ughhh....interpreter issues at school...

This is from Ohio Legal Rights Service:

Institutions of Higher Education
If the discriminatory public entity is an institution of higher education, a complaint can also be filed with OCRC at one of the regional offices. Ohio law requires institutions of higher education to provide auxiliary aids and services to students who are D/HOH. Educational institutions that receive federal funds (this is most schools, including most elementary and secondary schools) must also comply with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and a complaint of discrimination under Section 504 can be filed with the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights. Finally, public schools may also be sued under Title Two of the ADA.

Refer to Where to File a Complaint for OCRC and U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights contact information.

Have to use them to help you? It might help to call , they say public schools can be sued , I bet this would made your school listen to you!

They have complied though. The issue is really job performance by the interpreter.

I live in ohio. i'm not going to annouce what city i live in. Just the state. But I do not want to go to school tomorrow because of my interpreter. I'm not looking forward to it at all. Did i mention that she leaves during lunch and comes into school in the morning of first class a half hour late? and comes in late for my 5th period class after lunch?? i'm getting tired of it. she thinks she can do whatever she wants.

Hi coolgirlspyer90,
I just called 'Ohio Legal Rights Services' and spoke to Jason ,, she was very helpful and would like your parents or you to call her agency so they can help you with your interpreter issues. Their phone is : 1800-282-9181
TTY # is : 1800-585-3542 ; 'Ohio Legal Rights Services 'email address is;
webmaster@olrs.state.oh.us . They're open 9 -4 , Mon- Fri.
'Ohio Legal Rights Services ' is trying to let teenagers and young adults know about their agency as some people do not know what rights are. Anyone from Ohio can call this agency , if they can't help you they will put you in contact with an agency that can help you.
Every state has their own agencies to help people , you should call an agency if you do not know what your rights are or feel that your right are being violated!
coolgirlspyer90, I hope this infor. will help you and I wish you the best of luck .

Hi coolgirlspyer90,
I just called 'Ohio Legal Rights Services' and spoke to Jason ,, she was very helpful and would like your parents or you to call her agency so they can help you with your interpreter issues. Their phone is : 1800-282-9181
TTY # is : 1800-585-3542 ; 'Ohio Legal Rights Services 'email address is;
webmaster@olrs.state.oh.us . They're open 9 -4 , Mon- Fri.
'Ohio Legal Rights Services ' is trying to let teenagers and young adults know about their agency as some people do not know what rights are. Anyone from Ohio can call this agency , if they can't help you they will put you in contact with an agency that can help you.
Every state has their own agencies to help people , you should call an agency if you do not know what your rights are or feel that your right are being violated!
coolgirlspyer90, I hope this infor. will help you and I wish you the best of luck .

While I appreciate your enthusiasm in trying to help this poster, this is not an issue of rights under the law. The school has provided an interpreter. They are in compliance with the law. This is an issue of the interpreter's performance. That needs to be addressed from a different perspective. Addressing it from the perspective of violation of the ADA will get this poster no where.

Also, the excerpt posted in post #20 is in reference to colleges and universities. This student is in high school.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm in trying to help this poster, this is not an issue of rights under the law. The school has provided an interpreter. They are in compliance with the law. This is an issue of the interpreter's performance. That needs to be addressed from a different perspective. Addressing it from the perspective of violation of the ADA will get this poster no where.

Also, the excerpt posted in post #20 is in reference to colleges and universities. This student is in high school.

I know the student is in high school. I know how it feel to not get the help you need when you're HOH . From what I am reading the interpreter is not doing a good job! I am not out of place posting my infor is has not been removed yet! You're only one person, if others feel the the same way ,I will stop posting this kind of infor!

I know the student is in high school. I know how it feel to not get the help you need when you're HOH . From what I am reading the interpreter is not doing a good job! I am not out of place posting my infor is has not been removed yet! You're only one person, if others feel the the same way ,I will stop posting this kind of infor!

Everyone here knows how it feels.

The only way you are out of place, is that the information you gave is useless in this situation.

Jillio explained to you why it does not apply.

