tty vs captel phone

superdeaf57

Reaction score
which is the best you can use phone captel or tty which is better for you? thanks

:confused: :confused: :confused:

TTY? What's that?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

No, seriously, I have a TTY at home in a box. I have a CapTel phone that I use on my desk. There's your answer for ya.

Keep in mind, though, CapTel phones are only for people who can use their voice. That doesn't apply to everyone on alldeaf.

To me, I'd say CapTel, since if you have a landline phone service, you don't have to have a second line for VCO. It's much easier to dial a phone number with a CapTel phone as this will connect to a relay service automatically (which the relay operator will start to do listening) and dial the phone number you're calling. When the person answering phone says "Hello," the speech-to-text does the recognition but not always perfect. But with 2-Line VCO--well it's tough to explain this but I can tell you that you have to dial the relay, tell your relay opr to dial your voice phone number, and dial the voice number you want to call. However I could be wrong.

captel and VP are my main source of phone usage. this helps me maintain my needs for the communication. I rarely use the tty and when i do is on the road when theres a break down in my car and or if i need to get a hold of someone and i'm out of range in my cell service, then i can use that other than that i do not use tty mostly:)

I am all for Captel! Although State of Washington does not provide Captel service. I had one in Oregon for 6 years, I loved it. I can speak and lip read and hear some sounds.

CapTel Misunderstandings

which is the best you can use phone captel or tty
A CapTel can do everything a TTY can do, except type. You can even put your CapTel in VCO mode, to talk with an HCO user. If you want to call a TTY or VCO user, you can either use CapTel or the relay service. The TTY user's words will appear on your CapTel screen.
When the person answering phone says "Hello," the speech-to-text does the recognition but not always perfect.
GraysonPeddie, I have never seen a CapTel Captioner mess up "Hello". The CapTel is not voice recognition. When you call a Hearing person, with your CapTel, you are automatically connected to the captioning service, and you can speak for yourself and hear everything the Hearing person says. If you cannot hear what the Hearing person says, you can also read the captions. A CapTel Captioner revoices everything the Hearing person says into a computer using FastTran voice recognition software. The CapTel Captioner also has a keyboard, to type things the computer does not understand, such as places and names. The reason I have never seen "Hello" messed up is because the computer easily understands it. The computer does not easily understand words that sound similar, such as "riding" and "writing", so that's why it messes up sometimes.

If you have a version of the phone that has a USB port on the back, you can plug the phone into the computer. When you make a call, the captions are shown on the screen of the computer, and when you want to print them, you print from the computer.

But you have to have the conversation with the USB connected and the program on the computer running -- you can't make a call, go "oops! Forgot to connect the USB" and then print out the conversation.

Most CapTel phones don't have USB. It's a recently upgrade that costs extra to get when you order a CapTel phone.

What I wish for... new device that actual does the voice-to-text and text-to-voice without need relay service to keep yourself private without have govt waste money to help to use special service.

What I wish for... new device that actual does the voice-to-text and text-to-voice without need relay service to keep yourself private without have govt waste money to help to use special service.

Hmm...not such a bad idea..

If you have a version of the phone that has a USB port on the back, you can plug the phone into the computer. When you make a call, the captions are shown on the screen of the computer, and when you want to print them, you print from the computer.

But you have to have the conversation with the USB connected and the program on the computer running -- you can't make a call, go "oops! Forgot to connect the USB" and then print out the conversation.

Most CapTel phones don't have USB. It's a recently upgrade that costs extra to get when you order a CapTel phone.

This is a little off topic but I am wondering that if one is having a telephone conversation printed, does one legally need to announce that they are copying/printing, etc the conversation?

This is a little off topic but I am wondering that if one is having a telephone conversation printed, does one legally need to announce that they are copying/printing, etc the conversation?

I don't think so, unlike making an audio recording, you don't have to tell the person if you're writing everything down, Imagine if a hearing person wrote everything the other person said ver batum while they were on the phone, no laws against that.

I don't think so, unlike making an audio recording, you don't have to tell the person if you're writing everything down, Imagine if a hearing person wrote everything the other person said ver batum while they were on the phone, no laws against that.

Except in the case example you just mentioned, they'd be taping the convo. Don't you ever get calls wherein the operator prefaces it by saying that the conversation may be recorded for quality assurance purposes? I have, many times; therefore my "legal" question.

Keep in mind, though, CapTel phones are only for people who can use their voice. That doesn't apply to everyone on alldeaf.
There's a way to use CapTel if you use computer voice. You type, the computer speaks into the telephone for you. There are plenty of software that does this.

You'll also need a RadioShack adaptor to attach your computer's sound output to a telephone handset jack.

It is also CapTel compatible because you can unplug the CapTel handset from the CapTel base unit, and then plug the computer using the RadioShack adaptor into the CapTel handset jack. Download some freeware text-to-voice dictation software, and presto. It helps if you hit Enter after every phrase, so that the computer dictation software can read out phrases while you type the next phrase. Like "Hello<enter>This is Mark<enter>calling for you<enter>to see what is up<enter>" .... So the computer is reading out your previous phrase while you type the next phrase.

It is superior to slow-typing relay services, but not as good as the fastest relay operators. Then again, some people prefer to hear a computer voice than a relay operator's voice!

There's a way to use CapTel if you use computer voice. You type, the computer speaks into the telephone for you. There are plenty of software that does this.

You'll also need a RadioShack adaptor to attach your computer's sound output to a telephone handset jack.

It is also CapTel compatible because you can unplug the CapTel handset from the CapTel base unit, and then plug the computer using the RadioShack adaptor into the CapTel handset jack. Download some freeware text-to-voice dictation software, and presto. It helps if you hit Enter after every phrase, so that the computer dictation software can read out phrases while you type the next phrase. Like "Hello<enter>This is Mark<enter>calling for you<enter>to see what is up<enter>" .... So the computer is reading out your previous phrase while you type the next phrase.

It is superior to slow-typing relay services, but not as good as the fastest relay operators. Then again, some people prefer to hear a computer voice than a relay operator's voice!

That's funny, Mark and also perturbing; why would one want a CapTel because one cannot legibly speak but have the computer do it?

That's funny, Mark and also perturbing; why would one want a CapTel because one cannot legibly speak but have the computer do it?
One good reason: Faster conversations.

CapTel goes 180 words per minute captioning,
Relay goes only 60 words per minute captioning (usually).

However, I'm in Canada and can't use CapTel. But I know a friend who uses CapTel exactly like this! But he knows not everyone likes computer voice, so he uses relay sometimes!

Back