Umm, hey, so... am I deaf?

kimpossible

Reaction score
I'm so confused! Is there a difference between being "profoundly deaf" and "profoundly hard of hearing"? This is probably the dumbest question that's ever been asked, but I'm giving it a shot. If my hearing loss is past 90 dB in the range considered "profound," does that mean I'm deaf, or am I still hard of hearing? What the deuce!?! I'm so embarrassed for even asking this question. It's not like, after a gradual loss of hearing, your audiologist tests you one day and says, oh lookie here, you've crossed the pre-established hearing loss line: congratulations, you're deaf!

Interesting inquiry-- ;)

Let's take a look at the word 'profound', it is simply: deep, thorough, complete, extending is a few that fit the description for this word. Anyone can check their dictionaries or any online dictionary for a 'profound' research into the word. ;)

Perhaps if one is profoundly deaf, whereas hearing devices such as HA's (hearing-aides) will not help in any way, however, there are some that will be able utilize or benefit from a C.I. (cochlear implant). Maybe that kind of concept will make it clear, if not, am sure others here can give some useful thoughts pertaining to that specific inquiry of yours. :)

As for me, I'm 'HoH' (hard-of-hearing)...however, at nights while cuddlin' with the ZZ's (and wife-- :D), one might want to grab a 'bull-horn' just to get my attention! :lol:

~RR

I'm so confused! Is there a difference between being "profoundly deaf" and "profoundly hard of hearing"? This is probably the dumbest question that's ever been asked, but I'm giving it a shot. If my hearing loss is past 90 dB in the range considered "profound," does that mean I'm deaf, or am I still hard of hearing? What the deuce!?! I'm so embarrassed for even asking this question. It's not like, after a gradual loss of hearing, your audiologist tests you one day and says, oh lookie here, you've crossed the pre-established hearing loss line: congratulations, you're deaf!

Hmm... Profoundly deaf is when you born DEAF, hear none or very LITTLE. Profoundly HOH is when you born with one ear that can't hear and other ear can hear.

If you can't hear people talking at all, unless they scream loudly, then you are deaf.

If you can hear people talking, but not much as those hearing people hear, then you are HOH.

Let me give you a very easy test, pick someone who you trust, position him/her behind you and he/she should be talking normal, if you don't turn to them, then you are deaf.

I am profoundly deaf, I can't hear people talking, cat's meow, the phones, etc etc, only can hear dog barking if close to me, door slam, pan dropping, any LOUD sounds. That is what makes me deaf. If I can hear with one of my ears, then I am HOH.

It's just depends on how much you can hear.

That's the thing though, I don't know what's meant by just "profound" as in "profound hearing loss." Is it the same thing as profoundly deaf? If my hearing loss is "profound" but I still benefit from hearing aids, then am I considered Hoh?

If you can't hear people talking at all, unless they scream loudly, then you are deaf.
If you can hear people talking, but not much as those hearing people hear, then you are HOH.

Let me give you a very easy test, pick someone who you trust, position him/her behind you and he/she should be talking normal, if you don't turn to them, then you are deaf.

I am profoundly deaf, I can't hear people talking, cat's meow, the phones, etc etc, only can hear dog barking if close to me, door slam, pan dropping, any LOUD sounds. That is what makes me deaf. If I can hear with one of my ears, then I am HOH.

It's just depends on how much you can hear.

Do you mean, do this without a BTE? Because I can't hear loud noises without a hearing aid, but I can easily hear a whisper with just one. My right ear: 85 dB loss, my left ear (the one I use a BTE on): 100 dB loss... so .... I'm still confused. Hahaha, I appreciate the help though!

That's the thing though, I don't know what's meant by just "profound" as in "profound hearing loss." Is it the same thing as profoundly deaf? If my hearing loss is "profound" but I still benefit from hearing aids, then am I considered Hoh?

No, the hearing aids are only the tools to help you hear, not about your body. The ears is what explain your deafness, not the tools that make you HOH or even 100% hearing.

Do you mean, do this without a BTE? Because I can't hear loud noises without a hearing aid, but I can easily hear a whisper with just one. My right ear: 85 dB loss, my left ear (the one I use a BTE on): 100 dB loss... so .... I'm still confused. Hahaha, I appreciate the help though!

No problem :) To me, you are deaf, honestly. Actually my right ear can hear little more than my left ear, but it's still almost the same so I am still deaf.

Ok that helps, thanks haha. Most people think I'm faking if I tell them I'm deaf, so I wondered for a second if maybe, technically, given how much I benefit from my hearing aid, I may not be, haha. My audiologist wonders how I can still communicate without lipreading, and my ear/nose/throat doc wonders how my speech can be so good after looking at my audiogram. But the vast majority of hearing people would think I'm a total liar if I told them I was deaf, pssht.

Good question. I've kind of gotten confused about this for a while.

I have almost no hearing in one ear and a bit more in the other. Without HAs, I don't really hear anything but the loudest sounds (trains, trucks, etc). With HAs, I can't hear conversations comfortably, but I am able to get some of what was said, combine that with lip reading,flat-out guessing, and some hocus pocus to make it look like I know what is going on. So I think without my HAs I'm pretty darn deaf as I can't hear pretty much anything. But I am wearing my HAs and then say I'm deaf, folks get confused, especially since I do talk sometimes (I don't talk very well, but I do it). In several ways, it is at times a relief to take out my HAs (no headaches! no dizziness!) and just be deaf. It avoids the question, the need to try to keep up with the conversation, and any annoying hearing people I may be around. :whistle:

Ok that helps, thanks haha. Most people think I'm faking if I tell them I'm deaf, so I wondered for a second if maybe, technically, given how much I benefit from my hearing aid, I may not be, haha. My audiologist wonders how I can still communicate without lipreading, and my ear/nose/throat doc wonders how my speech can be so good after looking at my audiogram. But the vast majority of hearing people would think I'm a total liar if I told them I was deaf, pssht.

