Unethical Cochlear Implant Marketing

Nesmuth

Reaction score
One cochlear implant organization has been recently rumored to be engaged in inappropriate and unethical marketing practices. According to this rumor, parents were forced to get their deaf kids implanted otherwise face child abuse charges by social workers who were 'on the take'.

Maybe this is a reason why so many deaf kids have been getting the implants and if you suspect abuse by social workers in this fashion, I'd like to know about it and my promise will be to put these people in the spotlight and blow the horn on them.

Richard Roehm

That is outrageous. It hits home for me. I couldnt imagine what those parents went through. Thats heartbreaking. Thankfully enough I havent been put through this, but if it happens, Ill let you know.

katt.

Why doesn't this surprise me? Breezy are you thinking what I'm thinking? Yeah, the CI works well for some people, but suddenly there seems to be a virtuable explosion of CI is the best thing in the world people! I mean it seems like they have taken over SHHH....SHHH is soon gonna be "All CI all the time"

deafdyke: AMEN! When you mentioned "the other board" I *thought* you were probably referring to SHHH. You're right -- there does seem to be an explosion of CI users. Where they all came from, I don't know. After reading through some of the older threads, I could clearly see people asking others whether or not they've considered a CI. Whatever happened to hearing aids, FM systems/ALDs or sign?? Aren't they good enough for people anymore??

For reasons Nesmuth mentioned above, I will never become a CI company advocate. I have a CI, but would *never* condone that kind of behavior. <angry>

HearAgain....I actually think that the SHH board is pretty balanced....but I am glad you think there are some extremists there. Go to a chat at mine and Breezy's "favorite" (NOT) site....it's all about CIs, CIs and more CIs...it's almost like the site is a commercial or something...They do (tokenly) admit that sucess with CIs is different for different people, but so much of it is all about the good parts of CIs! ARUGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
But the SHH main site has too much info on CIs....soon it's gonna be CI central!

Hear Again said:
For reasons Nesmuth mentioned above, I will never become a CI company advocate. I have a CI, but would *never* condone that kind of behavior. <angry>

agreed

Something tells me this is just a rumor because there are deaf people who would start such a thing.

any actual cases of this to prove credibility?

Whatever happened to hearing aids, FM systems/ALDs or sign?? Aren't they good enough for people anymore??
OMG, yes! I remmy reading in Volta Voices that one of the members of the ODAS was condisering a CI so he coudl function better in noise....Ummm even hearies have trouble functioning in noise! And it does seem like a lot of the CIers are very audist when it comes to hearing. "I'm in the hearing world...it's the best thing in the world...I don't need ASL!"

deafdyke: Yeah, that's true. At least SHHH offers several message boards about/for hearing aids, assistive technology, parents and family/friends. I especially like the message board "Alternatives to CIs" I found alot of interesting information there about middle ear implants and the BAHA. :)

What chat site are you referring to? I'd like to check it out just for curiosity's sake!

As for SHHH turning into CI central...it may not be too long before that happens. LOL!

deafdyke: I hate to break the news to whoever this person is, but CIs don't necessarily allow one to hear better in noise -- and as you said, people with normal hearing struggle too!

I'll never understand why CI users object to ASL. They seem to forget that they're still deaf *without* their CI. There's ALWAYS room for ASL. I never plan to give up my signing skills. God forbid my implant fails...then what?

The way some CI users choose to separate themselves from the Deaf community doesn't help either. It's too bad it always has to be an "us" vs. "them" mentality. :(

Cjanik said:
agreed

Something tells me this is just a rumor because there are deaf people who would start such a thing.

any actual cases of this to prove credibility?

Good point! After all, this *is* a CI forum. :)

deafdyke said:
"I'm in the hearing world...it's the best thing in the world...I don't need ASL!"

They don't need to, unless they want to communicate to deaf people using ASL. It really is that simple.

I wear HAs and don't use ASL -- I don't need to.

Therefore, it has nothing to do with CIs except with those that make it an issue.

