Typed communication products out there?

leo.spalteholz

Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Leo Spalteholz, I manage the software projects at a canadian assistive technology non-profit called CanAssist.

We've recently had two requests from deaf people for a device that would encourage others to communicate with them. Both of them are in a wheelchair due to disabilities (CP and stroke). One of them has been deaf since birth and can sign and read lips, the other has only been deaf for a couple years and can't sign or read lips.

They said that when they are out, most people that they don't already know don't talk to them, because those people don't know how to communicate to them (ie, the hearing people can't sign, and the lip reading doesn't always work so well). So now usually communication is by writing on a scrap of paper.

What they said they are looking for is a little device that would be mounted on their wheelchairs, with a keyboard that is angled away from them (towards someone that is talking to them). The device could have a little sign on it to explain how to use it and encourage people to start communicating.

People wanting to communicate would just type a message on the keyboard. It would show up on a little screen. Then they could either speak back, or use their AAC device to communicate back.

I'm not an expert in devices for the deaf, so does this already exist out there? A keyboard device that is meant to be used by the other person to communicate to someone who is deaf, rather than the other way around?

I was thinking that perhaps a tablet would work, running a simple app that would just show a keyboard and the last message on the screen, but I'm a little hesitant about that, since it seems like overkill. Ideally it would just be a physical keyboard and a small screen for the message (and have good battery life).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Leo

Typed Communication

The UbiDuo might be a good bet. It enables people to engage in "real time" communication via typing. You don't have to SEND. There is no lag time. You read what the person types when they are typing. It is a pretty nice device. But it might be too heavy to be practical. You can look at it at www.scomm.com.

The UbiDuo might be a good bet. It enables people to engage in "real time" communication via typing. You don't have to SEND. There is no lag time. You read what the person types when they are typing. It is a pretty nice device. But it might be too heavy to be practical. You can look at it at www.scomm.com.

Thanks Parien. I hadn't seen that device before. It would be nice if the screen swiveled, so just one device could be used (the individual would speak back, so he has no need to type).

I wonder if perhaps a device like the Kindle could be programmed to do a task like that. The one with the hardware keyboard might be well suited (nice battery life).
Edit: I've applied to the beta developer program for the Kindle. I think this could be quite a nice device with the appropriate software.

Maybe an existing netbook or tablet could be used but just with a special adjustable bracket that attaches to the wheelchair frame?

Typed Communication

In my experience, hearing people tend to resist typing on anything that is not a full, regular size keyboard. Also, many people are not good typists. Some people just "hunt and peck." So the best bet, in my opinion, is to provide people with something as "user friendly" as possible.

In my experience, hearing people tend to resist typing on anything that is not a full, regular size keyboard. Also, many people are not good typists. Some people just "hunt and peck." So the best bet, in my opinion, is to provide people with something as "user friendly" as possible.
A full-size keyboard might not be user friendly for the person in the wheelchair to tote around, unless that person also needs the large size due to fine motor skills problems.

Someone meeting a deaf person in a wheelchair on a first time or casual basis probably isn't going to type a thesis-size statement with perfect spelling and punctuation, so hunting and pecking brief comments probably won't be too much trouble.

I guess it would be good to get more input from actual deaf wheelchair users, and hearing people who are outside of the deaf community who would actually make use of the product.

BTW, how old are the hearing people you're referring to? If a person can text on a cell phone or program a GPS with a virtual or teeny-size keyboard, then a tablet-size keyboard should be no problem.

Just my opinion. :)

Typed Communication

I agree that a standard size keyboard is not important for brief, casual encounters. However, when I want to engage in an extended conversation (at work or a social gathering), I find that hearing people resist communicating on a small keyboard. With respect to ages: I find that people under 25 tend to be more comfortable with typing. Many older people, especially over 50, do not spend much time texting or using typing for communication. Many of these people never text. So they end up "hunting and pecking" on a keyboard.

I agree that a standard size keyboard is not important for brief, casual encounters. However, when I want to engage in an extended conversation (at work or a social gathering), I find that hearing people resist communicating on a small keyboard. With respect to ages: I find that people under 25 tend to be more comfortable with typing. Many older people, especially over 50, do not spend much time texting or using typing for communication. Many of these people never text. So they end up "hunting and pecking" on a keyboard.
I'm a hearing person, well over 50 years old, and I have no problem texting or using any kind of keyboard. :giggle:

However, back to the product. In that case, do you think a stylus writing system would be better? Or do you want to stay with the full-size keyboard?

Here's another thought. Maybe keep the keyboard a separate component that can be switched out according to need. That is, use the full-size component in settings where it will be needed but have the option of switching it for a smaller keypad when going out and about amongst the under-25's.

Also, include options for the font/screen sizes and brightness/contrast levels.

Maybe an existing netbook or tablet could be used but just with a special adjustable bracket that attaches to the wheelchair frame?

Yeah, like a lil' Lazy Susan on this bracket/frame, eh?

Back