us/we

Jeremy1982

Reaction score
It seems the words us/we are being signed differently by several different people then what i'm finding for instruction. Just curious why this is. I like the way other people are signing it (kind of like a K going back and forth) but I'm just not finding that anywhere in instructions(pointing from one side of chest and moving over to the other side)

Just slightly confusing.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Because "US" and "WE" are two totally different signs used in different context (just like they aren't interchangable in English, they aren't interchangable in ASL).

For example you'd say:
"We are going to the park" not "Us are going to the park"

Perhaps I didn't explain it very well, they are using the same sign for us/we, but the sign they are using is different from what the aslpro.com video dictionary shows. For instance, the words in the song Chasing cars by snow patrol. "We" don't need, anything, or anyone and Just know that these things will never change for "us" at all. The person interpreting the song, and others who interpret songs are using a different sign then what is at aslpro.com

First who is "they" and are they fluent in ASL or are they just ASL students "signing songs" on youtube?

Also depending on the specific context it would be likely that if the song consistantly is referring to two (3,4,5 etc) specific people throughout the song that "we" (English) would be set up as "us" (Gloss) for consistancy sake.
Keep in mind that one Translates English to ASL (and vice versa) - it's not done "word for sign" but meaning for meaning so if you're trying to line up ASL signs with specific Englsih words all the time it's not going to work - translating languages doesn't work that way.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MN3gsuHemE"]Chasing Cars Snow Patrol ASL - YouTube[/ame]
Is one video. I know grammar is not the same and things aren't word for word, but I go through and lookup many of the words to learn and to know what signs are being used to express the message in a particular line. It seems he is also using the same sign for "our" as he does for we and us. I guess some words/concepts are a little confusing.

Because "US" and "WE" are two totally different signs used in different context (just like they aren't interchangable in English, they aren't interchangable in ASL).

For example you'd say:
"We are going to the park" not "Us are going to the park"

:confused:

Oh?

It seems the words us/we are being signed differently by several different people then what i'm finding for instruction. Just curious why this is. I like the way other people are signing it (kind of like a K going back and forth) but I'm just not finding that anywhere in instructions(pointing from one side of chest and moving over to the other side)

Just slightly confusing.
That is the sign for BOTH-OF-US. Each of the two fingers represents a person. It's directional, so when the handshape moves towards the signer, that is one person, and when the handshape moves outward, that's pointing either to the other person, or the space that represents the other person.

Similar signs are THREE-OF-US with 3 handshape, palm up, circular motion, and FOUR-OF-US, 4 handshape, palm up, circular motion. The THREE and FOUR signs are moved in a circle to indicate each person included in the grouping. The BOTH-OF-US includes only two people, so that would be a back and forth motion, not circular.

So, the signer isn't signing WE at all. He's signing BOTH-OF-US. The concept is still we-two. In fact, it's more specific than "we." Saying or signing "we" doesn't tell you how many people are involved. Saying "we two" or "both of us" shows number, as does signing BOTH-OF-US.

The WE/US sign with the index finger going shoulder to shoulder is useful when there is an unknown number of people, or where the number isn't important. If it's done with a sweeping outward motion toward a group of people with the signer, then it's an inclusive "we" with all the other people.

Thanks Reba I was going to reply with those details (with some examples) - but it's a pain on the blackberry, so I was waiting 'til I got to my computer.

To clarify for Botts - my We and Us park examples were English examples of how the two words while having similar meaning- aren't interchangable.

Thanks Reba I was going to reply with those details (with some examples) - but it's a pain on the blackberry, so I was waiting 'til I got to my computer.
I understand completely. I do the same thing. :lol:

Both of us. Thank you. That makes sense as well, I realize it's not word for word, and the sign did make some sense to me the way it was used, but I just wondered why it was used. I didn't realize that it meant both of us though. I do like that sign for the word we/us when it's between 2 people. It seems a little easier to remember. Anyways, I really love this song and it's music that that is actually helping me to learn easier as I can do the signs at the same time i'm singing. Sounds crazy maybe, but it's effective for me for learning.

Chasing Cars Snow Patrol ASL - YouTube
Is one video. I know grammar is not the same and things aren't word for word, but I go through and lookup many of the words to learn and to know what signs are being used to express the message in a particular line. It seems he is also using the same sign for "our" as he does for we and us. I guess some words/concepts are a little confusing.

Ok - I watched the YouTube video. Sorry.
The flipping of dominant hands (for no apparent reason), signing and head bopping made me a bit nutty ... it is also a fairly good indicator that the person signing is:
a) a hearing ASL student or
b)someone who's hoh and learning ASL.
Not that either is "bad" - they're having fun, which is good, just as long as viewers realize what's happening - but of course the signer doesn't tell you that.

In either case, I'm not sure I'd recommend getting really attached to their translations/"interpretations" (which are more CASE than ASL).

I did laugh at one of the person's videos where they signed "Fall in Love" - lol like "FALL IN LOVE" ... ummm "whhhhhhhheeeeeeeeee Crash?" I've never seen anyone sign it like that (who wasn't using SEE)

I'd recommend looking at CODA videos - Keith Wann is great, as are CODA BROS. and a number of others. The hardest thing for students to learn is how to tell a native/skilled signer from a student (or someone who "thinks" they're skilled).

Hope that helps.

Back