No problem again :) It sounds that you got a very good benefit from the hearing aids.

Good question. I've kind of gotten confused about this for a while.

I have almost no hearing in one ear and a bit more in the other. Without HAs, I don't really hear anything but the loudest sounds (trains, trucks, etc). With HAs, I can't hear conversations comfortably, but I am able to get some of what was said, combine that with lip reading,flat-out guessing, and some hocus pocus to make it look like I know what is going on. So I think without my HAs I'm pretty darn deaf as I can't hear pretty much anything. But I am wearing my HAs and then say I'm deaf, folks get confused, especially since I do talk sometimes (I don't talk very well, but I do it). In several ways, it is at times a relief to take out my HAs (no headaches! no dizziness!) and just be deaf. It avoids the question, the need to try to keep up with the conversation, and any annoying hearing people I may be around. :whistle:

Yesss exactly! your hearing loss seems very similar to mine. Thanks for the input =)

No problem again :) It sounds that you got a very good benefit from the hearing aids.

I'd say more like just "good," it's not really magnificent or antthing. But better than a lot of deaf people, which is mostly what has confused me so much. Thanks again for your help =)

Hey there...I have a dB level of 120 in both ears since birth and wore HAs all my life. I grew up orally and many people couldnt believe me that I am that deaf due to my speech and lipreading skills. Like u and Kaitin, I had no idea what most people were saying about 80% of the time if I am in a large group but I faked it well so people thought I was able to follow the conversations. I did that cuz I was ashamed of my deafness but now I am not so I dont even fake it anymore. LOL! Anyways, without my HAs, I cant hear anything unless someone puts their mouth next to my ear and scream.

I took grad level classes in audiology so if I remember correctly, deaf is from 80 dB and higher while hoh is from 40 to 80 dB. I may be a few dBs off but that is the ballpark figure.

Hope that helps!

Clearly you are DEAF... you need to accept it.... no arguments at all..

Clearly you are DEAF... you need to accept it.... no arguments at all..

Hi...I think you misunderstood me, I have no problem with acceptance. My own mother has told me "you're not deaf." I have no problem being deaf, I'm just questioning the difference between being "profoundly deaf" and "profoudly hard of hearing" if there is one.

Hey there...I have a dB level of 120 in both ears since birth and wore HAs all my life. I grew up orally and many people couldnt believe me that I am that deaf due to my speech and lipreading skills. Like u and Kaitin, I had no idea what most people were saying about 80% of the time if I am in a large group but I faked it well so people thought I was able to follow the conversations. I did that cuz I was ashamed of my deafness but now I am not so I dont even fake it anymore. LOL! Anyways, without my HAs, I cant hear anything unless someone puts their mouth next to my ear and scream.

I took grad level classes in audiology so if I remember correctly, deaf is from 80 dB and higher while hoh is from 40 to 80 dB. I may be a few dBs off but that is the ballpark figure.

Hope that helps!

yep that definitely helps, I'm convinced now, thanks! I kind of "fake" it in conversations too, but usually only when I'm pissed after reminding a person to speak up and they haven't. But yeah I think severe: 70-90 dB, and profound: 90 dB and up.

Hey, do you think I should tell my mom that I'm deaf...? Or does it matter... because... I don't think she really realizes it LMAO.

Interesting inquiry-- ;)

As for me, I'm 'HoH' (hard-of-hearing)...however, at nights while cuddlin' with the ZZ's (and wife-- :D), one might want to grab a 'bull-horn' just to get my attention! :lol:

You mean they'd have to jab you in the ribs with a bull-horn? ;) I know I'd probably sleep through some one shouting at me with a bull horn or megaphone.

I have a loss of 92 db in both ears.. and I cannot even hear speech at normal loudness level without hearing aids.. hence, I am deaf.. I can still hear loud environmental sounds but no speech.

When I wear hearing aids, I can understand speech to some degree especially in quiet..so I'm hard of hearing with hearing aids.

In brief,I am naturally deaf.

I had no idea what most people were saying about 80% of the time if I am in a large group but I faked it well so people thought I was able to follow the conversations.
Horrible experiences here....I'd never do that again!

Basic rule of thumb is this: if you can’t use a regular, unamplified telephone, you’re deaf.

Basic rule of thumb is this: if you can’t use a regular, unamplified telephone, you’re deaf.

:hmm: I can't use any regular phone even with hearing aids .. I need high volume but fail at a succesful communication , so I'm :deaf:

Hi...I think you misunderstood me, I have no problem with acceptance. My own mother has told me "you're not deaf." I have no problem being deaf, I'm just questioning the difference between being "profoundly deaf" and "profoudly hard of hearing" if there is one.

yep that definitely helps, I'm convinced now, thanks! I kind of "fake" it in conversations too, but usually only when I'm pissed after reminding a person to speak up and they haven't. But yeah I think severe: 70-90 dB, and profound: 90 dB and up.

Hey, do you think I should tell my mom that I'm deaf...? Or does it matter... because... I don't think she really realizes it LMAO.

If u are comfortable with it, go for it. Does your mom have a hard time accepting it?

Back