Two NYC cops shot and killed in car; shooter killed self

Do you think Mayor De Blasio should resign?

• Yes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • No opinon

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
I'm not buying the revenge argument. I think he killed his girlfriend and he knew it was a matter of time before they came for him because he left evidence all over the crime scene. I blame the media for whipping those cases into a frenzy by printing whatever without confirming the facts. Anything that sells, right? I feel for the families of these young men...the mayor better not be planning a PR appearance at the funerals.

Laura

I overlooked this post .... especially the last sentence.

Because of lack of support from mayor for NYPD for the past several incidents. NYPD didn't take it well when they got criticized by Mayor. Quite frankly, I believe NYPD is a bunch of disrespectful thugs when they don't fix themselves.

it's time to change NYPD culture for good.

Why do you think the NYPD is a bunch of disrespectful thugs?

Why do you think the NYPD is a bunch of disrespectful thugs?

why are you asking me a question that I've already answered at great length? it's very apparent that you have no intention in keeping this civil. you're at it again.

*smh*

have fun cherry-picking and lying around.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/21/justice/maryland-shooting-nypd-case/index.html?hpt=hp_t2
(CNN) -- The day ended with two slain New York police officers. But it started, investigators say, when Ismaaiyl Brinsley slipped into his ex-girlfriend's apartment using a key he wasn't supposed to have.

A fight quickly erupted around 5:30 a.m. Saturday after Brinsley used that key to unlock the door of an apartment in the Baltimore suburb of Owings Mills, Maryland, New York Police Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce told reporters.

Just 20 minutes later, calls of a shot fired there came into 911.

Shaneka Nicole Thompson, a 29-year-old who'd known Brinsley for about a year and was once romantically involved with him, had been shot in the stomach with a 9mm semiautomatic handgun.

By the time police arrived, police said, Brinsley had fled -- stealing Thompson's cell phone and carrying it with him as he headed north on the highway.

Minutes later, he called her mother and apologized, telling her he'd shot Thompson "by accident and that he hopes she lives," Boyce said.

She was critically wounded, police said, but is expected to survive.

It was one of Thompson's friends, Baltimore County Police said, who alerted them Saturday afternoon to troubling Instagram posts the friend believed came from Brinsley.

"These posts included overt threats to kill police officers," police said, and they appeared to be posted in Brooklyn, New York.
It wasn't immediately clear, Boyce said, how Brinsley got the gun he used to shoot his ex-girlfriend and two police officers before turning the weapon on himself.

A man bought the handgun at a Georgia pawn shop in 1996, when Brinsley was just 9.

Detectives are working with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Boyce said, "to find out where (the gun) could have fallen into his hands."

Way ahead of you. He has a current warrant from Cobb County and Fulton County, Georgia. Theft and felony possession of a firearm.

enhanced-5770-1419118072-2.png

The man accused of killing two New York City police officers Saturday had a criminal background in Cuyahoga County from 2009 according to online court records. He also had a criminal background out of Springfield, Ohio in Clark County for a robbery charge.

Ismaaiyl Brinsley was charged in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas court for theft, aggravated theft and possessing criminal tools stemming from an arrest in North Olmsted from 2009. He pled guilty to those charges.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/12/man_who_killed_two_new_york_ci.html

I overlooked this post .... especially the last sentence.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/22/n...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news
Mayor Bill de Blasio sat in the front pew at St. Patrick’s Cathedral on Sunday, head bowed at times, with his wife on his left and the police commissioner on his right.

The crowd had come, Cardinal Timothy M. Dolan said, to mourn the two officers killed in an ambush in Brooklyn on Saturday. It had come to pray for their families and their “brothers and sisters in uniform.”

He went on.

“We pray for our leaders as well,” the cardinal said, looking toward the mayor’s row. “You’ve done what so many New Yorkers do in times of trial. You’ve come to St. Patrick’s.”

At the helm of a grieving New York, still raw from weeks of protests amid a national reckoning over law enforcement and race, Mr. de Blasio faces his biggest test yet.

The mayor, who does not attend church regularly, did not speak publicly on Sunday. His administration said he hoped to convey, in subdued terms, the need for unity in the city.

