Um.....just in my thought.....

lucidjen

Reaction score
Today, in my ASL Class, I was teaching vocabulary for ppl to learn some signs, it was like a basic classes, few were serious but most, were lazy. whatever. Then one girl named Ashley, she popped up a question to ask my interpreter, asking, "where u learn sign language?" she explained it back to her, then she had a question for me, excuse me for that, I forgot a question that she asked me. Oops. Then, somehow, she asked....[thinking] "can you hear yourself, like with vibrations...feeling?" im like, yes, when I talk...my throat vibrates, plus I have CI. Then many kids asking alot of question. So here my questions, "Do you feel comfortable when alot of people asking you alot of question abt yourself being deaf, all vary of questions?"
For me, it's okay...but if its a repeatly question, I wld be tired of it, plus...I love to answer any questions, if it was a really difficult question, It will be impossible to answer.

lucidjen said:
Today, in my ASL Class, I was teaching vocabulary for ppl to learn some signs, it was like a basic classes, few were serious but most, were lazy. whatever. Then one girl named Ashley, she popped up a question to ask my interpreter, asking, "where u learn sign language?" she explained it back to her, then she had a question for me, excuse me for that, I forgot a question that she asked me. Oops. Then, somehow, she asked....[thinking] "can you hear yourself, like with vibrations...feeling?" im like, yes, when I talk...my throat vibrates, plus I have CI. Then many kids asking alot of question. So here my questions, "Do you feel comfortable when alot of people asking you alot of question abt yourself being deaf, all vary of questions?"
For me, it's okay...but if its a repeatly question, I wld be tired of it, plus...I love to answer any questions, if it was a really difficult question, It will be impossible to answer.

Don't Worry, you are loved, but I can totally understand how you are feeling, i get asked some weird ?'s too! bye!

u ain't the only one... many people even asked me stupid questions like " how do u know when ur kid's cring?" " how can u hear the police siren comming closer?" too many to list :P

Top Ten Things That Hearing People Ask Deaf People:

10: If a deaf child swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

9: Can deaf people have sex?

8. Can’t you read lips?

7. Why isn’t your friend’s voice as good as yours?

6. Isn’t Marlee Matlin just awesome?

5. Are your children deaf too?

4. Can you read that menu thing with the bumpy dots on the McDonald’s counter?

3. You get money from the government every month, right?

2. Can deaf people drive?

And the number one thing that hearing people ask Deaf people:

Do you dream in sign language?

Hearin' men tends to wonder in their minds about D E A F women....

Their thinkin' is like "What's like to have S E X with a Deaf woman?" :roll:

:werd: exactly thats why i do NOT feel
comfortable dating any hearing men

Levonian said:
Top Ten Things That Hearing People Ask Deaf People:

10: If a deaf child swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

9: Can deaf people have sex?

8. Can’t you read lips?

7. Why isn’t your friend’s voice as good as yours?

6. Isn’t Marlee Matlin just awesome?

5. Are your children deaf too?

4. Can you read that menu thing with the bumpy dots on the McDonald’s counter?

3. You get money from the government every month, right?

2. Can deaf people drive?

And the number one thing that hearing people ask Deaf people:

Do you dream in sign language?

What happened to..How do deaf people have oral sex?

Can deaf people have sex?

I preferred to turn the light off as more comfortable.

Deaf people turn the light on.

Hearing people turn the light off.

Sabrina said:

you're damn right, I prefer to turn the light off!

Y said:
:werd: exactly thats why i do NOT feel
comfortable dating any hearing men

Why? whats wrong with that?
I have dated few hearing guys....they were all willing to learn sign language, and did everything to be able to communicate, etc. Maybe if you tried, and they weren't like that....i mean, who knows.

Sabrina said:

Actually, I might have to disagree with "hearing ppl turns the light off" they prolly wanna to see whats happening in that time.

Well i was married to a deaf man and divorced him then married a hearing man so i would say i prefer hearing man! :thumb:

oh and... one time on the airplane, the waitress asked me what i wanted and i gestured that i was deaf and i need another means of communication such as menu, paper/pen and she said OOOOH and came back with a braille pad.

lilredridinhood said:
oh and... one time on the airplane, the waitress asked me what i wanted and i gestured that i was deaf and i need another means of communication such as menu, paper/pen and she said OOOOH and came back with a braille pad.

Ouch! You should've gestured that you were Deaf, not dumb.

coffeeeeman said:
What happened to..How do deaf people have oral sex?

Well, there’s that old joke about the militant Deaf girl who was so anti-oral that she wouldn’t give blow jobs.

Mmmhhhh I understand how you feeling… I´m agree that it´s normal for hearing to be curiously what deafie doing… I´m also ask them curiously & receive their interesting answer, too.

· I’m patience person & repeat their “curiously” questions in the past but some of them asked sexually questions, too like the example about Coffeeeman’s & Levonian’s post.

· How I hear when the door ring, clock alarm ring, etc etc etc
· How I understand TV? Read their lipreading?
· How could I communicate with hearing children.
· How I hear babies cries?
· Can I do with oral sex?
· Did deafie have sexually emotion?
· Did I communicate with my husband by sign language during sex?
· Turn off or on?
· How I learn Sign languages etc.
· Music, etc everything you name it.

Sigh, I receive many of questions like this… I getting use it now because I want show them how good positive deafie are to hearing world…
Hearing people said that sign languages are a beautiful culture…
I´m agree that some of their questions are werid but I know that they can’t image how I could living without hear because it’s beautiful to hear like water drop, rain, weather, bird singing etc.
BUT one of their interesting questions is: “Sign languages are good advantage for the foreigners in the world. I told them that it’s not true – there’re different sign languages like foreign speaking languages.

One of 2 work colleagues put her hands on her ears & stay that for 30 minutes then said to me that she cant living without hear…

Last edited:
Sabrina said:

Ha ha ha, my husband is deaf but we didn´t turn the light on during sex lol… :mrgreen:

i get asked a lot of questions about being hoh, mostly b./c I am one of the only dhh kids here at my school.

Back