Two Deaf Women Arrested In Hit and Run

RedWolf

Reaction score
Geez this is terrible!

http://www1.abqtrib.com/albq/nw_local/article/0,2564,ALBQ_19858_3983006,00.html

Two Albuquerque women have been arrested as suspects in a fiery crash that killed a family of five in southern Nevada last year, according to a Metro Court criminal complaint.

Sheila O'Connor, 42, and her friend Valerie Williams, 47, will be extradited to Clark County, Nev., once O'Connor completes court-ordered requirements for two domestic violence cases pending in Metro Court, authorities said.

Court and Motor Vehicle Department records indicate that the women, who both are deaf, have resided in New Mexico since 1992. Records show they have traffic tickets and domestic violence incidents.

A tip to Nevada Highway Patrol led troopers to O'Connor and Williams, said Trooper Loy Hixson.

They are the main suspects in the June 19, 2004, crash that claimed the lives of a man, woman and three boys ages 8, 10 and 13, Hixson said.

Both women face five counts of involuntary manslaughter, one count each of leaving the scene of an accident, and one count each of not rendering aid.

The women are suspected of hitting the car from behind as the vehicles traveled south on I-15 into California around 11 p.m., he said.

It's unclear who was driving. The crash happened just outside of Primm, Nev., about 1.5 miles north of the California state line at the southeastern tip of Nevada.

The family's car was sent spinning and, without its lights working, came to rest in the middle lane, where it was hit again by a second car, Hixson said.

The driver of the second car was seriously injured but survived, Hixson said.

The family's car caught fire. Hixson said it was not clear if the fire or the crash caused the family's death.

The vehicle that caused the crash fled, Hixson said.

"For whatever reason, they just continued on. There was enough damage that anyone would have known to at least stop," Hixson said.

Troopers had few witness statements to use in their investigation, which initially sought a semi-truck as the crash's culprit.

But the tip came in the months following the crash, leading Nevada authorities to Williams and O'Connor, Hixson said.

Through her American Sign Language interpreter in Metro Court earlier this week, O'Connor told the court she would not fight extradition to Nevada if it meant she would return with Williams.

However, Williams is set for extradition by Aug. 15, and O'Connor might not have completed her domestic violence cases by then.

O'Connor and Williams were involved in two domestic violence incidents, one in December 2004, the other in March 2005. In each case, police arrested O'Connor on charges of battery on a household member, according to criminal complaints.

Williams' 13-year-old son was listed as a victim in the December incident.

Yep, I received it in my email, with photo attachment of these two ladies!!!

WOW :shock: it even got here!

Believe it or not... they were my house-mates.... I rather not gossip about deaf peeps becuz it's not my thing.

:( This has to be a nightmare for everyone involved. This family that had been killed in this accident, these 2 girls will have this on their conscience for the rest of their lives. I hope they both will get the help they need legally and emotionally to deal with all this.

CODAchild said:
:( This has to be a nightmare for everyone involved. This family that had been killed in this accident, these 2 girls will have this on their conscience for the rest of their lives. I hope they both will get the help they need legally and emotionally to deal with all this.
They are not "girls", they are women. I don't think they have consciences because they didn't stop at the accident, and they never turned themselves in. I feel very sorry for the family that was killed and the other man that was injured. They were the innocent victims. Awful!

Reba said:
They are not "girls", they are women. I don't think they have consciences because they didn't stop at the accident, and they never turned themselves in. I feel very sorry for the family that was killed and the other man that was injured. They were the innocent victims. Awful!

Plus they didnt stop and help out who were injured at the accident.

The biggest impact on me was that I told them to move out after I got to know them more. Not my style nor a right kind of friend. They did moved out, then that deadly hit-n-run happened a month later on their vacation. It was quite a shock and I am still ... I pray for the family that got killed, the injured ones and the sons of one of the women.

Back