It is great for you to post helpful information, but read carefully and make sure it is something that will be appropriate to the situation you are trying to help.

Everyone here knows how it feels.

The only way you are out of place, is that the information you gave is useless in this situation.

Jillio explained to you why it does not apply.

It is great for you to post helpful information, but read carefully and make sure it is something that will be appropriate to the situation you are trying to help.

Exactly, Bott. I simply don't want the OP sent on a wild goose chase in the wrong direction.

Hi guys, I read your posts here..

School was okay. My interpreter left early during my 6th period class because we were doing reviews for exams. I didn't talk much to her today because i was just fed up with it. As for her she is still complaining about her personal life. I really want this to be able to be DONE. I cannot go through this again next year when i'm sophmore. My interpreter was talking to my teachers about me behind my back in loud voices not whispering, talking about my Bad grade in soc.studies and thinking that i might need to move into a lower level where the class is at a slower pace. Which upsets me alot because I'm already in 2 classes where its at a slower pace for me to learn. Which is English and math. And I know i'm capable of doing my own work. And i wish that this nightmare would be over. I feel out of place, i feel like i give up, fustrated, don't know what to do. My interpeter once again has not interpret for me today. Playing on her cell phone, talking to her boyfriend or boss and leaving during classes and coming back into classes to go to the bathroom and getting to school a half hour late. I would like to be able to solve this situation. But i'm not sure how to do it anymore.

Gee... sounds like an awful interpreter.

Have you set up a meeting with the principal about this?

Explain your concerns and also explain that it would help if they were prepared to call in a substitute interpreter.

So, is it only one interpreter for you... the only deaf student in the whole school?

Yes i'm the only deaf student in a hearing school. And no i have not set up a meeting with the principle. But as far as I know through out the beginning of the school year: 2008 to 2009 I RARELY have a substitute interpreter. My interpreter is the only one calling a sub for me but CSD (community service for the deaf in Dayton or Cincinnati,OH) they say that there are none available for me or its either that they have a wait list for interpreters. My mother called and complained to the school one morning when i texted my mom saying that my interpreter wasn't going to be here today because she has a 'headache' (she calls in school because its either she has a headache, a cold, allergies, sometimes too tired) and asked the school that if there was a sub available for me. but apperantly not. But then my mom said that in my IEP that it was REQUIRED for me to have a sub interpreter. The principle apoligized to me and my parents saying it was their fault for not calling a sub for me and they ended up looking for a sub for me for about TWO hours. So then i FINALLY had an subsitute intepreter in the afternoon towards almost to the end of the school day. I was so mad that day because i was so fustrated. I could not understand a darn thing that the teachers were saying. I feel like its my turn to deal with it because i'm deaf. and i think its time i started standing up for myself. Even though I'm a VERY shy girl with not so much confidence and having the fear of getting into trouble with the school.

mostly interpreters who got married and have children somedays they approves as jobs for schools....

i remind my old school one of interpreter had baby in 1996 and got leave for weeks till returns after had baby that why....

mostly interpreter should have professional than nothing and good signs or nothing.

mostly interpreters who got married and have children somedays they approves as jobs for schools....

i remind my old school one of interpreter had baby in 1996 and got leave for weeks till returns after had baby that why....

mostly interpreter should have professional than nothing and good signs or nothing.

my interpreter is divorced, she does have a boyfriend but she has no kids

Hi guys, I read your posts here..

School was okay. My interpreter left early during my 6th period class because we were doing reviews for exams. I didn't talk much to her today because i was just fed up with it. As for her she is still complaining about her personal life. I really want this to be able to be DONE. I cannot go through this again next year when i'm sophmore. My interpreter was talking to my teachers about me behind my back in loud voices not whispering, talking about my Bad grade in soc.studies and thinking that i might need to move into a lower level where the class is at a slower pace. Which upsets me alot because I'm already in 2 classes where its at a slower pace for me to learn. Which is English and math. And I know i'm capable of doing my own work. And i wish that this nightmare would be over. I feel out of place, i feel like i give up, fustrated, don't know what to do. My interpeter once again has not interpret for me today. Playing on her cell phone, talking to her boyfriend or boss and leaving during classes and coming back into classes to go to the bathroom and getting to school a half hour late. I would like to be able to solve this situation. But i'm not sure how to do it anymore.

