Urgent request

erikjondunwell

Reaction score
I hope that someone can point me in the right direction on this.

I am in an emergency situation in that I have a family member that suddenly went deaf and is now using a traditional TTY machine. He wants me to communicate directly with his TTY machine with no deaf relay operator. Unfortunately I cannot afford a traditional TTY machine.

I wondered with today's technology, if there was computer software and/or hardware that I could purchase for my computer in order that it function as a TTY machine, as needed.

I am truly desperate for this information and will accept any/all recommendations. Thank you and God Bless.

Erik

I'm guessing one or both of you do not have a cell phone. Wouldn't texting work just as well? I've never used a TTY, so I really don't know.
Hope you can work things out.

I am in an emergency situation in that I have a family member that suddenly went deaf and is now using a traditional TTY machine. He wants me to communicate directly with his TTY machine with no deaf relay operator. Unfortunately I cannot afford a traditional TTY machine.

I wondered with today's technology, if there was computer software and/or hardware that I could purchase for my computer in order that it function as a TTY machine, as needed.

I am truly desperate for this information and will accept any/all recommendations. Thank you and God Bless.

Erik

Watch Ebay for any brand of TTY. Every now and then you will find one going for very, very little. You just have to wait as there are more and more offering them for full retail price; which, as you have found, can run into hundreds of dollars.

I wish I saw this post few years ago. I would have given my TTY to you for cost of shipping.

Ultratec Uniphone 1140 Voice Carryover TTY VCO LCD D100049 | eBay

This is the first thing that came up when I searched for TTY on Ebay. Is this inexpensive enough for you? I have an older version of this and it has the advantage of being able to be used for regular phone calls as well — not needing the space for both a voice phone and a TTY at whatever place in you home you might want to make both kinds of calls.

Not sure if it still works, but nextalk.net - tty for the computer and you'll need windows and a modem.

Erik

There is software available and I believe some can be downloaded for free off the internet. It can become a little complicated though.

Your family members TTY would have to be equipped with ASCII and your computer would have to be equipped with a modem or you would need an external modem that can be connected to your computer.

Where is our OP? Three posts about this in different sections were made on the seventh and NOTHING since!!!!

I have a TDD I don't use anymore.

Unfortunately this is all too common. People join, make a post or two and never to be heard of again.

Well at least the info/advice given could help other people who have the same problem in the future. Perhaps they found some help in the end and the problem is solved.

Like JaneB I have/use an UltraTech 1140 VCO TTY-since 1996. Just dial 711- relay operator assists by keying what the other party is saying. I speak, of course.
aside: if the other party a TEXT phone, I can key a message without Relay service.
All that is needed is a Landline phone jack--just plug in.

aside: notwithstanding i do have/use AdvanceBionics-Harmony Cochlear Implant. Doesn't pick up people speaking,on a regular phone- just the dial tone. I have been advised Sunnybrook/Toronto in their experience -1 of 2 Implantees have trouble with regular phones. To me-not a major problem-lots of experience.

Lets hope the OP reads all the comments in the other threads that talk about phones. Deaf Communications/Technology-Relay service

Last edited:
I still use TDD which is a small TTY without the monster (Traditional TTY) from old days long time ago. I have not made much calls on my precious TDD so far. I still have the relay service to use when making the calls to hearing people. I use private line or standard line, not public line as it can interfered if you want to make calls.

The OP have to use TDD or TTY (if the family member has a monster TTY) to communicate to the family member who became deaf. If the OP don't have TTY, then the OP need to call Relay service to communicate with him by voice which the Relay Operator will translate or interpret what the OP say to the family member. The Relay Operator will type out on the TDD to communicate with the deaf family member. And that will have your family member respond back to you by typing the TTY to the Relay Operator on the TDD machine and then the Relay Operator will interpret to the OP on what the family member said.

If the OP want to buy the TDD, then maybe you can find it on EBay, Craiglist or Amazon (I think) or at the Hearing Society if the OP and family member live in USA. If not living in USA, then you will have to find one in the phone book where they have that in deaf organizations.

Things have changed a lot in the 21st Century. Most Deaf rely on VP which mean VideoPhone. But you both have to learn sign language or maybe try lipreading if you both can make out what you both said. Lipreading is not successful. Gesture is better. I hope OP have good luck with it. :)

Back