TypeWell...

DeafCapricorn

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used this transcription service?

I will be using this in college... where a lady goes to class with me and transcribes everything being said.

Just wanting to know if anyone's used this or has information on it... I've visited the website, but there's not enough feedback on it from previous users...

Yes, I used to do Typewell transcription. I was in the first batch of transcribers when CSUN adopted it.

The way it works that is different from RTCs is that the short cuts are based on spelling, not on pronunciation. Transcribers learn a special Word-like program that turns short abbreviations into longer words, sort of like Braille. We were drilled on a certain number (100 I think?) of the most common words we were likely to encounter, and then we learned rules for how to abbreviate any other word. So you still have to type, but in essence the system ups your typing speed enormously.

Transcribers use the program on a laptop and set up like a RTC with a little stand and a chair. The difference is the student can be issued a laptop that interfaces wirelessly with the transcriber's, so they do not have to sit together, which is nice when it's a big classroom, the student prefers to sit in the back, and the transcriber has to sit up front to hear the teacher.

When we started transcribing, we did not do it in this real-time way but there were plans to start. We took our files, edited them, and sent them to NCOD where they were put in the students' mailboxes. This meant that there was a very wide range of transcription types available. We were always told to go for "meaning-for-meaning" transcription as it is not "word-for-word." This meant that in some cases the transcriptions were more like someone taking notes on the teacher's lecture, especially if the transcriber didn't type super quickly. This was considered acceptable because the users of the system were using interpreters or hearing/lipreading, so detailed notes were fine as they were getting the content in class.

I normally type about 80-90 words per minute so with this system I was generally able to do a complete word-for-word transcription except for fast overlapping conversations. I would have done well with the wireless hookup but the slowest typists we had, who had to summarize everything, probably wouldn't. Like I said this was a while ago so things may have changed, and also I don't know how your school uses the system, so maybe you'll get almost word-for-word transcriptions or it might be more paraphrased and summarized.

Ok... I'll let you know how the school uses the system...

I start on the 22nd and pick up my laptop.

Now does the transcriber have access to every program on the laptop or only the typewell program. What did the interface look like?

Now does the transcriber have access to every program on the laptop or only the typewell program. What did the interface look like?

Since I never used the wireless system I don't really know what access the transcriber has, but I can't imagine that she'd be able to access your files or anything. I think you both just open up Typewell and the laptops communicate through it.

The interface was a horizontally split screen but if I remember correctly there was a way for the student to type a question to the transcriber so that might have been what the split screen was for. Otherwise it looked basically like Word on my end. Again, this was early so it may have changed.

I'll be interested to know how your system works.

I've used it a few times when I was in community college.

Why would you want to use it? Why not an interpreter and a notetaker?

Have you asked your college what they can provide for you?

Well... the college does not provide interpretors... i don't know why.

But the notetakers is basically the TypeWell service.

I guess I'm the guinea pig... the lady is supposed to finish her training the day of classes.... pray for me lol!

I guess I'm the guinea pig... the lady is supposed to finish her training the day of classes.... pray for me lol!

/facepalm

Well, if she's able to mentally multitask like other interpreters and transcribers, you should be okay. It honestly isn't that difficult of a system and I was ready to go on my first day. Hopefully she knows how to be ethically appropriate and all that.

Can I ask, are you proficient in ASL? That is, would you benefit more from an interpreter than a transcriber? Because your school is probably required to provide an interpreter if that's your choice of provider. (I say "probably" because there are a few exceptions.) Even if they say they "don't."

I'm not proficient enough to go ASL-only in the classrooms... I normally would have to ask a lot of questions unless the interpreter uses PSE more than ASL.

I'm not proficient enough to go ASL-only in the classrooms... I normally would have to ask a lot of questions unless the interpreter uses PSE more than ASL.

Well that's cool, if you're more comfortable with Typewell. I'm fascinated to know how it goes for you.

Back