UbiDuo Questions

ljjehl

Reaction score
My Sam's Club in San Antonio, Texas has implemented some UbiDuos for use to help their associates to communicate with the Deaf Sam's Club members. Has anybody out here had any experience with these? What are your comments regarding its use to communicate with others in a work environment?

In case some of you do not know what a UbiDuo is, here's the link:

sComm | Freedom Through Communication

I am AGAINST UbiDuo. I know the owner/creator personally. Strongly against it because it takes away the interpreters job(s) and you need to think about Deaf peoples English language. Some deaf peoples English language is in ASL..meaning they sign ASL...and write ASL. For example...I sign to you: "soon store me go buy groceries. me back hour. Need anything you? No? OK..hour see later you."

How do you think store managers/doctors/business associates will think if the deaf person/employee/client types like that if their English is not good? That ruins the stereotype of deaf people. It will make hearings think low of us. That's why I'm against it. Interpreters are a GREAT thing. They can convert ASL into spoken English fluently. It just ruins the reputation of deaf people stereotypically.

My 2 Cents

I am AGAINST UbiDuo. I know the owner/creator personally. Strongly against it because it takes away the interpreters job(s) and you need to think about Deaf peoples English language. Some deaf peoples English language is in ASL..meaning they sign ASL...and write ASL. For example...I sign to you: "soon store me go buy groceries. me back hour. Need anything you? No? OK..hour see later you."

How do you think store managers/doctors/business associates will think if the deaf person/employee/client types like that if their English is not good? That ruins the stereotype of deaf people. It will make hearings think low of us. That's why I'm against it. Interpreters are a GREAT thing. They can convert ASL into spoken English fluently. It just ruins the reputation of deaf people stereotypically.

My 2 Cents

I agree with you!

I don't get it......and so far both type so good.....if you are able to type good, I can imagine you can communicate the same to a hearing person.

I have a profound hearing loss, but the only need I have for interpreters are oral as I read lips fluently. I understand what you are saying to some extent, but in order for Deaf person to communicate to a hearie in a retail/public establishment (store/restaurant,etc) they will need a hearie with ASL experience. This is not a given in hearies, but I think there are more people that know how to type and interpret typed messages from Deaf individuals, which I think can be faster and more mobile than pen and paper.

I also see that this device also has the capability to be used as a TTY device too....

I think anybody that uses a UbiDuo or similar machine will probably know a little bit what to expect from a ASL proficient individual. I'm not against interpreters, as they have helped me a bunch, but they are not always where you want them to be, especially at a restaurant or grocery store. This is where pen and paper or text typing equipment will become useful for communication. :)

What I am trying to get at is this:

The integrity of a Deaf person's reputation can be seriously compromised. If one Deaf person's English language isn't all that great or not proficient enough, then the stereotype of DEAF people is immediately made that ALL DEAF peoples English is not good. Currently the stereotype (please correct me if I'm wrong AD'ers) is that DEAF people are disabled..English level is below 2nd or 3rd grade level. What I'm trying to get at is keeping the integrity of your reputation.

Yes, you are correct that interpreters can never be where you want them to be. Pen and paper comes in handy..and I am ASSUMING (keyword...assuming) that the majority of DEAF people use their sidekicks/Blackberry/mobile phone with some kind of Notepad application to communicate quicker/faster at grocery stores/restaurants and the like.

My question is this: do you REALLY want to lug around the UBI/DUO every where you go? The old tried and tested pen and paper works best next to using your cellphone.

If having an interpreter is an option, I would choose interpreter over UBI ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. If I had a choice between the UBI and pen and paper..I'd choose pen and paper/mobile phone. It's too big and cumbersome for me to like it.

I guess I'm a staunch supporter of Interpreters and keeping the integrity of Deafhood intact.

Dodge Trucker
I guess I'm a staunch supporter of Interpreters and keeping the integrity of Deafhood intact.

What about independence?

I find it interesting that you claim you would choose an interpreter, when it appears from your writing that you are not experiencing the same implied struggles with English as members of Deafhood.:hmm:

What I am trying to get at is this:

The integrity of a Deaf person's reputation can be seriously compromised. If one Deaf person's English language isn't all that great or not proficient enough, then the stereotype of DEAF people is immediately made that ALL DEAF peoples English is not good. Currently the stereotype (please correct me if I'm wrong AD'ers) is that DEAF people are disabled..English level is below 2nd or 3rd grade level. What I'm trying to get at is keeping the integrity of your reputation.

Yes, you are correct that interpreters can never be where you want them to be. Pen and paper comes in handy..and I am ASSUMING (keyword...assuming) that the majority of DEAF people use their sidekicks/Blackberry/mobile phone with some kind of Notepad application to communicate quicker/faster at grocery stores/restaurants and the like.

My question is this: do you REALLY want to lug around the UBI/DUO every where you go? The old tried and tested pen and paper works best next to using your cellphone.

If having an interpreter is an option, I would choose interpreter over UBI ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. If I had a choice between the UBI and pen and paper..I'd choose pen and paper/mobile phone. It's too big and cumbersome for me to like it.

I thought the store provided. Nothing for me the carry. I would like it quite a bit.

Dodge Trucker

What about independence?

