Update from 2006 to 2008

RainGurl

Reaction score
i haven't been on for a long time. I will probably pop in and out. But I just wanted to give you some victory news. For those that do remember me. I had a hard fight with the Board of Education, for three long years. I finally realize that this is nothing new. It's all ihe history books. Actually it's what makes us Deaf people special. We come from a long line of fighters (wondered why there was that stubborn streak in me LOL) smile. Anyhow ASL vs Oralist in the schools. Sucks I know. But we won. I wasn't going to give up that easy. Both of my beautiful Deaf daughters are now enrolled in a Deaf school. They take ASL classes, they are surrounded by peers and adults to look up to. I am so pleased. I feel like I have my heart back. I read in the book 'Inside Deaf Culture' where Veditz says,' These teachers are sacrificing them [deaf childre] to the oral Moloch that destroys the mind and soul of the deaf.'
That right there my friends is what nearly happened to my daughters. Finally now they are in their own Deaf world, where they are free to be themselves, who they are, where they belong. Where they can celebrate the life of Deaf.

After a long fierce fight I have not only did I find the man of my dreams (who is Deaf), he and I went up against the Superattendent of the Board of Education and challenged them and their "theory" they would not be educated properly because of the influence of ASL.

My daughters are finally where they belong. They have experienced a HUGE piece of heaven.

Thank you for all of your support and love.
Sincerely, Rain

Awesome to see you in here! I am glad everything went well!!! :thumb:

PS Do you have Facebook? Lemme know! PM me for more info! :)

Once again, welcome back!

Wow great happy glad all went well and you and your daughters are enjoying life :) yay!

Hey RainGurl -

Welcome Back! It's good to see you back on the forum. :thumb: Do come here when you can. :)

I'm glad to see that this "fight" has been well served for your daughters. Your daughters deserves the best, education wise!

Good to see you again.
Glad to hear your daughters is doing well and learning what it is like to belong. :)

Come back and post again.

Welcome back!

I'm glad that you won the battle for your daughters education.

Do come here when you can. :)

Hey RainGurl .. I am happy to hear the news that you won! That is so wonderful!!! :)

Just don't forget us! Do come back whenever you can and let us know how things are going, ok? We missed you! :)

Wow, This is indeed a very good news that you have won the rights for your two Deaf daughters to attend the Deaf school where the school have ASL. Fighting the battle for three longs years is worth it and you got the right. Us, Deafies and some HOH really need ASL very much because it is much simpler and easier to understand ASL than trying to lipread. I am very proud of you that you won the case. Looking forward to posting here and welcome back to AllDeaf forum. We surely miss you here. Keep posting. :hug:

I am SO glad they ended up at a Deaf School! That rawks! Also helps save the Deaf School. There also seems to be a connection that Deaf School kids have that mainstream kids don't.......Like I do not have ANY feelings whatsoever for the high school I attended.

No wonder I havent seen you here. LOL anyway glad thing goes well for you and your daughters. Do come back and post some. :wave:

Congratulations, Raingurl!!!!

How'd it come to having a situation where others tried to undermine your authority as a parent by forcing your kids to be mainstreamed in a school?? I don't understand that part.... sounds scary.

Back