Update on my son: 9.5 months old - now with CIs

jesse

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Some of you may remember me, some of you may not. You can check my posting history if you want. :) I just wanted to provide an update for those that are interested. If you're going to reply to this with something negative, please ignore that urge and move along. Thanks.

My son Evan had bilateral CI surgery on Sept 4. Originally it was supposed to be Aug 28, then that date was changed. After that the date was changed three more times, with 1 days notice! That was very frustrating for my wife and i.

The surgery was a sucess, everything looks very positive. He's getting better and better everyday, but we can tell that he's frustrated. When he had his HA's he was getting some sound, but since the surgery he's had nothing, that must be hard for him. Plus, he seems to shake his head, sort of like when someone shakes their head when they get water in their ears. I guess he feels pressure or something, i wish i could tell. He has his follow up with Dr. Papsin tomorrow, so we'll ask all our questions then.

He gets the equipment on Sept 22, and has his first of 4 activations on Sept 30, and we are really looking forward to it.

It seems to be becoming more common for children to receive bilateral CI surgery in Canada these days. I met one last year. However, in the USA, it's a different story. Most children in USA still get implanted with one at a time, not two.

Hope you succeed with the CI. However, I do suggest that you use both Spoken/Written English and ASL (American Sign Language) to boost your child's language development. Believe it or not, it will benefit your child in a big way.

Good luck. :)

Hurray for Evan!! My Samantha had the same responses. She had her first implant @ 15 months. The second just now,8 years later, July 16. She told me the doctor "broke "her cause she couldn't hear her gameboy. (She used to hold it to her unimplanted ear and just listen) About the second day after this surgery she started telling me there was something in her ear...after reading more here I have learned it was dried blood...Hope it goes great for Evan...Good Luck!!

However, I do suggest that you use both Spoken/Written English and ASL (American Sign Language) to boost your child's language development
Seconded! Many of us here are VERY happy we have speech abilty. Nobody is saying "ASL only".....We're just suggesting that maybe it might be a good idea for your son to have a full toolbox of tools, in addition to speech.
Give him the choice. You really don't want to do Monday morning quaterbacking and look back ten or fifteen years from now, and think " I should have given him Sign" You don't want to have your son ask you " Why didn't you give me Sign as well as CIs? " That is a question that many of us here have had to ask our own parents.

It seems to be becoming more common for children to receive bilateral CI surgery in Canada these days. I met one last year. However, in the USA, it's a different story. Most children in USA still get implanted with one at a time, not two.

Hope you succeed with the CI. However, I do suggest that you use both Spoken/Written English and ASL (American Sign Language) to boost your child's language development. Believe it or not, it will benefit your child in a big way.

Good luck. :)

Ditto. Very sound advise.

If you're going to reply to this with something negative, please ignore that urge and move along. Thanks.

I laughed out loud when I read this. I know the decision to have surgery was not made lightly. Best of luck to you as you raise your child.

Congrats on the surgery - I hope it is successful and that your son benefits from it :)

As someone who was born hh/Deaf myself and grew up oral only because it was "recommended by the professionals" ... I also would encourage your family to pursue using both speech and listening skills along side the use of ASL, and possibly cued speech as well. The more communication options your family and most especially your son has, the easier it will be for him throughout his life.

Although I have "hearing speech" - looking back, the regret my mum and I share is that my options in communication were limited, because my family was afraid that learning ASL, would inhibit somehow my speech ... when I finally learned ASL as a young adult, the opposite happened - armed with the confidence in communication I gained in learning and socializing in an ASL environment, I generally became more outgoing and social ... I only wish I'd had that confidence as a child

Congrats on the surgery - I hope it is successful and that your son benefits from it :)

As someone who was born hh/Deaf myself and grew up oral only because it was "recommended by the professionals" ... I also would encourage your family to pursue using both speech and listening skills along side the use of ASL, and possibly cued speech as well. The more communication options your family and most especially your son has, the easier it will be for him throughout his life.

Although I have "hearing speech" - looking back, the regret my mum and I share is that my options in communication were limited, because my family was afraid that learning ASL, would inhibit somehow my speech ... when I finally learned ASL as a young adult, the opposite happened - armed with the confidence in communication I gained in learning and socializing in an ASL environment, I generally became more outgoing and social ... I only wish I'd had that confidence as a child

It was exactly the same for me growing up.

Congrats! I am with many others about using ASL along with speech. Good luck!

Hey,

If you're curious, you should check out Drew's Blog. Very cute! He also received bilateral CI at a young age. It was said that he was the youngest in Ohio to get bilateral. Check out his journey.

Drew's Blog - Turn On My Ears Can't wait to hear about his activation day!

PS - Yes, I would say almost all of us with CI has a weird pressure, feeling like there's something in our ear. It's just dry blood. Since they opened up a small hole, so the "air space" has been filled up with blood. it will get better after a couple days. I hated that especially that i went through it twice. I was just sensitive! :)

Back