Ubuntu

Now I am officially Ubuntu addicted ;)

Now I am officially Ubuntu addicted ;)

:thumb: Remember this is not Windows, you cant use Windows program and install it, it's different. You dont need a anti-virus or deframent it. I use the terminal to install programs without having to download from varies websites. Let's say I want to install VLC. VLC is a media player. You can add it via Add/remove. Other way is the Terminal, I type sudo apt-get install vlc, it will then promote for a password. And viola it's downloading via the terminal and installing.

Ubuntu 9.04? or you mean Kubuntu 9.04?

I now am using Kubuntu 9.04 on my main PC, still with Windows on netbook.

I like Kubuntu 9.04 than the previous versions.

Edit: I am now downloading ubuntiu 9.04 and will see if any better than Kubuntu.

I liked 9.04, but the PC I was using it on died. RIP. Not sure if I'm going to put it back on my laptop and dual boot with Vista like I usedd to do.

Ubuntu 9.04? or you mean Kubuntu 9.04?

I now am using Kubuntu 9.04 on my main PC, still with Windows on netbook.

I like Kubuntu 9.04 than the previous versions.

Edit: I am now downloading ubuntiu 9.04 and will see if any better than Kubuntu.

No I mean Ubuntu, Kubuntu is another "Desktop Environment" distributions. There are many Linux distributions.

Linux distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kubuntu | Ubuntu

There are many distributions in the Ubuntu family:
Ubuntu
Kubuntu
Edubuntu
Gobuntu
Xubuntu

:thumb: Remember this is not Windows, you cant use Windows program and install it, it's different. You dont need a anti-virus or deframent it. I use the terminal to install programs without having to download from varies websites. Let's say I want to install VLC. VLC is a media player. You can add it via Add/remove. Other way is the Terminal, I type sudo apt-get install vlc, it will then promote for a password. And viola it's downloading via the terminal and installing.

Yup, I had done like that when I was on Ubuntu but you have use terminal to remove the files, such as couple of files from Google Earth need to be remove due no x64 support for this app, it gave me a frustrated because can't delete files in trash like Windows or Mac OS X does.

Ubuntu x32 is easier if you don't want alot of work to make app to get work on x64.

Yes I love ubuntu and alot better than XP slower load. One thing Ubuntu doesn't support microsoft games or any games so I have to switch to XP to playing games. No big deal, Ubuntu is still the best :type:

Yes I love ubuntu and alot better than XP slower load. One thing Ubuntu doesn't support microsoft games or any games so I have to switch to XP to playing games. No big deal, Ubuntu is still the best :type:

Yeah because Wines don't work with all Windows games, it'll works with older games. Cedgna is another Wines program that would work with some games that don't work on Wines.

Using Virtual Machine inside Linux sometime works with games if it doesn't have DirectX or OpenGL ect.. I've use Virtualbox and two other VM and installed Riven (Sequel of Myst). It did successfully installs game but when running it, it popped "Debugger error". Learning that software won't run without DirectX.

Hope one day they will develop OpenSource games for all platforms rather than just purely Windows.

Linux DOES have Opensource games that you can buy But it may not be the one that you look for same brands used for Windows.

Catty

Yeah because Wines don't work with all Windows games, it'll works with older games. Cedgna is another Wines program that would work with some games that don't work on Wines.

Using Virtual Machine inside Linux sometime works with games if it doesn't have DirectX or OpenGL ect.. I've use Virtualbox and two other VM and installed Riven (Sequel of Myst). It did successfully installs game but when running it, it popped "Debugger error". Learning that software won't run without DirectX.

Hope one day they will develop OpenSource games for all platforms rather than just purely Windows.

Linux DOES have Opensource games that you can buy But it may not be the one that you look for same brands used for Windows.

Catty

It don't happen to market standard.

It don't happen to market standard.

