TV Tuners Compatible w/Ubuntu & Display CC

scifigal777

Reaction score
Does anyone here use Ubuntu 8.04?

If so, would you know what tv tuners are compatible with Ubuntu, but yet have closed caption support? It would have to be a hybrid or digital tuner, maybe usb.

Thanks in advance.

kshsj777

Hi yes I have ubuntu 8.04 but my system board went bad. I read about tuner. I suggest u try Ubuntu forum. They're big help. Also google search under "tv tuner compatibilty ubuntu", "tv tuner compatibility linux". There are list that tells u which works with linux well. Few tuners works out of box while some require drivers to be installed.

I have not used _Ubuntu for 4 months now. I missed Ubuntu already!

Catty

I already tried ubuntuforums but I haven't got an answer to my post. I'd figured a site for HOH/deaf people would know/care more about it then they would.

Thanks for the response!

Mod's Note:

Thread's moved to proper location.

Hi yes I have ubuntu 8.04 but my system board went bad. I read about tuner. I suggest u try Ubuntu forum. They're big help. Also google search under "tv tuner compatibilty ubuntu", "tv tuner compatibility linux". There are list that tells u which works with linux well. Few tuners works out of box while some require drivers to be installed.

I have not used _Ubuntu for 4 months now. I missed Ubuntu already!

Catty

Return to Windows? Don't forgot to send a thank note to MS.

Return to Windows? Don't forgot to send a thank note to MS.

M$ sucks and Billy don't get thankyou from me. :lol:

My 800mhz system got hit by trojans and I had to download trojan remover then ran it to eradicate it. Then ran Hijack it to kill annoying pop up window in browser that asking me to download M$ malware remover which are a trick to get infected again. I was smart enuf to know that. I fixed it and told my kids that their system was slammed by trojan and I fought a battle and won. They asked me what's Trojan? *sigh!*

:lol:

Catty
Catty

My 800mhz system got hit by trojans and I had to download trojan remover then ran it to eradicate it. Then ran Hijack it to kill annoying pop up window in browser that asking me to download M$ malware remover which are a trick to get infected again. I was smart enuf to know that. I fixed it and told my kids that their system was slammed by trojan and I fought a battle and won. They asked me what's Trojan? *sigh!*

Catty
Catty

Don't want to explain to them about condom brand? It's good idea for safe sex. I learned it when I was 10. I think.

Catty
Catty

XP is infamous of security holes, I got viruses, worms and trojans when I use Safari, I think Safari is great security but not really, FF3 is best one but hard to read in XP version. I had re-installed XP at few time on my new PC then happened again then decided switch to Vista and retired from XP.

I use FF3 as default browser, it's great and easier to read in Vista version, also save alot of memory.

XP is infamous of security holes, I got viruses, worms and trojans when I use Safari, I think Safari is great security but not really, FF3 is best one but hard to read in XP version. I had re-installed XP at few time on my new PC then happened again then decided switch to Vista and retired from XP.

I use FF3 as default browser, it's great and easier to read in Vista version, also save alot of memory.

XP=Cheddar Cheese , Vista=CIA bodyguard

:rofl:

Catty

Back to topic: I know that the Hauppauge WinTV tuner cards work with Linux. As far as captioning goes, it's more a question of the application; there is a library for reading the vertical blanking interval that gives access to the Line 21 data.

xawtv doesn't display captioning, as far as I know. tvtime does, BUT it displays captions as white Courier with drop shadow and transparent background, contrary to EIA 608 and very hard to read in many cases. (It also seems to have a really hard time keeping up.

The program that seems to do best with CC is one called zapping.

That all said--that's all NTSC stuff. I have no idea what to tell you about ATSC (digital TV); I don't know whether any Open Source Linux software exists that will decode and display EIA-708 captions.

Back to topic: I know that the Hauppauge WinTV tuner cards work with Linux. As far as captioning goes, it's more a question of the application; there is a library for reading the vertical blanking interval that gives access to the Line 21 data.

xawtv doesn't display captioning, as far as I know. tvtime does, BUT it displays captions as white Courier with drop shadow and transparent background, contrary to EIA 608 and very hard to read in many cases. (It also seems to have a really hard time keeping up.

The program that seems to do best with CC is one called zapping.

That all said--that's all NTSC stuff. I have no idea what to tell you about ATSC (digital TV); I don't know whether any Open Source Linux software exists that will decode and display EIA-708 captions.

Ummh interesting. Wish there are Linux programmer for TV would fix those plm. Be nice if they are aware of this problems w/ CC.

Catty

Back