TTY usage

wolvie

Reaction score
Hi I'm a hearie. I have two in one questions. Do TTY numbers/machines have answering machines, and can the caller leave a message through the relay operator. Can I do this through one of the internet relays like i711.com

Thanks.

Yes, it is possible to set up a TTY answering machine, and it is possible to leave a message through relay service, just remember to speak more slowly when the operator ques the message. And no, it is not possible to leave a message through internet relay since it is through a computer.

You can't leave message though i711. IP-relay, as if you have correct phone number it is possible to leave message on the account holder AIM. But not always realiable.
Sorenson and other VP do have message though e mail for example Signmail. I get it sometimes.

TTY machine itself, some have answering machine capablities. However these days, TTY is dying breed!

Other good way to leave message is though AIM, E-mails, etc. Most of us deafies depend on AIM and e mail for communication more than TTY!

wolvie said:
Hi I'm a hearie. I have two in one questions. Do TTY numbers/machines have answering machines, and can the caller leave a message through the relay operator. Can I do this through one of the internet relays like i711.com

Thanks.

Thank you. Unfortunately I only the TTY number, but it is good to know. Again thanks for the help.

Yes agreed...TTYs are already buried and put RIP cross on them! :giggle:

Pomeranian said:
I am with DHB. Saying Bye bye to TTY. Hello aim, email and vp. :wave:

There are some people out there who cannot afford to own a computer and pay internet every month so they still use TTY.

ButterflyGirl said:
There are some people out there who cannot afford to own a computer and pay internet every month so they still use TTY.

True for some deaf people especially to own a computer. But to realize that you have to pay the telephone service usually ranges from $25-40 per month while use the TDD. It's about the same amount as you pay for the Internet.

Only you need to own a computer .. pay for one or rent to own (high interest- I wouldn't). While pc offers gigantic opporunities online than TDD could, however.

Can find a cheaper used computer to buy .. can find these around 300's for a new and affordable pc nowadays .. quite less for good used computers you can find thru eBay or other store online .. think of it as one-time fee just like these sidekicks.

On my part, I stopped using TDD about 2 years ago and closed our telephone account and save me about $480 a year! We only received crap calls by telemarketing (geez)(even after registered my ph# on Federeal Do-Not-Call) and rarely call anyone using TDD. Now our 2 TDDs (1 new and barely used) are relic already. Plan to sell the new one on eBay. It's just so blessed to use pc and sidekick2.

Hope some of these low-earning deaf people could find a way someday soon, somehow. They have to be little more creative how to earn bit more and buy a pc .. say paint for someone or littel extra cash job then buy a pc. They will realize how much difference and advantages to have a pc that it offers .. sure many already knew that by now.

Like I said it saves me $480 a year disconnecting telephone and stop using TDD .. that money can cover you a new and affordable pc!

Even a new sidekick2 can do them good instead of having to own a pc and still can use relay service to call anybody, anywhere without a charge .. and that it has web, email, aim, and more that costs $30 monthly while telephone service costing you the same for much less features but to call or receive via TDD! And it costs you quite less than that telephone bills (yr) to get a new sk2. See the difference in general, hmm.

Questions related to the Webcam

Hello,

I have some questions related to the Webcam that leaves me some wondering. I find it very cool and wonderful modern technology that is so easy to use. However, do I get a phone bill to be billed in for using the Webcam? If there is no need to have a telephone, then, how would both the tty and internet to be hooked up without any telephone or telephone line(s)? Will there be outbound calls coming in while having the Webcam? If so, how does this work to know if there are any incoming calls to answer? I was told that I would need a tty machine anyway for the outbound calls that are not able to go through the internet.

Your response will be greatly appreciated with your time and patience. Thank you very much.

C. Ellison

Hello Wolvie,

The program called Nextalk is a Internet TTY program, you can call the TTY directly from your computer on high speed connection, the dail-up really slow sometime it's server hangs up on you or "broken pipe".. I recommend use high speed internet can use a Internet TTY program. I use internet TTY program on my WIndows 95 tower (old and still run fine), my lappy is just linux, can't download the internet TTY program into my linux box..

