Unapproval Aftermarket Supercharger

deafsmogtech

Reaction score
I picked up a VW Golf R32 last week ago for a smog check upon a customer request (a pretty 40ish woman). I noted VIN, license plate and odometer, verified a DMV renewal paper... matched. I opened a hood and spot shiny polished aluminum supercharger and cold air tube, doesnt want to bother them and concentrated on the VECI label on the radiator support. I noticed the VECI label doesnt called out supercharger (S/C) and intercooler (CAC= Cold Air Charged) and suspect. I examined S/C and cold air tube for sign of the CARB EO labels. None of them found then I determined that unapproval high performance parts are illegal in Calif. I wrote the RO paper to inform a customer, "REJECTED from smog inspection. No CARB EO labels on aftermarket supercharger and cold air tube".
I was surprised this car is a high performance AWD (without S/C). With S/C, the engine would pump out over 300HP or something. Why waste money on S/C that cant pass a smog inspection? Too bad.
2004 VW GOLF R32, 6 speed manual (4motion), AWD
VIN WVWKG61JX4D------
Odometer: 30,090 miles
3.2L (similar to VR6), Calif. emission, AIR, 2TWC,2HO2S(2)

sounds like she got the car from some dude.... Oakland sideshow :lol:

I think CA is most nazi for emission

It is. Even if you have aftermarket air intake you can get denied smog test.

I know some smog guys back when I mod my old car, he would let my mods slide.
Of course he could lose his job, but I passed the emissions which is the point I guess..

IL/IA is allow for SC and TC.

I think CA is most nazi for emission

CARB approval high performance parts such as S/C or T/C is allow to bolt on the vehicles. Must have CARB (California Air Resources Board) certificates and labels on the aftermarket high performance parts. But the EO numbers (Excutive Orders), stamped on the CARB labels, will be verify to see if they are met the Database of Excutive Orders then can process the smog inspection.
Have you been see "50 STATES legal" in Summit racing equipment catalog or hot rod magazines as they ads hi performance parts? 50th STATE legal means high performance parts to market in 50th state include Calif. Always check CARB EO numbers to see if they are legal sale in Calif. Many smog techs didnt look up the EO after they just witness "CARB EO" labels on the aftermarket parts. Why? no time to look up the book or online. Time is money.

It is. Even if you have aftermarket air intake you can get denied smog test.

I know some smog guys back when I mod my old car, he would let my mods slide.
Of course he could lose his job, but I passed the emissions which is the point I guess..
You can bolt on unapproval hp parts on the older cars like 60's. On 70's vehicles should have same emission systems. No smog inspection required on the model year is 1975 and older. You can mod anything you like but stay same emissions in your car.

CARB approval high performance parts such as S/C or T/C is allow to bolt on the vehicles. Must have CARB (California Air Resources Board) certificates and labels on the aftermarket high performance parts. But the EO numbers (Excutive Orders), stamped on the CARB labels, will be verify to see if they are met the Database of Excutive Orders then can process the smog inspection.
Have you been see "50 STATES legal" in Summit racing equipment catalog or hot rod magazines as they ads hi performance parts? 50th STATE legal means high performance parts to market in 50th state include Calif. Always check CARB EO numbers to see if they are legal sale in Calif. Many smog techs didnt look up the EO after they just witness "CARB EO" labels on the aftermarket parts. Why? no time to look up the book or online. Time is money.

Wow. I don't know that.

Wirelessly posted

As a native Californian. Im not surprised about that. California carries the strictest emission controls in the US.

Wirelessly posted

As a native Californian. Im not surprised about that. California carries the strictest emission controls in the US.

yup, dated back in 1960, California took the emission controls on the automobiles then few years later US EPA followed the California emission controls.
Did you know one amount of emission to be spewed on the cars is:
one 1965 muscle car equal to today's 5,000 small cars. My theory. Not very accurate. It is true. Have you been sniffing strong odor exhaust spewed from a muscle car? Real strong odor. I can detect the heavy engine misfire or oil burned or overly richer A/F mixtures by sniff the exhaust emission from a tailpipe. I use to sniffing the emission from the vehicle while I perform a smog inspection to make sure there is not heavy emission.

"Note: All pollution emissions altering parts are not legal for use on public road driven vehicles - for off road and closed circuit racing only" reading label from Turbo kit package.

