UMN student tearing down a Mexican Flag

CCfan

Reaction score
KOB.com - Is a UNM student a patriot or vandal?

What a stupid ruthless, absurdity, corrupt police that put him in the jail.
I hope he will win in the court. Look out for ACLU is defending for him!
It's now put a nail the Freedom of Speech on the coffin. :(
They already taken away his rights! Bast%$#s!

And because of some confusion the flag ended up flying by itself, without an American flag next to it.

There was a confusion as to where New Mexico was located?

In the newscast, they reported that Peter Lynch "is charged with ripping down the flag and tearing it up." Would the results be different if he'd only removed the flag?

In addition, the newscast reported that Peter Lynch "told campus police that he was upset that an American flag was not flown above the foriegn flag." There's one problem: you cannot fly two countries' flag on the same pole.

There needs to be a Flag 101 at the University, taught right after Beer & Liquor 101.

I'd likely consider him a patriot. The flag was flying in front of UNM's administrative offices and the University President's office. The building these offices are in is on the National Register of Historic Places, a 1936 PWA/"New Deal" building paid for with Federal money and built with American hands. Funny, the newscasts leave this little detail out.

Last edited:
There needs to be a Flag 101 at the University, taught right after Beer & Liquor 101.

I'd likely consider him a patriot. The flag was flying in front of UNM's administrative offices and the University President's office. The building these offices are in is on the National Register of Historic Places, a 1936 PWA/"New Deal" building paid for with Federal money and built with American hands. Funny, the newscasts leave this little detail out.

Interesting. I, too, like you would consider this as a patriotic act.

Of course, New Mexico is in United States of America. If the Mexicans wanted to fly the Mexico Flag, Do it over there in Mexico. This is United States of America and the American Flag should be flying on that pole at UNM instead of the Mexican flag. If we were to fly the USA flag in Mexico, The Mexicans would have took it down and tear it down to pieces or burn it up.

I, wholeheartedly, agree. Unfortunately, I know that this person has 1) tore the flag in question and 2) did not, himself, confess to the crime until caught.

These aspects trouble me regarding his patriotism.

I'm considered as vandal because this property isn't belong to him then he shouldn't torn or rip the flag down, if he don't like it then must leave it and talk to counselor at university about flag issue instead of charge on vandal.

KOB.com - Is a*UNM student*a patriot or vandal?

What a stupid ruthless, absurdity, corrupt police that put him in the jail.
I hope he will win in the court. Look out for ACLU is defending for him!
It's now put a nail the Freedom of Speech on the coffin. :(
They already taken away his rights! Bast%$#s!

If this property isn't belong to him then he's considered as vandal, no matters.

You are really can't have freedom of speech to make all damage on stuff, such as flag or hate to other races, that's so disgusted, vandalism isn't option to be excuse to see like that.

What happen if someone would throw the rock against window because of GLBT flag was hanged on window, that's considered as vandal and that make damage to their property.

I'm considered as vandal because this property isn't belong to him then he shouldn't torn or rip the flag down, if he don't like it then must leave it and talk to counselor at university about flag issue instead of charge on vandal.

Oh, geez.....:roll: The founding fathers are look down at you and shame on you.

I considered him as a patriot, obviously, and, I agree with Jolie and Wokamuka.

Oh, geez.....:roll: The founding fathers are look down at you and shame on you.

I considered him as a patriot, obviously, and, I agree with Jolie and Wokamuka.

What so?! who cares about you said...

Also, You took my post so too personal, it has NOTHING with Pro-Mexican related, it's just for flags and it's my OPINION!!

What so?! who cares about you said...

Also, You took my post so too personal, it has NOTHING with Pro-Mexican related, it's just for flags and it's my OPINION!!

Well, excuse me, sir, we are having the freedom of speech or what? I like to talk anything about the stuffs or on the other person's opinions.

Plus, the United States flag within the United States of America are big deal to me, for your information, even though if the Canadian flag flying over United States flag within the United States of America.

Well, excuse me, sir, we are having the freedom of speech or what? I like to talk anything about the stuffs or on the other person's opinions.

Plus, the United States flag within the United States of America are big deal to me, for your information, even though if the Canadian flag flying over United States flag within the United States of America.

USA is free country, companies or universities can hang the other countries flag than just national flag only, or along with national flag, whatever they want too, plus I'm big support on diverse, everyone should be get along.