Noticed that :lol:

Cuz many people are not tuned for Linux. I wonder if the game that works for Mac OS would work with Linux? I haven't tried that. I got one game that is Windows/Mac compatible. I will see if it would work with Linux cuz both Mac and Linux are Unix base. Just for fun of it. :shrug:

Catty

Noticed that :lol:

Cuz many people are not tuned for Linux. I wonder if the game that works for Mac OS would work with Linux? I haven't tried that. I got one game that is Windows/Mac compatible. I will see if it would work with Linux cuz both Mac and Linux are Unix base. Just for fun of it. :shrug:

Catty

Mac OS X and Linux has different written, Linux use X Window System (X11) and Mac OS X use Cocoa/Carbon.

All Mac OS X games are based on Cocoa or Carbon then won't run on Linux.

Mac OS X and Linux has different written, Linux use X Window System (X11) and Mac OS X use Cocoa/Carbon.

All Mac OS X games are based on Cocoa or Carbon then won't run on Linux.

Ok understood :lol:

I just checked:

http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com/msg02240.html

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=654517

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/11540/

I learned that Carbon will be extinct because it does not support 64bit. Apple is keeping Coca.

They said there will be alot of programming to build layer to get Linux working with Apple softwares.

Catty

Ok understood :lol:

I just checked:

Re: A Wine-like compatibility layer to run Mac OS X programs on Linux?

Should it not be easier to make a wine equivalent for OSX apps? - Ubuntu Forums

Idea #11540: "Create OSX binary compat layer, ship with Ubuntu" - Ubuntu brainstorm

I learned that Carbon will be extinct because it does not support 64bit. Apple is keeping Coca.

They said there will be alot of programming to build layer to get Linux working with Apple softwares.

Catty

Yup, it don't means Apple will switch to X11, never happen because X11 isn't friendly to basic users so Mac OS X is designed for easier to use it, Apple will sticking with Cocoa and some existing Mac apps still use Carbon.

Windows is 90% of PC market, it don't means market will goes with Windows or Linux so equally and many gaming companies are favor into Windows and Mac in some part.

Yup, it don't means Apple will switch to X11, never happen because X11 isn't friendly to basic users so Mac OS X is designed for easier to use it, Apple will sticking with Cocoa and some existing Mac apps still use Carbon.

Windows is 90% of PC market, it don't means market will goes with Windows or Linux so equally and many gaming companies are favor into Windows and Mac in some part.

Agreed

Catty

You got pet koala from JClarke!
12626610_27a66b275b.jpg
:lol:

but you can settle new Ubuntu 9.10 Karamic Koala.

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala Out Now But Still Not As Fuzzy As a Real Koala - Ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala - Gizmodo

Yeah, basically you could compile unix apps and run it on Mac OS X. It's for experienced users, of course.

I'm going to update my Ubuntu desktop to 9.10. I haven't tried it cuz I was soo busy at work and home. Now I have free time to play with it.

Catty

YEEESSSSSS!!!

Ubuntu 9.10 is NOW 100% compatible with my Acer Aspire laptop while on Live CD!!! It's been fixed and it now recognize Atheros AR5005g mini pci card and also it did turned on Acer's ACPI without having me to do complicated compiling (Acer ACPI driver and Mad Wifi). I saw the Wifi yellow light lit on the front side of laptop that puzzled me at first cuz I've never seen it work with previous version of Ubuntu. I check to see if there are list of routers, it did and I clicked Dlink and it popped WPA security and I typed in and hit return, it connected effortlessly!!. Also the ATI 200m graphic chipset works nicely that it had problem previous version of Ubuntu (It crashed when it was running for 5 or more min).. I like the look of Ubuntu's desktop. I haven't tried Compiz function. It appears that I am able to dual boot Ubuntu to my laptop!!! :rockon::dance2:

It's a biggest improvement I've seen!!

I played with new desktop function and even turning on "Desktop Effect" and it did work nicely. I was able to use wobbly window without any hitch. I played with 3D screensaver (GL screensavers) and few of them ran slow and some ran nomally. It's not a big deal to me cuz I don't use screensaver much.

Now that I'm happy!

Thankyou Ubuntu!!

CAtty

Back