Unitron Max

evil_queen_lisa

Reaction score
HI Everyone,
sorry it has been a long time (years?) since I last posted.
I am thinking of getting new HAs soon as my Phonak Naida UPs from 3 years ago are not doing so hot. One is eating through batteries and I generally can't stand the way they sound. I don't use them as often as I should but when I do, I use the vibrations that I feel because my loss is profound that there is no real distinction between "hearing" and "feeling" (my loss is cookie-bite shaped, 80 or 90 down to 110 or 120 up to 80 or 90. I don't know the actual frequencies offhand). I use ASL in class but I do find the HAs can help with lipreading in quiet situations. Anything with background noise and I can't differentiate anything.

I have recently (within the last 2 weeks) started to listen to music again. I haven't listened to music for about 3 years (pretty much since I got the naidas and smartlink. Before that I had DAI inputs and would plug my iPod directly into them). I started to listen to some music this summer because I had a car with an upgraded stereo system and could blast it. Take out my hearing aids and it was ok. Couldn't make out any lyrics of course, but the beats were ok for some songs. I find with my Naidas, even on the "music program" that music sounds like $%!# so when I go to a bar or something I don't recognize the songs because they don't sound the same.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried the new Unitron Max? I have also been told that there have been great improvements to the Naidas since I got mine, so I might trial those new ones again too. I think the most important things for me are 1) environmental awareness 2) lipreading assistance and 3) natural sounding music (aka sounds through my hearing aids like it sounds without a hearing aid at the bar). I do have a Smartlink+ so I will probably get FM boots to go with that, but I would prefer DAI input to be able to directly plug an iPod into the HAs and skip the middle-man smartlink.

Thoughts?
Comments?

Thanks,
*EQL*

I have the Naida S UPs and I was told there is a huge improvement in sound quality between the Naida Cores and the Naida Spice Plus.

Hope your new aids are a lot better :)

I find with my Naidas, even on the "music program" that music sounds like $%!# so when I go to a bar or something I don't recognize the songs because they don't sound the same.

Thanks for backing me up, Lisa. I knew I wasn't crazy. I tried those hearing aids, and I was supremely pissed at the quality. I took the damn things back a few days later and had that audiologist released from my case (or should I say fired).

I ended up getting the GN ReSound Sparx, which were not that much better, and they ended up staying in my safe after being unable to use them at work, as I couldn't understand people, both coworkers and customers alike, not even tell if the person making the intercom page was a man or a woman, and could no longer hear the bike sensors, cash register sensors, and the jacket chain sensors anywhere near the distances I was used to hearing them at with the old analog E4s. And of course, the music sounded like crap.

I recall the Unitrons I tried a while back had problems, but I don't remember what it was, so don't quote me on this. Or maybe it was the Intertons? I just know the name of them ended in "on."

Thanks for backing me up, Lisa. I knew I wasn't crazy. I tried those hearing aids, and I was supremely pissed at the quality. I took the damn things back a few days later and had that audiologist released from my case (or should I say fired).

I ended up getting the GN ReSound Sparx, which were not that much better, and they ended up staying in my safe after being unable to use them at work, as I couldn't understand people, both coworkers and customers alike, not even tell if the person making the intercom page was a man or a woman, and could no longer hear the bike sensors, cash register sensors, and the jacket chain sensors anywhere near the distances I was used to hearing them at with the old analog E4s. And of course, the music sounded like crap.

I recall the Unitrons I tried a while back had problems, but I don't remember what it was, so don't quote me on this. Or maybe it was the Intertons? I just know the name of them ended in "on."

Have you tried the Naida S as the sound quality has really improved from the Naida Core to the Naida S?

I got the Naida S 111 UP's a month ago. I like them better than what I had. I got them to improve my communications at work and screwed up by not getting a telecoil for landlines in them. I should have talked to the audiologist before mentioning to my boss that I could not hear on our required landlines. Now I am unemployed. I spent the money so I better get used to them.
The sound is good and I like not having amp squeal. I went back a couple of times getting the background sounds kind of pushed back and voices more upfront. It helped - I swear though that there is something going on like the background sounds sneaking back to their old volume overwhelming peoples voices. I am beginning to think that these may need a regular reboot say every three weeks.
Another thing is the coverage of the microphones does not meet in the middle- two on each side, one front one back but right where my ear actually aims straight out there is a complete lack of coverage on both sides.

I got the Naida S 111 UP's a month ago. I like them better than what I had. I got them to improve my communications at work and screwed up by not getting a telecoil for landlines in them. I should have talked to the audiologist before mentioning to my boss that I could not hear on our required landlines. Now I am unemployed. I spent the money so I better get used to them.
The sound is good and I like not having amp squeal. I went back a couple of times getting the background sounds kind of pushed back and voices more upfront. It helped - I swear though that there is something going on like the background sounds sneaking back to their old volume overwhelming peoples voices. I am beginning to think that these may need a regular reboot say every three weeks.
Another thing is the coverage of the microphones does not meet in the middle- two on each side, one front one back but right where my ear actually aims straight out there is a complete lack of coverage on both sides.

You can get telecoil put into your aids really easy.
As for the re boots, sounds like you need some more adjustments. I've had no issue with needing these re booting or anything. Background noise and speech are fine for me.
Microphone wise, there is just 2 mics, on top of the aids under the grey covers. There isn't ones on the sides.
You should go back and get more adjustments.

You can get telecoil put into your aids really easy.
As for the re boots, sounds like you need some more adjustments. I've had no issue with needing these re booting or anything. Background noise and speech are fine for me.
Microphone wise, there is just 2 mics, on top of the aids under the grey covers. There isn't ones on the sides.
You should go back and get more adjustments.
Hi-thanks for the response, I am going by where the sound comes to me from in describing the two mikes per hearing aid. I am going back for the telecoil and more adjusting. Thank you!
There is lots of adjustment in these things- pretty amazing to have such awesome sound quality. I like the water resistant thing with them too. I wish I had these things years ago when I was struggling through school.

Last edited:
Hi-thanks for the response, I am going by where the sound comes to me from in describing the two mikes per hearing aid. I am going back for the telecoil and more adjusting. Thank you!
There is lots of adjustment in these things- pretty amazing to have such awesome sound quality. I like the water resistant thing with them too. I wish I had these things years ago when I was struggling through school.

That's good.
Naidas have so much to them that they need more adjustments then usual. Personally I only had 4 adjustments including fitting but some people have had a lot more :)

It was interesting trying to describe the adjustments I wanted. Like so many things kept at it and insisted too and got amazingly close. It is not so easy for me to be able to say the right words to describe what my senses are telling me, in such a way that someone else can sort it out. The real challenge for me is often to sort through what they think and and then say no that is not it. Lets try this. And sometimes say it three or four times getting there. I am kind of envious of the ones who do it easy- it helps to see what they do.

I don't know if the IIIs would be powerful enough. I have to have the most powerful model. But anyway, sorry about your loss... I face the same thing if I am no longer able to understand my customers in person. Fortunately, I don't have to do phones because there is NO WAY I can understand well enough. I just don't have that much residual hearing for that. All it would take for me to lose my job is to run out of E4s...

I don't know if the IIIs would be powerful enough. I have to have the most powerful model. But anyway, sorry about your loss... I face the same thing if I am no longer able to understand my customers in person. Fortunately, I don't have to do phones because there is NO WAY I can understand well enough. I just don't have that much residual hearing for that. All it would take for me to lose my job is to run out of E4s...

III are the most powerful for her as they are UPs not SPs, lol!

From my understanding, your ML10i's will fit the Unitron max :)

Back