I find it interesting that you claim you would choose an interpreter, when it appears from your writing that you are not experiencing the same implied struggles with English as members of Deafhood.:hmm:

Speaking of independence...I love having my own independence. I am most fortunate to have good English level skills. Not gloating or anything, but I am just saying I am fortunate.

I, myself, am hard of hearing and can speak quite well or good enough to carry on a conversation strictly one-on-one only. My theory is this: When I am around hearing folks and I can see they do not have the patience for such "people like me" - I turn off my voice/speaking. They believe that if you can speak...you can hear. So, if I know I will not be able to understand them, I turn off my voice and hearing abilities and force them to either write or use other communication methods. Some folks call themselves Hard of Hearing and not DEAF. I like the label DEAF on my back just fine. When I am around my friends who are deaf and or hard of hearing...I am DEAF period. No speaking or hearing. I sign only. My folks are hard of hearing and are very oral in almost everything. I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Reason why I would choose an interpreter regardless of my English levels is because If I am at a doctor/hospital/meeting or whatever you have...I would like to understand the totality of the conversation and be immensely involved in it without any misunderstandings. The interpreter can just as easily convert BIG BIG LONG names into something simple to where I can understand it. It would be embarrassing to ask "uhmm I don't understand what you are saying with your big big long names...can you dumb it down for me?" That is why I would choose an interpreter regardless.

Quote:
....Cued Speech has substantial data showing that it enables deaf children to attain competency in English at the level of hearing students grade by grade. I know of no other system that enables this to happen.... As more and more young deaf persons achieve academically because of this system, deaf leaders will need to re-examine their options.
- Dr. Edward C. Merrill, Jr. past president of Gallaudet

As for your signature on cued speech, believe it or not, I support Cued Speech because I have seen it WORK. My wife is living proof of that. She is profoundly deaf and she speaks quite well even tho she can not hear a single word she is saying. She was raised/taught Cued speech up until she graduated. Afterwards she learned ASL and Deaf Culture and its way of life.

The selected Sam's Clubs are having the UbiDuos "in house" to benefit any Deaf individuals and others that might have difficulties speaking. This will actually help those individuals from having to purchase their own, as like you said, mobile devices like sidekicks are easier to lug around. Also, the shopper can also ask their questions away from the service desk and not have to "wait in line", due to the wireless capabilities of the UbiDuo. I don't think a mobile phone will have the same benefit with texting (I wish it was that way :) )

In case there is anybody interested in attending one of the YESS meetings funded by DARS and CSD, there is a meeting on tomorrow (Wednesday), May 20th, from 6:30-8:30 at the CSD of San Antonio-Texas office. Communication Service for the Deaf I will be showing off the UbiDuo device that my Sam's Club has been using to help communicate with the Deaf/Voice disabled shoppers.

My 2 Cents

I can assure you that the Ubiduo does not "take away the interpreters." That myth as well as the English "proficiency" requirement myth have been going on ever since the Ubiduo came out. It has been discussed in various deaf forums and blogs. In fact, Jason Curry, the owner of UbiDuo company, do require interpreters in certain situations though he uses his UbiDuo in most situations requiring face to face communication since interpreters are not always in abundance nor available 24/7.

I personally know him and have discussed many times over the video phone with him over the years. He is a great, personal friend of mine.

I can assure you that the Ubiduo does not "take away the interpreters." That myth as well as the English "proficiency" requirement myth have been going on ever since the Ubiduo came out. It has been discussed in various deaf forums and blogs. In fact, Jason Curry, the owner of UbiDuo company, do require interpreters in certain situations though he uses his UbiDuo in most situations requiring face to face communication since interpreters are not always in abundance nor available 24/7.

I personally know him and have discussed many times over the video phone with him over the years. He is a great, personal friend of mine.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, just as I am certainly entitled to mine. No amount of persuasion will sway my decision about this UBI Duo thing. I too, personally know David as well. You and I have butted heads over this before. We've drawn our lines in the sand.

Let's agree to disagree and be done with it.

In case there is anybody interested in attending one of the YESS meetings funded by DARS and CSD, there is a meeting on tomorrow (Wednesday), May 20th, from 6:30-8:30 at the CSD of San Antonio-Texas office. Communication Service for the Deaf I will be showing off the UbiDuo device that my Sam's Club has been using to help communicate with the Deaf/Voice disabled shoppers.

Well,

FYI...the meeting went w/o a hitch...had a good turnout!!

BTW, The UbiDuo devices are ready for anybody that needs the access at the Sam's Club off IH35 and Judson rd., which is just inside the the city limits of North San Antonio, Texas off Interstate 35 South. I'm also trying to get dedicated access of the TTY/Ubi4Tel option, but in order for this to happen, I need users to request this access at our Sam's Club. If this happens at a good frequency, then the company may decide to implement this for all the clubs as needed. The TTY access is useful for accessing the phone services of our SAM'S CLUB website. If nobody wants to use it or request it, then this will hamper efforts for our company to "make equal access to all".

Right now there are only 4-5 clubs that have these devices "in house", so it's best for all of us current/future Sam's Club shoppers to make sure that to try it out and make our comments heard......denial won't help progress......

Have a great day, y'all!!

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, just as I am certainly entitled to mine. No amount of persuasion will sway my decision about this UBI Duo thing. I too, personally know David as well. You and I have butted heads over this before. We've drawn our lines in the sand.

Let's agree to disagree and be done with it.

Um, the owner of UbiDuo is not David.

Back