Unbelievable asl situation

WillsMom08

Reaction score
So, after my last post on my 9 year old mild hearing loss, I wake up ready to save the world. Call the principal of the elementary where my hearing impaired child is at 8:00 am this morning.
After asking for asl, first response is "That is going to be expensive. I would have to hire someone and train them."
It is our right...blah blah I think this will help in the long run we have documented 58 cases of discernment issues we have everything in place that we can possibly have blah blah.
Principal says, "Can you get me a doctors note stating this is what you need."

LOVELY

Call #2 to my daughters Junior high school RIGHT next door.
I want my daughter to take ASL she has a brother hard of hearing.
Principal #2 "It is not in our curriculum so I need to do some checking. I will call you back." By 2:20 He had things in order and waiting on credentialing for my daughter to take on line asl from a live teacher during school.

So lets re cap this. Hearing Impaired child No ASL. Hearing perfectly fine child ASL class....

This is my life. How very very sad!

Not at all surprising based on what I've learned here and from my Deaf teachers and friends where I am. It's sure about audism, which involves hearing privilege - the last is something most aren't even aware of. Part of having that privilege-

So, after my last post on my 9 year old mild hearing loss, I wake up ready to save the world. Call the principal of the elementary where my hearing impaired child is at 8:00 am this morning.
After asking for asl, first response is "That is going to be expensive. I would have to hire someone and train them."
It is our right...blah blah I think this will help in the long run we have documented 58 cases of discernment issues we have everything in place that we can possibly have blah blah.
Principal says, "Can you get me a doctors note stating this is what you need."

LOVELY

Call #2 to my daughters Junior high school RIGHT next door.
I want my daughter to take ASL she has a brother hard of hearing.
Principal #2 "It is not in our curriculum so I need to do some checking. I will call you back." By 2:20 He had things in order and waiting on credentialing for my daughter to take on line asl from a live teacher during school.

So lets re cap this. Hearing Impaired child No ASL. Hearing perfectly fine child ASL class....

This is my life. How very very sad!

Ugh this breaks my heart. =( Don't give up, though! You can win this fight!

Umm so get a note from the doctor (and audiologist) stating that your child is hard of hearing and would benefit from ASL in school *shug*

At college/university I was required to submit a note from my Audie stating I was Hoh/Deaf along with my agram to get ASL interpreters etc - that's standard protocol (they need the medical note so it can be covered under specific funding).

When I needed my HA covered (in part) by my insurance, I needed to submit the bill along with a letter from my MD stating I was Hoh/Deaf and needed a HA.

This is pretty standard stuff.

Umm so get a note from the doctor (and audiologist) stating that your child is hard of hearing and would benefit from ASL in school *shug*

At college/university I was required to submit a note from my Audie stating I was Hoh/Deaf along with my agram to get ASL interpreters etc - that's standard protocol (they need the medical note so it can be covered under specific funding).

When I needed my HA covered (in part) by my insurance, I needed to submit the bill along with a letter from my MD stating I was Hoh/Deaf and needed a HA.

This is pretty standard stuff.

I know it is somewhat standard. But along with that at times I feel degraded. Would any normal mother make there child wear hearing aids just for fun?

I get it, I realize they need documentation but it seems like logic never prevails with this school. I have turned in audiograms that are progressively worse for the last five years. Can the man humor me and google the process and solutions??? Or will he simply stick to his basic irrational non helpful thoughts?

I know it is somewhat standard. But along with that at times I feel degraded. Would any normal mother make there child wear hearing aids just for fun?

I get it, I realize they need documentation but it seems like logic never prevails with this school. I have turned in audiograms that are progressively worse for the last five years. Can the man humor me and google the process and solutions??? Or will he simply stick to his basic irrational non helpful thoughts?

Submitting Audiograms without a medical doctor's note isn't helpful to a school in the same way that submitting and xray without a doctor's note wouldn't be helpful.

They need the doctor's note because they aren't permitted (or educated) to "interpret results of medical tests" - and an audiogram is a medical test.

I know you find this frustrating - trust me, I get it. I also know first hand that the school systems now are SO much better to work with than they were when I was in school in the 80s-90s.

You need to find out what you need to do to help the school help you. In most cases that means getting appropriate documentation from the appropriate people - because this allows them (the school) to apply for and get the appropriate funding and access to materials.

Think of it this way - they (the school) has to prove to the district/division etc that they require extra funding and resources because they have a child in their school that requires the services. The very first thing the district/division etc is going to say is "we need medical documentation so we can apply to the county/district/state/province etc for funding".

Also in a school setting, if the child isn't already fluent in ASL, you might want to try something like CART or TYPEWELL as an alternative.

Thank I know you are right. I think I struggle with the answers are being uncaring or un compassionate to my sons situation. You are right though. I need to continue to remind myself.

Talked about cart this morning. The cost is prohibitive for the actual part he needs help with. It is a viable option mid to upper junior high. I see that same thought for the ASL piece as well.

Back