Update

Ryssie

Reaction score
So, I went to my audiologist a few days ago and after a battery of tests, we figured out that I have severe APD and unilateral hearing loss in my right ear, and fluctuated loss between both ears, and tinnitus. Instead of getting an FM, she now suggests a hearing aid with bells and whistles to help me with my problems (tinnitus, background noise etc.) But I guess now I can officially say that in both physical and neurological sense, I am Hard of Hearing. I'm glad that all my questions were answered, along with some new discoveries! I'm excited to explore more of the Deaf world, and for once, feel apart of it! PAH!

So, I went to my audiologist a few days ago and after a battery of tests, we figured out that I have severe APD and unilateral hearing loss in my right ear, and fluctuated loss between both ears, and tinnitus. Instead of getting an FM, she now suggests a hearing aid with bells and whistles to help me with my problems (tinnitus, background noise etc.) But I guess now I can officially say that in both physical and neurological sense, I am Hard of Hearing. I'm glad that all my questions were answered, along with some new discoveries! I'm excited to explore more of the Deaf world, and for once, feel apart of it! PAH!

Yayyy!!!! Welcome to Deaf world!!:D
What aid did your Audi recommend?

:ty: and I may get one with a bunch of features that block out background noise and amplifies voices, and probably for unilateral loss and also tinnitus conditioner. She didn't give me any specific name, she only explained some features. She's going to show me some soon and one we pick one, she'll program it to specifically meet my needs :)

:ty: and I may get one with a bunch of features that block out background noise and amplifies voices, and probably for unilateral loss and also tinnitus conditioner. She didn't give me any specific name, she only explained some features. She's going to show me some soon and one we pick one, she'll program it to specifically meet my needs :)

Cool! Do you know what brand you're getting?

Cool! Do you know what brand you're getting?

Probably Phonak. All the features she told me about are from that company. I've researched other brands, but none compared to the array of features from Phonak. But she'll let me know at my next appointment! But if there are other brands that also have the features I listed previously, I'd love take a look and check out available colour options :lol:

Probably Phonak. All the features she told me about are from that company. I've researched other brands, but none compared to the array of features from Phonak. But she'll let me know at my next appointment! But if there are other brands that also have the features I listed previously, I'd love take a look and check out available colour options :lol:

From how I understand the only Phonak brand hearing aid that has tinnitus feature in it, is the Audeo Q hearing aid :)

http://www.phonak.com/uk/b2c/en/products/hearing_instruments/audeo-q/hearing-aid.html

So, I went to my audiologist a few days ago and after a battery of tests, we figured out that I have severe APD

How did they test for the APD? And if you don't mind me asking, what type is it? In other words what symptoms do you have from it?

Ryssie, glad for you you have some resolution to this! I've been debating getting tested for CAPD for a few years now. Trying to find an audi who is knowledge can be a challenge but I do have a possibility.
How long did the testing take?

How did they test for the APD? And if you don't mind me asking, what type is it? In other words what symptoms do you have from it?

They put me in a sound proof room with some equipment, my audi did some testing from a separate room that took over 2 hours (supposed to be an hour but mine took longer). The testing was mainly speech in noise, different tones in different decibels, processing similar sounding words (bat, hat, cat), competing voices in both ears (telling who said what in each ear simultaneously, etc.).

:ty: dogmom! If you feel that there is a chance you may have APD, definitely get tested, testing should take an hour. I've known of my APD since I was very young. The severity of it was fully unveiled and the hearing loss solidified my inferences recently, if you need more advice about testing, coping, etc. feel free to PM me! :)

:wave:Ryssie, appreciate the explanation and your encouragement.
wow, takes less time than I would have expected....my testing for LD took all day.

I'm happy for you, I'll be looking to see how things go for you!

Back