University Students:Access To Education

evil_queen_lisa

Reaction score
Just curious to all the other university/college students out there, how do you access your education?

I currently use FM (smartlink) for classess where the prof's 1st language is english w/o an accent. Otherwise I get a computerized notetaker that is *supposed* to type out word-for-word what is said.

For those of you who lost your hearing over time and had to switch methods: when did you switch, what did you switch from/to, and how did it affect you?

Just curious!
Thanks!
*EQL*

Supposedly notetakers in every lecture and a personal loop system (where the lecturer wears the microphone and I wear the reciever)

Supposedly notetakers in every lecture and a personal loop system (where the lecturer wears the microphone and I wear the reciever)

personal loop.. so like an FM but through T-Coil instead of recievers? Do you have computer note takers or just peer note takers?
*EQL*

personal loop.. so like an FM but through T-Coil instead of recievers? Do you have computer note takers or just peer note takers?
*EQL*

Yeah, I think that's right. I have/had a written notetaker who then transcribes it later, I don't see the notes during the lecture, I am concentrating on listening and lipreading the lecturer, so I get the emailed to me.

I just have a note buddy now since my class is so small but before I used to have a computerized notetaker for the classes with teachers that I couldn't understand and then I had a peer notetaker (my friend who i got to transfer to all my classes since we were in the same program) to do the rest of my class notes as well as personal FM system. Some of my teachers would also give me the powerpoint presentations and her notes beforehand so that if I misses something while she spoke she wouldn't have to back track.

ya, i have a peer note taker in a class too, but i find they seem to mostly just copy out the slides (where as i have the slides already from the prof). i like it when they write what the prof said, as i can't listen/lipread and write at the same time. When im well rested i can sometimes type while listening/lipreading, but not otherwise.
I'm having an issue with one prof right now; not her fault, at that point in the day i've already had 5 hours of class and so by the time i have her class she sounds like a robot. Talked to my audie, he says its my brain not the HAs (since when im not tired she sounds fine). Gonna talk to my access. dept. about some sort of help, either computerized note taker (to do word-for-word) or sim-comm.
*EQL*

Hi everyone:
For myself I sit in clas watching, not hearing a darn thing. No peer note takers. Everyone declined. I could not use FM any longer since I couldn't hear. Some times I can piece together a word or two. I'm waiting for a scribe. Husband going dissability support to make them move faster. So Far I can figure out the assignments. Husband ex-biker scares everyone, says I'm to patient. He going to get something done....So for me I try not to day dream since I'm ignored by everyone in two of my classes. I now sit in back, tired of being stared at. My service animal Bubba lets me know whats going on. So far its Luck and a blessing from God at the same time.
I got more homework to do, I will check in and chat soon.

Hi everyone:
For myself I sit in clas watching, not hearing a darn thing. No peer note takers. Everyone declined. I could not use FM any longer since I couldn't hear. Some times I can piece together a word or two. I'm waiting for a scribe. Husband going dissability support to make them move faster. So Far I can figure out the assignments. Husband ex-biker scares everyone, says I'm to patient. He going to get something done....So for me I try not to day dream since I'm ignored by everyone in two of my classes. I now sit in back, tired of being stared at. My service animal Bubba lets me know whats going on. So far its Luck and a blessing from God at the same time.
I got more homework to do, I will check in and chat soon.

They really need to hurry up and arrange something. Have you considered asking your prof if you can speak to the class about notes? Maybe if you explain someone will offer?

*EQL*

Back