In my opinion, take this flag down and tear it off would against other ethnic group to make more disrespect to them, except if UNM replace the Mexican flag instead of US flag in one pole then it would be other story but flying over others seems not big deal to me.

The Spirit behind his action (tearing as opposed to simply removing it) is in question.

I'd not be surprised if the Court of Law finds him guilty . . . he removed the flag - we support . . . he ripped it up - seems to be an act of malice.

The Spirit behind his action (tearing as opposed to simply removing it) is in question.

I'd not be surprised if the Court of Law finds him guilty . . . he removed the flag - we support . . . he ripped it up - seems to be an act of malice.

I don't know about full situation at UNM since this article said they use Mexican flag only instead of USA flag.

If he's just simply removing is better than vandal this flag (tear down) and probably not charge but probably would be in trouble with university for unauthorize or remove without their permission. It's best result to see counselor or school admin to discuss about it, it can solve the issue without getting in trouble.

It seems like against law to flying the Mexican flag on in USA's land without along with US flag.

Just check out this link...
http://www.senate.gov/reference/resources/pdf/RL30243.pdf

US Flag Laws and Regulations

Now, it's up to judge, plus vandal other country's flag seems not right but if people are remove the flag without vandal this flag would ok or so.

I just wonders if people are hanging the other country's flag (UK, Canada, Mexico) than US flag on their house's properties then would be ok?

Well I think it's people's right to be proud of their own countries, a pride of freedom. There is many of different countries flags for sale in stores, should we sue those stores for selling different countries? Sounds ridicilious.

I support Peter Lynch for taking down the flag of a foreign country that was flying over the campus of a U.S. tax-payer funded university. He should not have torn up or damaged the flag; he should have just removed it and set it aside.

The flag of Mexico doesn't represent an ethnic group (not all Hispanics are Mexicans). It represents a sovereign nation, and that nation is NOT the United States of America, so it has no right to fly over any of our government buildings.

I support Peter Lynch for taking down the flag of a foreign country that was flying over the campus of a U.S. tax-payer funded university. He should not have torn up or damaged the flag; he should have just removed it and set it aside.

The flag of Mexico doesn't represent an ethnic group (not all Hispanics are Mexicans). It represents a sovereign nation, and that nation is NOT the United States of America, so it has no right to fly over any of our government buildings.

Don't agree with you but not related to government building, this flag can be represent to both of them, ethnic group and sovereign nation, people who born in their home countries and use their specific to honor them. It's obviously that not all latino are Mexicans but majority of them are Mexicans as well. I know that flying the other country's flag than US flag on government building seems so dishonor to USA.

I don't realize about UNM is funded by federal.

I, wholeheartedly, agree. Unfortunately, I know that this person has 1) tore the flag in question and 2) did not, himself, confess to the crime until caught.

These aspects trouble me regarding his patriotism.

It troubles me also. His heart is in the right place by removing the Mexico Flag BUT his actions tells another story. The Mexico Flag did not belong to him, so therefore it is considered as a theft and vandal of other's property.

The article did not exactly state if he has reported it to the university officials to get the flag removed. If he did report it to the university officials and it was ignored, He could have took it a step ahead by going to the next level, so and on.

Like, Reba said - He should have put the flag aside instead of damaging it.

Another flag-related issue. Wisdom and courage noted.

Marine Corps reservist won't be charged in flag rescue - KJRH.com
Last Update: 3/18 12:18 pm

MIDWEST CITY, Okla. (AP) - A U.S. Marine Corps reservist won't be charged for ignoring police requests and wading into a protest to rescue an American Flag.

Ray Adam Modisette, 20, said he was reacting to a war protester who was stuffing an American flag down her pants.

Midwest City Assistant City Attorney Randal Homburg said he thinks there are grounds to prosecute Modisette for an act of civil disobedience, but he said that at the request of police, he's declining to file charges.

Modisette of Shawnee was arrested Friday afternoon on a complaint of interfering with official police process.

"We believe the act was emotional and not really deliberate," Midwest City Police Chief Brandon Clabes said. "It caused us to take action, but we hated to have to do it."

Modisette was leaving Tinker Air Force Base in his car Friday when he saw the protester with the flag. He said he turned around and headed for the crowd to get the flag. He was handcuffed after ignoring several requests by officers to move away from the small group of demonstrators from Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan.

Wise posts, Wokamuka and Reba. Flags have always represented pride and patriotism and have inspired heroic actions. The ACLU trying to treat them as mere property like any old piece of cloth have long been misguided.

Back