URGENT--Missing Deaf Teenager from Fontana, California

NeilMcD

Reaction score
via USA-L:

URGENT--Missing Deaf Teenager from Fontana, California

Fontana Police Department's Detective Tom Yarrington of Sex Crimes and Child Abuse Unit contacted DeafHope for help to find a Deaf missing teen girl from California School for the Deaf, Riverside, named Heather Estella Lopez.

Here is the description of the youth:

Heather Estella Lopez
19 Years Old
Hispanic Female
5'7", 115 lbs
Brown Hair and Brown Eyes (Usually wear glasses and her hair in a ponytail)
She had a bad acne breakout before just prior to leaving home

"On August 21, 2005, at about 1:30 PM, Heather's mother saw her leave in an older, possibly 1980's, model pick-up (Toyota or Datsun), blue in color, with a Hispanic Male adult 35 - 40 years old, 5'7", thin build with shirt, dark hair, and dark skin".

Fontana police have been trying to find Heather since August 22, 2005 and are out of leads. It is believed that she has possibly met a man on the internet and went away with him. There is a possibility Heather went to San Jose area because of some old family ties there.

This is all the information the investigator has given DeafHope at this point. DeafHope and Detective Tom Yarrington will appreciate anything you can do to spread the word.

As soon as DeafHope receives a picture of Heather from the Fontana Police Department, it will be posted on DeafHope website.

If you have seen Heather Estella Lopez, please contact Detective Tom Yarrington of Fontana's Sex Crimes and Child Abuse Unit at 909 350 7741 (V) or tyarrington@fontana.org

Thank you in advance,

Julie Rems-Smario, DeafHope Executive Director

DeafHope
22418 Mission Blvd.
Hayward, CA 94541
1.510.733.3133 TTY
1.510.733.3103 FAX
1.866.DeafHope 24/7 HOTLINE
contact@Deaf-Hope.org
www.Deaf-Hope.org

I was there with a minister from Texas on CSDR registration day. There was a lotta kids there. Also the parking lot area is a well known pickup location. Kids were even sitting on the parking lot the day before to be picked up by others in cars.

Richard

Last edited:
Another missing child..

Hopefully one day , will come and find her real soon and bring her return home safetly...

I have seen these "pickup" areas in front of the school when I went with my daughter in law to pick up my grandkids. I was appalled. We could never get by with something like this at a residential deaf school! It looks like that in the public schools, "Out of sight is out of mind".

I don't get it she is 19 years old same age as my son. They are legal adult. Why look for her if she is not happy at home with her family?

jazzy said:
I don't get it she is 19 years old same age as my son. They are legal adult. Why look for her if she is not happy at home with her family?

Hmm, jazz. Heather does not know who the guy is. When a stranger offers us a ride, we learned to refuse, right? But why did she accept the ride? We do not know. Like what the PD think, an internet is largely used by many teenagers who wants to meet in chat, games, messengers, and some sites. But some teenagers fall into the traps like Heather. They would think it's cool to meet someone their ages in person. They didn't know the risks that a person may acts and types like 16 or 19 years old. In fact, a person is really OLDER than what they state in their profiles. How would you know if she is not happy at home with her family? Her mom is worry, it means she really does care about her daughter. The mother reported her missing when she saw her daughter jumped into the vehicle and the stranger drove away with her in the car. So many youngs are missing.

I hope she'll be home safe. It's sad. :( Prayers continue for her and her families.

Very sad and scary... shes in my prayers...

I am sorry to know this....she's in our thoughts and hopefully she will return home safe and sound. :(

And they (the publisher of the article) called her mentally handicapped? Laff and a half!

I hate it when everyone panics for months when it's already been resolved as soon as it happened. I've seen this happen with a lot of "missing" cases... including the tsunami incident. I remember one thread with someone saying, "OMG! Help this girl find her family!" Well, they found her family a few days after the incident and the panic was made a year later. :roll:

Sure, we all panic and worry... but it's better to double check first. It's like thinking before doing.

Etoile said:
I'm confused, Tousi, why is that funny?

Hi, Etoile...are you of French ancestry? I am.

Anway, I was being sarcastic rather than laughing....aren't you hearing?
Anyway, that girl wasn't mentally handicapped. That's all I meant...

:applause: :applause: I am glad to hear that Heather has been found, and she is safe. If she is happier with her boyfriend, that is great, but, if she had some family difficulties for her to leave with this man in the first place, I hope she can resolve them. A story with a happy ending, I like that!! :)

Back