TVGuardian

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
I never listen about TVGuardian. Do you know about it?

TVGuardian® technology may be what we need to get CC on streaming videos.

If you're deaf like me, you want closed captioning everywhere such as TV, DVD, Blu-Ray, Cable, Satellite, Cellphones (iPhones), and most importantly on the Internet. Broadcasters and Movie Studios have done pretty well with providing closed caption on most of their shows on TV and DVDs. But as we all are aware, they are moving more and more towards online streaming and download services like NetFlix, Hulu, and more recently, Blockbusters via TiVo and thats where we are being left out with no Closed Captioning.

Well, TVGuardian® may change all that. TVGuardian® is a patented, award winning technology that automatically mutes out offensive language... while you're watching your favorite TV shows or DVDs. Here's the exciting part, this technology works by reading the Closed Captioned data transmitted from the broadcasting station or video source such as DVD.

The FCC wants comments from the public on whether tools such as TVGuardian should be required in a wide spectrum of video products, such as: TVs, DVD Players, Blu-Ray players, cable, satellite, computers, the Internet, cell phones, iPods/Mobile Video Players, Gaming Consoles (Xbox/PS3/Wii), DTV converter boxes, and DVRs.

Yeah, TVGuardian® is designed to allow you to choose whether or not you want your kids to hear or read the 1034 "F" words in the movie Departed, thats neat. But if we want Closed Captioning to be made law on all video products then we better voice our support by clicking
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-09-14A1.pdf

This is where you can read the full FCC Notice of Inquiry.
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-09-14A1.pdf

Life is Complicated: TVGuardian: A possible key to broaden closed captioning requirements.

TVGuardian

My grandparents have it since they're very religious and tend to get offended by any swear word. It's hooked up to their television and it blanks out any bad word that's mentioned on television. I think there's an option where the bad word is replaced with a different word like... SHIT = SHOOT, DAMN = DARN, HELL = HECK, etc.

I've seen it used with captioning, but it does get messed up when the television's CC is on while the TVGuardian's CC is on at the same time. They will overlap and the timing isn't precise. So, some bad words will flicker or appear at the wrong time.

I guess it's best used by itself and not with the television's CC. However, that's only if the show has a CC layer included. If there's something that doesn't have a CC layer included, then the TVGuardian won't bring it up.

So, what exactly is it you're asking?

Are you asking if it works better than television CC? I would say that it's probably the same as television CC. It only gives you an option of turning on and off profanity.

Are you or someone else in your family easily offended by profanity?

I remember watching Disney movies as a kid at my friend's house. They had the TVGuardian and when we were that young, we didn't understand why in Toy Story, it would always change Woody's name to Tommy. :lol:

I remember watching Disney movies as a kid at my friend's house. They had the TVGuardian and when we were that young, we didn't understand why in Toy Story, it would always change Woody's name to Tommy. :lol:
Seriously!?

I never knew that! Wow... that sucks! Even a Disney movie is bleeped out? Gee!

Seriously! It wasn't until many years later when I finally understood why it thought 'Woody' was a "bad" word. :lol:

Seriously! It wasn't until many years later when I finally understood why it thought 'Woody' was a "bad" word. :lol:
Heh!

There was actually a comic strip in a magazine with a funny reference to Toy Story. It was a picture of two boys who had recently gotten action figures from Toy Story.

The boy on the left held up his Woody doll and said, "HEY! I GOT A WOODY!"

The boy on the right held up his Buzz Lightyear doll and said, "HEY, I GOT A BUZZ!"

Anyways, I would rather see everything that's being said. Censoring it or bleeping it out kinda ruins it for me. :(

Back