Up all night

mackiki

Reaction score
So I was awake most of the night thinking about my new reality. I am losing my hearing. The chances are it will be fast rather than slow. If I follow my uncles pattern I have a year or two left. I've also noticed it has gotten rapidly worse over a few months. I was in denial for a while. Especially after I went for a hearing test and they said I was fine. The doctor said he can't tell me if I will lose all my hearing. He said there is a chance it will stop progressing. I called about 5 minutes ago to make an appt for a hearing aid fitting. He told me I can come in today so I am. I don't know what to expect when I put them on. Anyone have any input? Also are the Phonak bolero q-sp hearing aids any good? Should I start looking for ASL classes in preparation for the worst? I could use a friend right now. I told one or two of my friends and they didn't seem to know what to say. Thanks again.

I don't know what to expect when I put them on. Anyone have any input? Also are the Phonak bolero q-sp hearing aids any good? Should I start looking for ASL classes in preparation for the worst? I could use a friend right now. I told one or two of my friends and they didn't seem to know what to say. Thanks again.

You don't need to get ahead of yourself; it's like borrowing grief for something that hasn't happened yet or may not for quite a while. Your hearing could stay at this level for a good 10 or 15 years without moving. If you have an interest in the language that's different. I've never learned ASL and I've managed fine with the hearing aids.

Phonak is a good name; the reactions are different for each person but in general things will sound louder, but not overly so. He'll ask you for feedback about how everything sounds and you'll both discuss where adjustements need to be made. He'll probably talk about the various features and how they can help you dealing with people one on one, your students, the TV, phone, etc. This is often the fun part of hearing aids so go in with an open mind.

Thanks. I am heading there in about 15mins. I am guessing I won't walk out of there with the hearing aids today? He probably has to order them. You have been helpful and calmed my nerves a little. I may try for the ASL class they offer through my library. It interests me a bit and the classes are not expensive. They have beginner through advanced.

Thanks. I am heading there in about 15mins. I am guessing I won't walk out of there with the hearing aids today? He probably has to order them. You have been helpful and calmed my nerves a little. I may try for the ASL class they offer through my library. It interests me a bit and the classes are not expensive. They have beginner through advanced.

The first visit will be to discuss the hearing aids and some of the features you can expect and how they'll make things easier for you. The ear molds will be made - which is painless and quick. I actually find it to the fun part myself. The hearing aids will probably be available in two to four weeks depending on the company's backlog, but they should arrive quickly. They typically don't long. The process for the molds really only takes seconds so he'll be speaking more about what advantages you can expect and he may go into how to care for them but most usually hold off until you have them in hand.

Sign language, if the classes are cheap, would be a nice distraction for you so you're not dwelling on everything so much. You'll probably meet some lovely and inspirational people too. Getting out and being with people and staying involved in something is important for your overall wellbeing; this doesn't need to be such an isolating experience and you may meet some people in the class going through a similar situation. They can also be helpful in dispelling some of the anxiety you have. I had a Spanish teacher that was quite deaf and hearing aids really helped her on the job so don't approach this as a gloom and doom for your career. Hearing devices have come a long way and I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

All done. They should be in a week to ten days. The molds didnt take long at all. We talked and he said again he can't tell me what the future will hold. He did tell me that the aids will only improve my life. I'm getting kind of excited. He told me that I won't have to crank the TV all the way up which will be nice. We made an apt 2 weeks from today because they will be in by then. :). If they aren't he is going to call me. I went with a sand color that matches my hair. Still super nervous. Just gotta take things one step at a time.

So I was awake most of the night thinking about my new reality. I am losing my hearing. The chances are it will be fast rather than slow. If I follow my uncles pattern I have a year or two left. I've also noticed it has gotten rapidly worse over a few months. I was in denial for a while. Especially after I went for a hearing test and they said I was fine. The doctor said he can't tell me if I will lose all my hearing. He said there is a chance it will stop progressing. I called about 5 minutes ago to make an appt for a hearing aid fitting. He told me I can come in today so I am. I don't know what to expect when I put them on. Anyone have any input? Also are the Phonak bolero q-sp hearing aids any good? Should I start looking for ASL classes in preparation for the worst? I could use a friend right now. I told one or two of my friends and they didn't seem to know what to say. Thanks again.

It all kinda hit me in a wave, at one point, too. As previously stated, there's no need to get into any kinda rush, and live on borrowed grief. It's not the end of the world. Learning ASL never hurts, regardless of hearing ability. I'd take classes. :) I'm learning online, until I start college next spring.

Back