device, just like HA is assistive device. Difference is, HA doesn't require electrodes being implanted into the brain.
People that consider it a cure for deafness are wrong. My daughter is still deaf when she takes off the CI. And she is happy with that as well. Just keeps on talking. Her world exists of silence AND sounds. She's deaf and she can hear.
And I feel that you realise that there is a difference between HA and CI. After our daughter was diagnosed profoundly deaf, we had her use a HA. WHen it was appearent taht it didn't help, then, only then we could t make the decision between CI or deaf. We chose the latter.
jillio said:
Parents who say, " I made decison to implant because I wanted my child to hear" scare me. Maybe need to worry about accepting child as deaf, and concentrate on communication skills before trying to change kids with surgery. It's okay if kid is not exactly same as parent. Makes life interesting!
I'm sorry to hear that. The statement is true for me. I want my daughter to hear the sounds I hear. I want her to be able to communicate with Norwegian, Dutch, English and deaf people (random order!) In a couple of years, she will be able to do that.
About accepting the child to be deaf... we did and then we heared about CI. We communicate with sign and still do.

Like you say, it's OK for a child to be different than it's parents. Our daughter is that.

Cloggy, I still can't see how you can compare a c-section surgery to a CI surgery because a c-section is done to take a human being out of another human being even if a woman asks for it.

ButterflyGirl said:
Cloggy, I still can't see how you can compare a c-section surgery to a CI surgery because a c-section is done to take a human being out of another human being even if a woman asks for it.
The body takes care of that. In a lot of cases there is no need for it, but it is done anyway. The risk regarding the operation is accepted.
My comparison is done to look at those risks. A c-section is quite commen. Especially in USA, compared to Netherlands, Germany, Norway.
Like CI-operation, there is the risk involved in the operation. It's small, but the mother and/or child could die. Still, C-section is accepted as OK even though there is no medical reason for it (again, I'm not talking about c-section based on a medical ground)

I can see that people would not implant a toddler, but the argument that it is a risk due to the operation / invasive does not hold.

ButterflyGirl said:

If the mother is asking for the surgery it most likely is not because the baby doesn't have a way out. Heck from experience you can even have a breech baby without having a c section (definatly not fun tho) But the point is just having a c section because mom asks for one without any medical indication that it is necessary does make a c section an unnecessary risk to both mom and baby.

Back