tty products

dmarenz

Reaction score
Hey. I'm not new to alldeaf, but it's been almost two years since I last posted.

Anyway, I was wondering if you guys know what's the best tty or ttd phones? I'd like to use the one with typing and a phone attached to it. My friend Danny has had these types for years now. I'm just sick and tired of asking my mother to call the pizza place without her coping an attitude.

Also, what's a relay service? I heard it's the person speaking for you on the other line, but I just find that odd for some reason. You know, reputations and rude comments.

If I could get a reply, it would be greatly appreciated.

Since you use the computer, and since you only mention wanting to call pizza places and the like, an internet relay service would be best for you.

Relay services are a no-charge service that allows you to have someone speak and listen for you (like your mom does, only these people aren't related to you and are professional, they get paid to do this all day long so they don't get upset at you because it's their job).

My preferred relay service is the www.sprintip.com service. It's called "Sprint IP Relay." It's run by the telephone company Sprint (you know, that cell phone company) and it's a 24 hour service that lets me, a deaf person, call any hearing person anywhere in the U.S. for free. There are no signups and I never have to give my personal information to anyone except when I order pizza I tell the pizza place where I live and stuff, and it's 100% confidential.

Click here for a tty on computer (nextalk) that you can use either to call other tty or can also use relay. It is free.

dmarenz said:
Also, what's a relay service? I heard it's the person speaking for you on the other line, but I just find that odd for some reason. You know, reputations and rude comment.

If I could get a reply, it would be greatly appreciated.

it is not rude comment or bad reputation. it is just very low percent of that.

try yourself on relay service to call your mom to see how it works. it is not hard to try that.

mostly i use www.sprintrelayonline.com at my work for my professionals. i am satisfied with that service.

Dennis said:
Since you use the computer, and since you only mention wanting to call pizza places and the like, an internet relay service would be best for you.

Relay services are a no-charge service that allows you to have someone speak and listen for you (like your mom does, only these people aren't related to you and are professional, they get paid to do this all day long so they don't get upset at you because it's their job).

My preferred relay service is the www.sprintip.com service. It's called "Sprint IP Relay." It's run by the telephone company Sprint (you know, that cell phone company) and it's a 24 hour service that lets me, a deaf person, call any hearing person anywhere in the U.S. for free. There are no signups and I never have to give my personal information to anyone except when I order pizza I tell the pizza place where I live and stuff, and it's 100% confidential.

:lol:Somehow I feel that was boldened for me to see.

apathrev said:
:lol:Somehow I feel that was boldened for me to see.

Yeah, I bolded it because I specifically knew you'd be one of those relay operators who doesn't fit the profile I outlined.... after all, you're dmarenz's inbred redneck kissing cousin, right? ;)

What the fuck are you talking about?

A trashman or janitor get paid to do their job. So do they not complain because its their job?

apathrev said:
What the fuck are you talking about?

A trashman or janitor get paid to do their job. So do they not complain because its their job?

Whoa, dude, no, I was just joshing you. The bolded remarks WERE NOT targeted at you, and apologies if anything I said seemed like I was being offensive towards you.

The two parts above that were bolded were not targeted to you, only to relay agents in general. I figured that you felt the 2nd bolded comment applied to you, so I thought I would make a clear joke that no, I meant the first part applied to you while the second comment wasn't. Sorry I didn't make the comment as clear as I could have.

In any case, dmarenz's concerns seem to be more that his mom gets huffy whenever he asks her to call for him, and I'm of the perspective that since the relay agents get paid to do this as part of their job, they're not going to "cop an attitude" like his mom does when he wants to make a telephone call. Relay will do their job, unlike his mom who could decide she doesn't want to cooperate at any moment.

Dennis said:
Whoa, dude, no, I was just joshing you. The bolded remarks WERE NOT targeted at you, and apologies if anything I said seemed like I was being offensive towards you.

Well, its easy for me to think that seeing that I am likely the only RO who would see this.

The two parts above that were bolded were not targeted to you, only to relay agents in general. I figured that you felt the 2nd bolded comment applied to you, so I thought I would make a clear joke that no, I meant the first part applied to you while the second comment wasn't. Sorry I didn't make the comment as clear as I could have.

Oddly enough a friend of me was just complaining about how he hates that its impossible to detect sarcasm and jokes when communicating over the internet, and I retorted "well try attempting to convery emotion from deaf people typing to you all day in broken English."

In any case, dmarenz's concerns seem to be more that his mom gets huffy whenever he asks her to call for him, and I'm of the perspective that since the relay agents get paid to do this as part of their job, they're not going to "cop an attitude" like his mom does when he wants to make a telephone call. Relay will do their job, unlike his mom who could decide she doesn't want to cooperate at any moment.

One reason I probably took this the wrong way is because people who are not RO's honestly seem to think its the easiest job in the world. A new training class started today, and I was talking with several of the trainees today during my lunch, and they were all excited about this job because they thought it was going to be so easy. I referred them to ask anybody who had been working there for more than just a few weeks, and they'll correct them. It seems people are to quick to forget not only deaf people use relay. Also, policies are getting more and more strict. It is now easier to be fired for attendance than ever before. Several incentives that I used to look forward to indulging in have been taken away.

Hi, i'm new here. I am another RO here and yes it's a hard job. There are a lot of young students where I work who need to be there because of working around class schedules. Then there are people who are making their living, and then there are people like me who have been involved with the deaf community in other ways and understand the frustrations of the callers better, and why the confidentiality is so important, etc. IP relay is free, so try to imagine how much fraud there might be coming in from other countries.... Sometimes I feel it should not be free, and RO's would feel they were serving the deaf community, and not thieves all day. Anyway just wanted to say I agree with you.

Back