If he doesn't attend regularly, it was a PR move. Everybody knows it. Nobody is going to tell him that in Church though. Maybe the NYPD aren't the disrespectful thugs you were trying to make them out to be eh?

Here is an interesting article - and it is starting to clear things up for me somewhat:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/21/critics-say-anti-cop-rhetoric-eric-holder-bill-de-/
Meanwhile, Mr. de Blasio has found himself in a near war with his own police department over perceived anti-cop positions. Officers turned their backs on the mayor as he entered a press conference Saturday to address the murders of Mr. Ramos and Mr. Liu.

Others have criticized Mr. de Blasio for his mayoral campaign last year, which partly was centered on opposition to the New York City Police Department’s controversial stop-and-frisk program.

“Quite frankly, the mayor ran an anti-police campaign last year,” former New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said on ABC’s “This Week” Sunday.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/21/ray-kelly-bill-de-blasio_n_6362762.html

Huffpo article ^

Kelly appeared on ABC's "This Week" Sunday to discuss the killing of two NYPD officers. When asked by host George Stephanopoulos if it's fair for critics to partially blame de Blasio for the death of the two cops, Kelly said the mayor had set off a "firestorm" by raising concerns over his son's safety.

“Obviously, there's a lot of emotion involved when two police officers are killed," Kelly said. "When the mayor made statements about how they had to train his son, who is biracial, to be careful when he’s dealing with the police, I think that set off this latest firestorm."

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani also criticized de Blasio, accusing him of "allowing protests to get out of control" following a grand jury's decision to not indict police officer Daniel Pantaleo for using a fatal chokehold on Garner.

Giuliani also blamed the murder of the two officers on anti-police propaganda.

"We've had four months of propaganda, starting with the president, that everybody should hate the police," Giuliani said. "I don't care how you want to describe it -- that's what those protests are all about."

So he ran on an anti-cop rhetoric campaign last year and allowed these protests to go on unregulated.

Yeah, I'd turn my back on him too.

I hope those two Officer's families find closure and peace- it sure is a big mess - right before Christmas too.

If he doesn't attend regularly, it was a PR move. Everybody knows it. Nobody is going to tell him that in Church though. Maybe the NYPD aren't the disrespectful thugs you were trying to make them out to be eh?

De Blasio goes AWOL, avoids families of executed cops
As cops were being threatened and assaulted and the city reeled over the execution of two officers, Mayor de Blasio prayed at St. Patrick’s Cathedral Sunday — then went into hiding.

Police Commissioner Bill Bratton visited the scene of the horrific attack in Brooklyn and Gov. Cuomo paid a wrenching condolence call to the home of one of the slain cops, but de Blasio ran from reporters and was nowhere to be found after the church service.

He showed up for 10:15 a.m. Mass with his wife, Chirlane McCray, and Bratton, with all three sitting in a front-row pew as Timothy Cardinal Dolan urged prayers for the slain cops’ families, the NYPD — and the embattled mayor.

Dolan asked Bratton to tell cops that “we love them very much, we mourn with them, we need them, we respect them, we’re proud of them and we thank them.”

Reporters were then told to leave the church early for a nearby news conference with the mayor, but de Blasio — who was snubbed by scores of cops at Woodhull Hospital Saturday — scooted out after the service and ignored questions as he hopped into an SUV.

so you demand that de Blasio should show some respect by not showing up.

Shabhan Ali, a neighbor of Liu, fumed outside his Bensonhurst home Sunday about de Blasio’s no-show.

“[Liu] was a hero and was protecting the city. De Blasio should pay his regards,” he said.

Outside Ramos’ Cypress Hills home, the president of the 75th Precinct Community Council, John Rodriguez, seethed, “Come out here and show this family some respect — that’s what [de Blasio] should do.”

It was unclear Sunday if Ramos or Liu had signed forms distributed by their union last week for cops to ask that neither de Blasio nor Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito attend their funerals if they are killed in the line of duty.

A cousin of Ramos, Richard Gonzalez, said de Blasio “could come if he wants.”