"Legal in California only for racing vehicles, which may never be used upon a highway" reading label from High Performance Turbo Muffler.

"Note: All pollution emissions altering parts are not legal for use on public road driven vehicles - for off road and closed circuit racing only" reading label from Turbo kit package.

"Legal in California only for racing vehicles, which may never be used upon a highway" reading label from High Performance Turbo Muffler.
Exactly. I dont have my balls to explain this paragraph. Awesome. Thank you.
I know the people at the CARB, tell the aftermarket high performance manufacturers to labels on the ads like catalogs or magazines or onlines to caution the Californian buyers that they are not legal sale in Ca, only for off road or racing only. Behind they(CARB) wont bother illegal high performance parts in the older vehicles that are driving on the public roads. I think after 1963 or 64 model year vehicles should have CARB EO labels on the aftermarketed hi perf parts. Even the CARB people dont know if you modded a big thunder camshaft in the engine.

Exactly. I dont have my balls to explain this paragraph. Awesome. Thank you.
I know the people at the CARB, tell the aftermarket high performance manufacturers to labels on the ads like catalogs or magazines or onlines to caution the Californian buyers that they are not legal sale in Ca, only for off road or racing only. Behind they(CARB) wont bother illegal high performance parts in the older vehicles that are driving on the public roads. I think after 1963 or 64 model year vehicles should have CARB EO labels on the aftermarketed hi perf parts. Even the CARB people dont know if you modded a big thunder camshaft in the engine.

Too easy to notice for gasoline engine but diesel engine? I read mazg that most smog tech don't noticed about diesel engine use aftermarket T/C.

Too easy to notice for gasoline engine but diesel engine? I read mazg that most smog tech don't noticed about diesel engine use aftermarket T/C.

Diesel powered vehicles, 1998 model-year and newer, up to 14,000 GVWR, equipped w/ OBD II, in California are subject to the smog inspection program since January 2010. I read the smog check manual that they doesnt say anything on the aftermarketed turbochargers but illegal moddied devices if found under visual inspection. I only tested 3 diesel powered vehicles. I ll pick up more about the aftermarket parts that use to bolt on or chipping the computer later. I know nothing about the newer OBD II diesel vehicles. Someday I take the diesel class. I ll post you if I find something come up with the newest infro.

Diesel powered vehicles, 1998 model-year and newer, up to 14,000 GVWR, equipped w/ OBD II, in California are subject to the smog inspection program since January 2010. I read the smog check manual that they doesnt say anything on the aftermarketed turbochargers but illegal moddied devices if found under visual inspection. I only tested 3 diesel powered vehicles. I ll pick up more about the aftermarket parts that use to bolt on or chipping the computer later. I know nothing about the newer OBD II diesel vehicles. Someday I take the diesel class. I ll post you if I find something come up with the newest infro.

That mean '99 to '10 Ford F-450 and F550s, Dodge RAM 4500 and 5500s, and Kodiak 4500 and 5500s are exempt from being tested.

The law does not apply to the entire state- only areas with dense populations. Inhabitants in 18 of California's 58 counties are exempt from testing. In addition, six counties not exempt from testing do have ares that are considered partially enhanced counties (not everyone has to be smogged)
otlpj4.png

That mean '99 to '10 Ford F-450 and F550s, Dodge RAM 4500 and 5500s, and Kodiak 4500 and 5500s are exempt from being tested.

I dont know. Only to the DMV renewal notice letters sends to the diesel powered vehicle owners. If a customer bring the vehicle for a smog inspection without DMV papers, to check the GVWR on the label or VIN to see if the vehicle weight is 14,000 less.

The law does not apply to the entire state- only areas with dense populations. Inhabitants in 18 of California's 58 counties are exempt from testing. In addition, six counties not exempt from testing do have ares that are considered partially enhanced counties (not everyone has to be smogged)
otlpj4.png

All gasoline/diesel powered vehicles in this state, are subject to smog check program. If you lives in change of ownership area, owns same vehicle then no smog check required unless you sell or buy the vehicle in same area.

Good thing I got my SUV traded to a brand new 2011 minivan last week.

Good thing I got my SUV traded to a brand new 2011 minivan last week.

Lucky, The smog check manual states: Vehicles 6 or less model-years old are
exempt from biennial inspection. That means your 2011 vehicle will have a smog inspection in 2017. You happy?

Back