Nextalk only on Windows system, 9x, NT, W2K and XP. A internet TTY program can call anywhere in the USA only totally FREE long distance!

PowerWCRulez said:
Hello Wolvie,

The program called Nextalk is a Internet TTY program, you can call the TTY directly from your computer on high speed connection, the dail-up really slow sometime it's server hangs up on you or "broken pipe".. I recommend use high speed internet can use a Internet TTY program. I use internet TTY program on my WIndows 95 tower (old and still run fine), my lappy is just linux, can't download the internet TTY program into my linux box..

Nextalk only on Windows system, 9x, NT, W2K and XP. A internet TTY program can call anywhere in the USA only totally FREE long distance!

So what program is compatible for the Mac to make Internet calls both to TTY's and to regular land line phones?

Diehard
Don't know who your friends are But LMM & her friends still use their TTD's often. Yes LMM has V/P TTD and also use internet relay svc. Depends on who she is calling. Or who is calling her.

LMM

Tousi said:
So what program is compatible for the Mac to make Internet calls both to TTY's and to regular land line phones?

They don't have a Mac programs.. sorry :(.

I am dead deaf guy and most of my friends don't use TTY anymore. All of them got Internet, SK/mobile, VP. Because of this... whats point of having TTY and paying phone company monthly for phone to collect dust? I have not had phone service for over a year and NOT even one problem! Even hearing people can call me... They would call me though VRS if they know how, otherwise call my vocemail on my SK.

LMM said:
Diehard
Don't know who your friends are But LMM & her friends still use their TTD's often. Yes LMM has V/P TTD and also use internet relay svc. Depends on who she is calling. Or who is calling her.

LMM

diehardbiker65 said:
I am dead deaf guy and most of my friends don't use TTY anymore. All of them got Internet, SK/mobile, VP. Because of this... whats point of having TTY and paying phone company monthly for phone to collect dust? I have not had phone service for over a year and NOT even one problem! Even hearing people can call me... They would call me though VRS if they know how, otherwise call my vocemail on my SK.

The only reason is emergency 911 service.

I understand and I do have soft dial tone even though I don't have service from phone company. What is "Soft dial tone"? Okay some locals prohibits phone company from completely cut off phone service. They are required to allow such emergency calls like 911 to be dial out. No incoming calls, nor any other calls. So I am fine with it.
Check your area, I thought it was applied to every area in the united states, but discovered that I was wrong. So, better check out. :)
Other way to solve problem is using SK or any cell phone, more and more areas got Cell phone tracing system for 911 so you just press 911 and not even say a word, cops will be there within 5 minutes.
Other option is Onstar service provided by GM, if you got GM vehicles with Onstar service, just press emergency button and cops will be there within 3 minutes. Happened to my co worker who accidently pressed that button and tried to disconnect it... can't hear or say anything... 3 minutes cops is all over him! He was like whoa!!! Everything is fine.

So there is many ways to get emergency help so landline phone is just one way... :)

dkf747 said:
The only reason is emergency 911 service.

Another good reason why TTY will become obsolete... Would you be willing to shell out 300 dollars for basic TTY machine, while you can get Sidekick for 199 bux or whatever, and have the freedom going anywhere? Why shell out 300 dollars for stand alone TTY machine where you could buy 600 dollars basic PC that do ALOT more than just TTY! So again, why bother TTY?

The TTY users are now shrinking at much faster pace. I would doubt there will be any TTY users left available within 10 years from now.

I don't want to give you bad impression on TTY. In fact, TTY itself has started revolution with communication between deafies and hearies. If had not for TTY we might still be way behind with technology. So, I gave two thumbs for TTY invention! Time has come, nothing lasts forever. I wouldn't be surprise there will be end for VRS, but when, I dunno?

Back