University of Tenn... Is it a good program

Crystal71

Reaction score
Hi ya'll..
Thinking about transferring to UT for Deaf Studies, Deaf Ed program..but most Cali people I know somewhat related to Deaf community say "where".... this isn't a good thing for me... I want to know what Deaf community says about the program.. I really don't want to go to CSUN. I've heard that the CSUN program is going down hill..

any comments

Crystal

I'm a CSUN alumnus. I don't hear anything about it going downhill. I was recently on campus at the beginning of the semester, everything was looking good, the fairly new director Roz Rosen is making strides in the weaknesses such as good interpreters being poached by VRS agencies for higher salaries. A number of interpreters are still around because they love interpreting school, not because of money.

I can put you in touch with students there to get the pulse of the place. PM me.

I think University of Arizona has a good Deaf ed program and do does McDaniel's college in MD.

Crystal.. UT is a decent school.. its very large though.. you may want to look just across the river to Maryville College.. Its a very nice liberal arts college.. and just a bit of history.. they were the first college in the country to have a degree in sign language interpreting..

Crystal.. UT is a decent school.. its very large though.. you may want to look just across the river to Maryville College.. Its a very nice liberal arts college.. and just a bit of history.. they were the first college in the country to have a degree in sign language interpreting..

I attended the University of Tn as an undergraduate for a short time many years ago. I transferred out, as I wasn't terribly fond of walking up and down hills constantly, nor was I impressed with their program for my major.
Jasper is correct....it is a huge impersonal place, and unless things have changed drastically, don't have a large deaf population at the school, even though the state school for the deaf is in the same town.

i don't know what PM means... new to site. :)

Simply means: 'private message' This is a feature that Alldeaf provides for members here who wishes to send/communicate privately with another member. You'll see it underlined on top of your screen under your username, clicking on where it's underlined will open a new window of your 'inbox' and options are listed on the left side such as: Send New Messages

If you need further help with navigating here in AD, you can ask me or any of the other moderators here in AD. ;)

~RR

Clarify interest in UT

Hey again,
Personally, I want to attend UT because they have the Teacher Education program.. I want to teach Deaf/HoH...and there are very few schools that offer a program to learn to specifically teach the D/Hoh.... is that clearer?

c

Hey again,
Personally, I want to attend UT because they have the Teacher Education program.. I want to teach Deaf/HoH...and there are very few schools that offer a program to learn to specifically teach the D/Hoh.... is that clearer?

c

Shel could offer you recommendations in that area. I believe her undergraduate degree is special ed. and her graduate degree is deaf ed. Have you considered perhaps contacting faculty at schools for the deaf nationwide and see what their recommendations might be?

Hey again,

c

Yeah, that's definitely a speciality of CSUN, I dated someone who did Deaf Ed there, my mom graduated with her MA degree in Special Ed, and several of my friends from school are teachers all over the nation -- Colorado School for the Deaf, New Mexico School for the Deaf, California School for the Deaf Fremont, some even became college ASL professors.

Again, "Private Message" me (click on my name and then click on "Send Private Message" and I can give you names and you can even ask these people yourself what it was like going to school to teach the deaf.

did ya do research on eastern Ky univerusty- have deaf program, ITP and deaf commuity too

Back