Unilaterally hoh

Mattimeo

Reaction score
I am very hard of hearing on my right side and use a hearing aid. My hearing in my left ear is much better than in my right, but it is increasingly sub-normal. The hearing aid works well but not perfectly. Without it I find sound very confusing; I don't know where anything is actually happening because it all seems to be happening on my left. I can't follow conversations. Even with my hearing aid I find busy places difficult and multiple voices very hard to follow. My hearing is deteriorating on both sides, but especially on my right. There is no clear reason for my conductive hearing loss. I fell from a horse about ten years ago and was badly concussed - my ENT doctor first suggested that this was probably when the deterioration began, but since my hearing has begun to suffer in my left ear too it seems this was not an accurate hypothesis. I studied ASL many years ago just because I was interested, but I am beginning a course again this spring because I don't know where my hearing loss will eventually take me. ASL is a beautiful language and it will be a privilege to study it, whether or not I ever require it to communicate. Thank-you for having me here even though I am not deaf.

You might want to look into getting a BAHA.

Welcome to All Deaf! Your hearing loss story is very similar to mine, right down to which ear is worse and which is better.
I hope you find this forum to be a great source of information and camaraderie. Have fun learning ASL. It's a beautiful language!

Welcome to Alldeaf and you might find the resources for your knowledge.

Welcome :wave:

I don't find hearing aids help at all in busy places. I just get amplified noise. I find it easier to just turn them off or at least don't make any effort to try to understand auditory input. Multiple people is also tough. By the time I realize someone else is talking and turn in that direction, I have already missed part of the conversation. If there are ASL socials near you, you may find that even if ASL is not your primary communication method, it can be nice to have a break from oral input occasionally.

Back