Unconfirmed Tornado Hits Boy Scout Camp, Reported Fatalities

ladycaissa

Reaction score
Pray for those who are hurt. Hopefully no other boy scouts are killed.
http://www.kmtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8467252&nav=menu550_2 said:
Little Sioux, IA - An unconfirmed tornado has hit a Boy Scout Camp in Southern Monona County. A Boy Scout official tells Action 3 News there were about 100 Boy Scouts in the camp for leadership training. He says they are 13 to 18 years old - and some of the area's best scouts.

They took cover when the severe weather started to come through. But almost all of the buildings in camp were destroyed. More than 40 people are reported hurt in the camp. Emergency workers tell Action 3 News at least four people have died in the storm.

Scout leaders and emergency units from all over the community are going to the area to lend a hand.

Hundreds of people are arriving to the area, trying to help. Emergency officials are setting up a staging area at the city park in Little Sioux.

We will bring you more information as it comes into the news room.

Action 3 News - Omaha, Nebraska News, Weather, and Sports | Unconfirmed Tornado Hits Boy Scout Camp, Reported Fatalities

Originally Posted by Action 3 News - Omaha, Nebraska News, Weather, and Sports | Unconfirmed Tornado Hits Boy Scout Camp, Reported Fatalities
Little Sioux, IA - An unconfirmed tornado has hit a Boy Scout Camp in Southern Monona County. A Boy Scout official tells Action 3 News there were about 100 Boy Scouts in the camp for leadership training. He says they are 13 to 18 years old - and some of the area's best scouts.

They took cover when the severe weather started to come through. But almost all of the buildings in camp were destroyed. More than 40 people are reported hurt in the camp. Emergency workers tell Action 3 News<b> at least four people have died in the storm.</b>

Scout leaders and emergency units from all over the community are going to the area to lend a hand.

Hundreds of people are arriving to the area, trying to help. Emergency officials are setting up a staging area at the city park in Little Sioux.

We will bring you more information as it comes into the news room.

Wow, poor to whom are killed by tornado. Man, thats horrible!

yeah, man. That must be suck! *tornado are our terror!!! Watch out for it*lol

Tornado are getting worse in the States. I have not heard any tornadoes in Canada, South America, Africa, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Why in US?

I had no idea why?

I also agree it getting WORSE than before. My state (maryland) received too many tornado warns in less a month than before and is unusual happening. So it must have something wrong with our country or just from warming Global? huh

I had no idea why?

I also agree it getting WORSE than before. My state (maryland) received too many tornado warns in less a month than before and is unusual happening. So it must have something wrong with our country or just from warming Global? huh

I live 5 min away from DC, luxury hi-rise apartment, which I can see everything above. Yesterday, the news warned us about the SEVERE T-STORM, and of course I open all windows to see if there's tornado or something. Few minutes later, I saw 4 cop cars parked in front of my apt, and came up to tell us to go down. All I did was to pick up documents, and went down and waiting for 15 mins. Everything went ok. It was pretty scary moment.

Wow, thats creepy. I got tornado watch last weekend and didnt hit yet but got serve thunder storm so badly. I think we need to do something to fix this cause it is SO unusual happening and our weather acts like weirdest in this year, though. >.>

Tornado are getting worse in the States. I have not heard any tornadoes in Canada, South America, Africa, Europe, Australia, and Asia. Why in US?

Because of the cold fronts coming from Canada and the humid air coming off the Gulf tends to collide over the midsection of our country.

Plus the topography of the land makes it easier for tornadoes to form.

Because of the cold fronts coming from Canada and the humid air coming off the Gulf tends to collide over the midsection of our country.

Plus the topography of the land makes it easier for tornadoes to form.

Byrdie is right about geography.

Another factor is that weather changes are normal cycles of the earth (see Benner Cycle as only one example).

Another is population shifts from metropolitan area where such storms are fewer to country living where storms are worse. For example, there were always twisters tearing up huge swaths of forests on the Montana-Alberta border where I lived. But people weren't there, so they mostly went unreported.

I'm very sorry for the hurt scouts and their families.

I had no idea why?

I know! I had 3 near misses in the past 3 weeks with tornados. Yea, it is very unusual!

I feel for those who were hurt by this tornado.

I live 5 min away from DC, luxury hi-rise apartment, which I can see everything above. Yesterday, the news warned us about the SEVERE T-STORM, and of course I open all windows to see if there's tornado or something. Few minutes later, I saw 4 cop cars parked in front of my apt, and came up to tell us to go down. All I did was to pick up documents, and went down and waiting for 15 mins. Everything went ok. It was pretty scary moment.

Last Saturday, we were all driving home from Ocean City and we were on 97 North heading to Baltimore when we got caught in a super cell. All of sudden ligtning were striking around us like every 5 secs and then the sky became a dark greenish color. We looked up...my brother and hubby saw a funnel cloud forming. I couldnt see it because all of sudden the whole cloud (super cell) started moving in a circular motion right above us. That was when the winds went from 5 mph to like 50 mph in less than 5 secs and then the rain just came down like a waterfall. All of sudden, the SUV we were in was pushed into the next lane on 97 by the wind and my hubby couldnt control it so he had to work hard to get it on the shoulder. Finally he did and we just parked and my hubby said "HOLD ON!!!!" It felt like the SUV was going to fly off the road anytime with the wind pelting it like that. I kept looking up..clouds were still moving in the weird circular motion. I just held onto the seat and just shut my eyes and then as quick as before, the winds stopped. It was still raining so my hubby started the SUV and started driving but slowly and we approached an overpass. There were like 7 or so cars parked directly under the overpass and people had gotten out of their cars to sit in the space underneath the overpass. It was weird to see that. We got home and learned that there were two supercells ..one in Glen Burnie and one in DC but both werent organized enough to form a full tornado. THANK GOD!!!! If it was, I cant imagine what would have happened to us.

That was one of the 3 near misses. Geez!

I am in Iowa. Just on the news today that if we don't have immediate damage from flooding, the ground may become so saturated that trees can fall and lose your house that way.:eek3:

I am in Iowa. Just on the news today that if we don't have immediate damage from flooding, the ground may become so saturated that trees can fall and lose your house that way.:eek3:

Wow!

I was told that Omaha hasn't had a tornado in over 35 years. Since this is so...we are all due for this severe weather.

Back