Unemployment-then disability?

Presbyter

Reaction score
Unemployment rules are mighty confusing. I can draw unemployment if I'm physically and mentally able. The Social security office tells me to draw unemployment first and live off that and then come see us to file for disability. If I draw unemployment, then that will tell the social security office that I'm physical and mentally able to work.
Something funny going on here. How does this work?

They passed new rules few years ago, there is 6 months waiting period requirements.

The old rule was that there is still 6 months waiting period but you get all money paid from day one that you apply for SSDi.

Too bad that old rules are no longer in effect.

Im not worry about it at all.

I can handle the waiting period. What I wanted to ask was, is it wise to draw unemployment and then ask for SSDi. Will the Social Security hold it against me if I drew unemployment? I see messages of conflict on other websites.

Been there and no, the unemployment is not considered as wage. What they consider on income is that you get income from W O R K I N G.

I can handle the waiting period. What I wanted to ask was, is it wise to draw unemployment and then ask for SSDi. Will the Social Security hold it against me if I drew unemployment? I see messages of conflict on other websites.

It is confusing, my dad went thru it when he hurt his back-- it's crazy! but I think the biggest reason that is there is b/c some 'disabilities' can be short term, and to help weed those out these new practices were put in place... it's easier to get unemployment- than to get SSDi... so I think to help both the individual and the government out they want you to go thru this process... like Diehard said- it's income from physically working- plus it's their rules, technically they can't hold it against you for following the rules, right? :) Good luck!!!

Been there and no, the unemployment is not considered as wage. What they consider on income is that you get income from W O R K I N G.

I can't figure this one out. Even though unemployment isn't income, when you apply for unemployment and claim that you are able to work and then apply for SSDI and say you're unable to work, how does that look? Could they deny SSDI due to you claiming your able to work and draw unemployment?

Back