University Captioning

Schools are required by law to provide "reasonable accommodation" and we don't have a choice as to what that accommodation is as long as "reasonable" is the key word.

To get a captionist, I would first say that an interpreter is NOT a reasonable accommodation--maybe because you don't know ASL or maybe because aliens ate all the certified interpreters. Whatever your reason is, you rule out the interpreter option. Then you make the case that captioning is the most viable reasonable accommodation.

:rofl:

True--if you really think that it'll benefit you, you're going to have to play "lawyer" in front of a bunch of people. You just to have to make a case for why and how they should accommodate you.

:rofl:

True--if you really think that it'll benefit you, you're going to have to play "lawyer" in front of a bunch of people. You just to have to make a case for why and how they should accommodate you.

I agree with fyborg, I tried to get my university to help deaf people, but it felt like I was talking to a wall!! I don't have a single facility that helps me as a deaf person, that shows how much it sucks!!

Kashveera

I agree with fyborg, I tried to get my university to help deaf people, but it felt like I was talking to a wall!! I don't have a single facility that helps me as a deaf person, that shows how much it sucks!!

Kashveera

Not only the powers-that-be are "deaf" they're also made out of brick.

Thats pretty impressive... I wished I could get it, as I had heard something of it in some univs. Here, my univ. doesnt tell me I am not deaf enough... they provide what they can provide. And going according to the law, they are supposed to help in whatever way they can. I am not in RIT/NTID, so there are about 2 dozens deaf/HOH students, but they all rely on note-takers, FM systems, ASL interp. And as for myself, I am struggling to find a way out, because a notetaker is not useful for my major (i am in computer sciences), i dont know sign language, my hearing aids dont help 99% and still i am trying to cope up with the large class size of 60-100 students.

Its pretty frustrating for me, because I dont know what will help best, but I have to do with what is available to me. I only wished I could afford to get to RIT - they dont even offer any sort of financial aid, nt even scholarships!!

I can understand that, for a year now I have been requesting RTC or interpreting services and at first they did not tell me I was Deaf enough, then they said its too expensive and they don't have to do it, so I gave them a copy of the law regarding privet universities and ADA, then they said they did not know I knew sign in spite of the fact that me and my roommate are always signing and they have seen us.

Wow. I'm angry and frustrated just reading this! There has got to be some sort of ADA issue here but as usual I'm at a loss when it comes to legal technicalities. I suppose the "reasonable accommodations" clause comes into effect and they can claim they've done everything "reasonable" to assist you.

Obviously the disabilities office at your school is useless if they're telling you you're not deaf enough. Have you tried going to the dean or any other higher-level members of the administration? This seems totally unacceptable to me. With two dozen deaf/HOH students they don't have any RTC'ers??

Ust a little info--universities (in the U.S.) are required to provide the accommodation requested by the student, unless they can prove that the accommodation they are willing to provide is equally as beneficial as the one requested by the student. I jsut ran into this a little while ago when an hh student requested a specific model of FM system that was compatible with their HA, and the adminsitration told me to order the cheaper model. Had to get an audiologist's statement saying that the model they proposed would not work for this student.

Ust a little info--universities (in the U.S.) are required to provide the accommodation requested by the student, unless they can prove that the accommodation they are willing to provide is equally as beneficial as the one requested by the student. I jsut ran into this a little while ago when an hh student requested a specific model of FM system that was compatible with their HA, and the adminsitration told me to order the cheaper model. Had to get an audiologist's statement saying that the model they proposed would not work for this student.

I am aware that it is by law in US to provide better reasonable accomodations, but it is not always easy persuading the university to supply you with the right accomodations. Many times I have come across my advisor and was told - we can do our best with what we have! And I had to decide whether to accept this circumstance or fight further for better services. Today, I am on the Disability Review Group at the university, and I have been pledging since last year to implement RTC for the benefit of other students. Currently I use a SmartLink FM system, though it doesnt help that much either!

I envy you all those studying in the United States, and now that I am graduating, I am hoping to do my masters after a while in US. I am just sick of sticking to Canada where reforms actually take place once in every 10 years!

Back