Untreated hearing loss

cmarie519

Reaction score
When I was in about 4th grade we did the beep hearing test at school and I did really bad. But they ended up saying that the head phones were closing my ears or something ( I have very small ears). Again in 7th grade(or sometime in middle school) I did bad on another school hearing test, so my parents and I finally went to an audiologist and they pretty much told me that i had the hearing of a 60 year old man but it wasn't bad enough to do anything about (which I never really understood). I thought that i was just going to have to learn how to live with it. I went though high school missing 80 percent of what was being said by females (their voices are harder for me to hear). After my first year in college (I go to a community college because i knew the classes would be small) I couldn't take it anymore, and I knew something had to be done. About 5 months ago i got my first set of hearing aid and my grades went from c's and d's to a's and b's. I was wondering if anyone else has had something like this happen to them?

When I was in about 4th grade we did the beep hearing test at school and I did really bad. But they ended up saying that the head phones were closing my ears or something ( I have very small ears). Again in 7th grade(or sometime in middle school) I did bad on another school hearing test, so my parents and I finally went to an audiologist and they pretty much told me that i had the hearing of a 60 year old man but it wasn't bad enough to do anything about (which I never really understood). I thought that i was just going to have to learn how to live with it. I went though high school missing 80 percent of what was being said by females (their voices are harder for me to hear). After my first year in college (I go to a community college because i knew the classes would be small) I couldn't take it anymore, and I knew something had to be done. About 5 months ago i got my first set of hearing aid and my grades went from c's and d's to a's and b's. I was wondering if anyone else has had something like this happen to them?

:welcome: Gosh, that's almost the story of my life, as well as most of the other people here! I barely made it through 4th grade and the teachers told my parents to come in for a conference. When they got there, the teachers told them to watch the girl in the ten minute movie, because that's what I was doing in the classroom. When the doctor and audiologist were told this, their reply was that if they had known it, they would have done a more thorough job. I had my hearing tested all grades leading up to fourth, but still, it was the "professionals" that screwed up, not to mention the psychologist. He had to apologize to my parents for diagnosing me as "mentally retarded." Many here have the same or similar stories. Glad you're on the right track!

Thanks for your reply, I dont know anyone who is deaf or hard of hearing and its good to know that I'm not alone!:D

:welcome: to AD here, Cmarie519!!! That is right that you are not alone. I was misdisagnosed as autuism(not sure about spelling). That is exactly what happen when the professionals and the doctors make the wrong disagnose mistook for something other than our deafness. That made us get all piss off when I found out and so are my parents, too. But at the time they still thinking of them as the "experts". Right now, they are deceased and never have the time to tell me what happen and how they feel of what the doctor said to my parents back then. So you are not alone. :sad:

That is rough!! Interestingly enough it took

my parents a few years to figure it out AFTER I had menigitis. I TRULY believe that if my toddler came home from three week hospital stay and in a matter of a month or two seemed CONSISTENLY disobedient (ignoring "no" etc) I think I would have her ears checked. BUT it took my parents years (I just don't get it) But, I do in a way cuz this is what happened with my own son. He soooo tough as a toddler, always frustrated, disobedient- I kept thinking, he needs to have his hearing checked. I was ignored. I was told I was overreacting. I was told he "is strong willed" etc FInally, he had three years of speech- his ears were checked. I was RIGHT!! He was hearing "charlie brown" voices. TUBES and Adnenoid removal and he is a HAPPY, EXCELLING child!!!

Welcome cmarie! Yes, you'll find that there are a lot of mildly hoh kids who fell through the cracks! Matter of fact, just like pek's experiance, it was very common for mildly hoh kids to be misdx as MR in the old days.

Yes-CMarie you are definitly not the only one. My mother had some major issues around deafness and to this day will deny I have hearing issues. I always wonder if my grades would have been decent if I couldv'e heard everything...Glad to know yours went up!!

Welcome cmarie! Yes, you'll find that there are a lot of mildly hoh kids who fell through the cracks! Matter of fact, just like pek's experiance, it was very common for mildly hoh kids to be misdx as MR in the old days.

And, may I say . . . "Thank God the 'good ole days' are gone!" Except I don't have a mild hearing loss. :) Everyone was diagnosed as MR.

Back