“We’re not disrespectful. We’re not going to throw him out and say, ‘Don’t be here,’ ” he said. “We want to bury our cousin and our son and grieve in peace.”
and now he's being criticized by not showing up.

I am sure he is one of the bravest mayors NYC has ever had, and should be respected by those who don't respect him because he is a PR phony.

I'd still turn my back on him too .. and I don't blame the NYPD. I feel their anger is justified.

I told my brother this AM, to use his eyes to watch his back too often. I am worried about him. He has been acquired with those two people and felt awful about them. :(

The new threats

As they grieve the deaths of two of their colleagues, New York police must also deal with a spate of new threats.

The NYPD is investigating more than 15 threats to officers posted on various social media platforms and trying to determine whether any are serious or credible, a senior New York City law enforcement officer told CNN.

The department's intelligence division continues to monitor social media for threats made to the NYPD. Officials have not released details about any potentially credible threats.

But the troubling messages aren't just coming from New York.

A Memphis, Tennessee, man has been questioned after allegedly posting threats against the NYPD, CNN affiliate WREG reported.

"Good job. Kill em all I'm on the way to NY now #shootthepolice 2 more going down tomorrow," an Instagram post read.

The NYPD has already pulled all of its auxiliary officers off the streets in the wake of the killings of the two officers. Auxiliary officers are unarmed volunteer officers who help with traffic control or other minor situations.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/22/us/new-york-police-officers-killed/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

RIP officers.

If you care about your family and not go "Dukakis", then support the police officers and LE.

I'm concerned about how many people "liked" the cop-killer's posts, and possible copy-cat killers. :(

A Boston State cop just had someone point a gun at him yesterday , the gun was found but not the suspect , the cop is OK but needless to say this has the police force on edges. The families of both men that were killed by the White cops had spoken out again saying they do not want their loved one names to used to promote violent . It's very sad that people are refusing to respect the two families wishes . And people need to realize that killing of these innocent policemen have nothing to do with what happen to the past month. The shooter had a police record and just shot his g/f and I bet he decided to use the recent events as reason to killed the two NYC police .
and I wish some people would not trying to made this a political issues .

Well its the truth. Liberalism destroyed American values. Liberalism destroyed those good old days. Ever heard that theme song from All in the Family? That song tells it like it is.

Stop trying to made this a political issue you know damn we CAN'T talk about this .

Thanks for filling in the blanks. I am just wanting to know why the NYPD did what they did - and it is starting to make sense now. I don't think it is political, but it could be.

I am not as familiar with the Garner case as I should be, I don't know the details. I know an unarmed person was killed by being placed in a choke hold and that is about it. I know in situations like that, a lot of misinformation gets tossed around. That is why we have the Justice system to find all the facts.

I know it is easy to perceive a cover up if the end results do not fit our pre-conceived views of how things really should have happened. I know the incident made a lot of people upset and angry.

Still no reason to shoot a cop though. Especially, however, cops that had nothing at all to do with the Garner case. The only thing that will result is a message being sent by thugs that thuggish behavior is going to be forced on an innocent population - and cops are really your only defense from it. Especially in NYC, where the nation's strictest gun laws exist.

Anyways, those are my thoughts. It is a sad situation. I wouldn't want to be a cop in NYC right now, that's for sure. They certainly have my respect.

What are you doing if NYPD don't respect your constitutional rights to carry gun?

I hate police unions so I think all types of unions need to be go.

RIP officers.

If you care about your family and not go "Dukakis", then support the police officers and LE.

I certainly don't support Daniel Pantaleo and I certainly will not support the police with blind patriotism but I have faith in the system for betterment.

Daniel Pantaleo's supervisor on the scene was a black female sergeant. She supports Daniel Pantaleo in solidarity. He was killed for selling cigarettes. NYC needs to teach the laws and the rules to kids in schools with overworked moms and absent fathers who cannot man up.

You wouldn't understand what families of the two officers killed by a thugs are going through.

I certainly don't support Daniel Pantaleo and I certainly will not support the police with blind patriotism but I have faith in the system for betterment.

Back