"Universal Sign Language" could be the "Universal Language"

Cut4sign

Reaction score
Why couldn't "Universal Sign Language" become the world's "Universal Language"?

First of all, I'm not deaf but my wife is learning to be a interpreter and I've often wondered why we couldn't use sign language as a second language for everyone? I've done some searching on the internet about it and found this site and wanted to ask your opinion on this.

Can you imagine being able to travel anywhere in the world and be able to communicate with people? This could be possible to some extent if we helped promote the already established universal sign language system “Gestuno” or even incorporate some of the “European Creole” sign that is already being used. The only reason I could find that Gestuno has not been accepted is because it was used in such limited circumstances like world conferences with deaf people. Now if it were taught by every child around the world as a second language it would catch on very quickly and the world could start communicating with a “Universal Language”!

I realize that you could not adapt every English word or foreign language word into a universal sign but that’s not needed. We only need to have a large list of signs that could help people communicate.

The best thing about this is that all the people of the deaf community would finally be able to communicate with everyone… wouldn’t that be a great thing?

Please let me a good explanation why this wouldn’t work.

Cut4sign

Hmm, I always thought this already to be the case. Body language is the clue.

well think about this with english you have American, Canadian, British, Australian, and to some extent South African. Same language but we all speak it differently. Even in England there are certain accents that are very hard for the average American to understand. In fact with my southern draw when i speak to people up north, MA, NY, NJ, they have a difficult time understanding me, and mine is not THAT thick. after a while regional differences would cause it to change so much that it would not be universal after a while, and as with any language if it isn't used everyday you will forget it if you learn it in school then never use it again you will not be able to remember it should the occasion arise. Good idea, but i don't think it will work. English is the language of commerce and many countries teach it as a required course, but it is not a universal language.

First of all, Gestuno is a man-made "language" really a system of gestures, it is not a language. We also have Esperanto, the "universal spoken language," why don't we ever hear about that?
Although the concept of a universal language is great in theory, it simply doesn't work. First of all, there are places that it just couldn't reach. Second of all, so many people are against sign language and find them inferior even if there were a "universal" language, it is doubtful it would be signed. If the reason for it to be signed would be to include deaf people, well, then you are leaving blind people out of the loop. Plus, if the "universal" language was signed, it couldn't be used on the phone, a HUGE negative in the business world. Yes, videophones could be released, but portable ones, that you could use, say, while walking through an airport...doubtful. Plus, no matter what, this universal language would need a written form if any legal documents were to be used with it. Signed languages and written forms don't usually mix well. Sorry, but there are some reasons.

First of all, Gestuno is a man-made "language" really a system of gestures, it is not a language. We also have Esperanto, the "universal spoken language," why don't we ever hear about that?
Although the concept of a universal language is great in theory, it simply doesn't work. First of all, there are places that it just couldn't reach. Second of all, so many people are against sign language and find them inferior even if there were a "universal" language, it is doubtful it would be signed. If the reason for it to be signed would be to include deaf people, well, then you are leaving blind people out of the loop. Plus, if the "universal" language was signed, it couldn't be used on the phone, a HUGE negative in the business world. Yes, videophones could be released, but portable ones, that you could use, say, while walking through an airport...doubtful. Plus, no matter what, this universal language would need a written form if any legal documents were to be used with it. Signed languages and written forms don't usually mix well. Sorry, but there are some reasons.

Signer16,

You're the first one to come up with legitimate reasons it would not work.

I'm seeing sign being taught in schools more recently and It seemed like it could be a good thing for everyone to learn a little sign but maybe the world is not ready for any kind of universal Language. Maybe everyone likes having there own "Hood".... hell... we can't get Americans to convert to Metric even though everyone else is... what was I thinking??

Cut4sign

I'd like for there to be an universal (sign) language and written script that is widely recognized by everyone in the world, too. Anything is possible when we put our minds to it.

Technology can be adapted to need, not the way around IMO. In some ways, convenience hinders the progress of human civilization!

Be careful when one refers to Americans in a general sense - because I use the metric system and 24 hour format for time without problems. I do it all the time. It's not nice to put down people, period, during an argument or discussion or even out of frustration. Vinegar, honey, you know.

Back