Now I see a huge problem right there. If you were reviewing for exams, your terp should have been there doing what she was hired to do...interpret the classroom information. That review is important. The hearing students in your class have access to the review material. You are entitled to access as well.

I will keep talking to you in PM about this.

Now I see a huge problem right there. If you were reviewing for exams, your terp should have been there doing what she was hired to do...interpret the classroom information. That review is important. The hearing students in your class have access to the review material. You are entitled to access as well.

I will keep talking to you in PM about this.

is this in any way a violation of the ADA? and maybe somehow i can show this to the school that she has not been doing her job?

is this in any way a violation of the ADA? and maybe somehow i can show this to the school that she has not been doing her job?

Well, actually, it can be interpreted to be a violation, as the ADA sets forth a madate for qualified terps, and also, for interpreting all information that is provided to the hearing students. Where it gets sticky is if the school were to claim that they did not know that she was not interpreting in all situations. And, yes, the school needs to be aware of every single situation in which she has failed to interpret.

Well, actually, it can be interpreted to be a violation, as the ADA sets forth a madate for qualified terps, and also, for interpreting all information that is provided to the hearing students. Where it gets sticky is if the school were to claim that they did not know that she was not interpreting in all situations. And, yes, the school needs to be aware of every single situation in which she has failed to interpret.

well apparently i don't think the school is aware of what is going on right now up until my mother called and complained about this 2 weeks ago. This has been going on for about 3 years. And I started getting fustrated last year when i was in the 8th grade and i was fed up this year in the 9th grade and told my parents the times that she has been missing days of not being able to interprete for me.

Yes i'm the only deaf student in a hearing school. And no i have not set up a meeting with the principle. But as far as I know through out the beginning of the school year: 2008 to 2009 I RARELY have a substitute interpreter. My interpreter is the only one calling a sub for me but CSD (community service for the deaf in Dayton or Cincinnati,OH) they say that there are none available for me or its either that they have a wait list for interpreters. My mother called and complained to the school one morning when i texted my mom saying that my interpreter wasn't going to be here today because she has a 'headache' (she calls in school because its either she has a headache, a cold, allergies, sometimes too tired) and asked the school that if there was a sub available for me. but apperantly not. But then my mom said that in my IEP that it was REQUIRED for me to have a sub interpreter. The principle apoligized to me and my parents saying it was their fault for not calling a sub for me and they ended up looking for a sub for me for about TWO hours. So then i FINALLY had an subsitute intepreter in the afternoon towards almost to the end of the school day. I was so mad that day because i was so fustrated. I could not understand a darn thing that the teachers were saying. I feel like its my turn to deal with it because i'm deaf. and i think its time i started standing up for myself. Even though I'm a VERY shy girl with not so much confidence and having the fear of getting into trouble with the school.

Can you record what the teacher is saying and have someone interpreter it later?

Can you record what the teacher is saying and have someone interpreter it later?

I probably can. but it would probably be a pain in the butt. because of the school system. because they would say what they think is right and what is not. But i don't know. I'll have to ask my mom about that.

I probably can. but it would probably be a pain in the butt. because of the school system. because they would say what they think is right and what is not. But i don't know. I'll have to ask my mom about that.

No, don't do that. It lets the school off the hook. Plus, you would have to get a signed agreement from all of your teachers to tape record their classes, and the use of a tape recorder would have to be written into your IEP.

No, don't do that. It lets the school off the hook. Plus, you would have to get a signed agreement from all of your teachers to tape record their classes, and the use of a tape recorder would have to be written into your IEP.

oh ok. Jillo, please check your PM again. I'm sending you a PM about me talking to my mother about my interpreter.

Wow...I am really sorry you are in this situation. I wish you the best of luck. Is there anyone in your school you can talk with? Maybe a guidance counselor could give you advice on how to confront this terp?

Definitely try to get this resolved by the end of the school year, so you can start the new year off great!

Back