Nesmuth, GREAT SITE!!!!!! I am not surprised that there might be fraud and kickbacks and stuff.....I mean I wonder if some of it has to do with access to health care.....I remmy Hear Again saying that she's noticed that a lot of the implantees she knes tend to be very high acheiving...even middle class people have difficulty with health care costs and insurance issues! I wonder if they are trying to recruit more people with health insurance and stuff....one wonders...
They seem to forget that they're still deaf *without* their CI. There's ALWAYS room for ASL. I never plan to give up my signing skills. God forbid my implant fails...then what?

The way some CI users choose to separate themselves from the Deaf community doesn't help either.
Exactly.....some parents of implant kids don't seem to realize that the issues and concerns that their kids are facing now, we audiologically hoh kids have faced....I think maybe some CIers are "more hearing then thou" (eg I'm better then those poor wittle people who need to depend on ASL!) and admiddly there are some people who are Deafer then thou, but for crying out loud there are extremists in every single movement. If being Deaf was about how much hearing you didn't have, then folks like me, Bree, Naj, Levonian and even ALEX (who is our systems administrator) wouldn't even post here. I think some of the "hearing then thou" folks are either messed up psychcologically about their loss (never came to terms with being dhh) or will end up being psychologically damaged by attitudes like that....there is a reason why many deaf schools have programs for kids who are emoitonally unstable...there's even a program in Florida especially for them!
What chat site are you referring to?
I can't give it out b/c the program here censors other hearing related UBB sites...I'll give you a hint...check out mine and Breezy's rants on my topic entitled "A Rant" ...oh and a SHHH regular on the CI board is a regular there...actually she's one of those paitent advocates...god, she is such a robot!!!!

I agree with Richard!

Forcing parents to get their kids cochlear implants is stupid!!
Sign language won't cost you and "Arm and a Leg".
Its free!!
I don't have kids, but If my kids were born deaf, I'd teach them sign language.
Margie
Dir.of Communication Services
OCDAC

I don't have kids, but If my kids were born deaf, I'd teach them sign language.
Perhaps adopt some deaf and hoh kids?
Pvt Parts, What I meant by that attitude, is that they look down on Sign as a crutch or something that is special needs. They are all high and mighty b/c they can function without the crutch of Sign.

deafdyke said:
Perhaps adopt some deaf and hoh kids?
Pvt Parts, What I meant by that attitude, is that they look down on Sign as a crutch or something that is special needs. They are all high and mighty b/c they can function without the crutch of Sign.

Gotcha. That is a crappy attitude.

I hope you guys don't think I'm "high and mighty." :Oops:

I hope you guys don't think I'm "high and mighty."
Nope....you seem quite openminded. There are some oral kids who just never got around to picking up ASL during their childhood due to whatever reasons....What some deaf extremists need to understand is that the abilty to speak, does not make someone oral per se. I have oral skills, but I consider myself Deaf b/c I use both ASL and speech in my every day life.

Pvt. Parts said:
I hope you guys don't think I'm "high and mighty."

Not at all! In my opinion, there's room for all kinds of communication: oral/aural, total communication, ASL, PSE, SEE. One is no better than the other. The same goes for CIs and hearing aids. :)

deafdyke said:
I think maybe some CIers are "more hearing then thou" (eg I'm better then those poor wittle people who need to depend on ASL!) and admiddly there are some people who are Deafer then thou, but for crying out loud there are extremists in every single movement. If being Deaf was about how much hearing you didn't have, then folks like me, Bree, Naj, Levonian and even ALEX (who is our systems administrator) wouldn't even post here.

deafdyke: Thank you for acknowledging this! I thought it was just me. LOL! I've come across both attitudes before! Sometimes people who are HoH do this too. Just look at the way some people with severe-profound HL minimize the difficulties those with mild or moderate HL experience. It's almost as if they are saying, "At least you can hear XYZ. I can't even hear that. Consider yourself lucky." Thank goodness I never had to deal with that attitude personally, but I've seen it expressed before on other e-mail lists.

I may be asking for the impossible when I say this, but it would be nice if we as people who are dhh could work with each other to make our lives better. Separating ourselves by our degree of hearing loss and/or communication style/preference does nothing except create further division and more anger/hostility. Nothing can or will get done until we start to work *together.* :)

Last edited:
Back