Tty

JennyB

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a progressive hearing loss and it has recenty progressed to a profound loss. I can't use a phone anymore and I am wondering about a TTY or similar device. I have a blackberry which has been a life saver in the past weeks but I really need to be able to have a phone conversation with some people for work and such. I know I have coverage for a TTY, but I have some questions.

I know these are basic questions and I apologize for my limited knowledge base.

How does a TTY work with my phone company (I am with rogers) do I need to do anything special?

What is the process of making a call, or recieving a call with a TTY?

I can speak, can I still speak and just have what the other person is saying show up in text?

Anything else that you think I need to know would be great!

Thanks,

Jenny

Hey everyone,

I have a progressive hearing loss and it has recenty progressed to a profound loss. I can't use a phone anymore and I am wondering about a TTY or similar device. I have a blackberry which has been a life saver in the past weeks but I really need to be able to have a phone conversation with some people for work and such. I know I have coverage for a TTY, but I have some questions.

How does a TTY work with my phone company (I am with rogers) do I need to do anything special?

I can speak, can I still speak and just have what the other person is saying show up in text?

Thanks,

Jenny

TTY or TDD can only be used if both is on each end of the phone line. If needed, you can use the relay which allows you to use th TDD to call anyone that doesn't have a TDD.

It consists of using your TDD to call relay and you give them a number you want to call and they will call and speak for you. They will say what you type and then type back to you what other person is saying..

You can also do that online. I use the internet to call whoever I need to using online relay..

to name a few

iprelay.com: Your Source on the Net - VoIP
www.!711.com

Hope this helps.

Travis

Jenny, try to contact CAD, Canada Association of the Deaf or CCSD, Canadian Cultural Society of the Deaf. to see if they can help you. good luck !

if u want to know about CapTel, you can check on its website - CapTel - The Captioned Telephone

JennyB said:
Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Jenny

Hey Jenny... might want to check out Deaf Device Store at CHS. Hope that helps...

I don't use TTY anymore. Is there other way contact 911 than TTY? Or I should leave TTY plugged in for emegrency only?

BartSimpsx24x said:
I don't use TTY anymore. Is there other way contact 911 than TTY? Or I should leave TTY plugged in for emegrency only?

I hardly use tty nowadays too. Still serve it purpose but it seemed had shown its age doesn't it?
:twisted:

*sees dust piles up*

I call out thru BRS once in a while as there aren't other way to call 911 y'know? Despite paying the phone fees just in case of emergency, you know how the saying goes, "it pays to stay alive!"
:pissed:

Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Jenny

Yes, you usually can make voice carry over calls when relaying tty -> voice, I can't quite understand why someone would attempt it for tty -> tty calls. :giggle:

In the case of dialing another tty.. dial it. In order to make a relay, or tty -> voice call, you dial 711 or your local direct relay line, and provide the operator the number you want to dial (in the case of VCO, the callback number)

WOW I did not know this WebCapTel is free! My brother used this once for business phone interview with IBM boss in Chicago few years ago and they paid for it. This is awesome to know about this free service.

kshsj777 - about WebCapTel on blackberry... Sprint site said "You can use any phone to hear and speak to anyone through WebCapTel. However, to read captions of your call, WebCapTel is currently designed only to be used on computers with fully compatible web browsers. Sprint is working on adapting the captions for WebCapTel onto wireless phone screen sizes and browsers."

Yes, I saw that, but I was wondering if that only applied to regular cell phones, since Blackberries are able to do IP relay and some other stuff that computers can do. I mean, it's just a web page, so how is it different to use than on a Blackberry? I don't have one by the way, but if there was a way to do webcaptel on one, I might try to get one.

Canada is too smart than you because they care about deaf to stay on TTY and allow to call "911".

Yes, I saw that, but I was wondering if that only applied to regular cell phones, since Blackberries are able to do IP relay and some other stuff that computers can do. I mean, it's just a web page, so how is it different to use than on a Blackberry? I don't have one by the way, but if there was a way to do webcaptel on one, I might try to get one.

Does your phone support HSDPA? If so, you can talk in the phone (with your headset) and surf the Internet at the same time.

My PPC-6700 Windows Mobile phone can't do that with EvDO through Alltel.

Does your phone support HSDPA? If so, you can talk in the phone (with your headset) and surf the Internet at the same time.

My PPC-6700 Windows Mobile phone can't do that with EvDO through Alltel.

No, BB don't have HSDPA support until July 2008 when bold come out.

Canada is too smart than you because they care about deaf to stay on TTY and allow to call "911".
I have, however, jerryrigged a Bell Canada Relay IP-Relay system that I use on my BlackBerry. MiniTTY

No, it's not available for download. I would need to raise capital to make it available to the general public...

WebCapTel is pretty cool. I'd like to see it officially come to Canada one day.

Back