tty & mobile devices

jdelzingaro

Reaction score
Im trying to find out how to get assistance in getting a TTY or if there is a mobile unit available compatible with cellular phones.

Most new cell phones have TTY. Just check its settings to see if it has TTY before buying. I just got a new cell phone with Sprint that has TTY.

Most new cell phones have TTY. Just check its settings to see if it has TTY before buying. I just got a new cell phone with Sprint that has TTY.

:lol: And how do you think you use the setting????

Mind sharing info regarding the brand and model? Does it require a voice plan for that since I think TTY calls are available via phone lines (either wired or wireless), not internet?

For more detail please see this thread http://www.alldeaf.com/deaf-products-technologies/75539-best-portable-tty-2.html

It has been around awhile but it looks to me like all the information in it is still applicable.

When using the TTY connected to a phone you are making a form of voice phone call and with a cell phone would need voice minutes in your plan.

Here is a repost of the last post that I made in that thread:

I used one by Krown called the PocketComm that is no longer manufactured. They do still have desktop size (about the size of the larger laptops) that can be ordered with a connection for a cell phone as an extra cost option. If buying both sizes at your own expense this might be worth it to be able to use with you cell phone at times.

They evidently had too many problems with durability with the PocketComm and I think part of it may well have been a matter of was it designed by a man who would wear it clipped to his belt and he forgot how many more bumps etc. one in a women's purse is subject to?

When in good shape, it worked very well with the state relay service that you access by dialing 711. There is a very small cord that connects between the TTY and the cell phone earphone port. I would use it with a dumbphone and request VCO. The PocketComm had a mic included in it and you spoke into that rather than the one on the phone.

I have since found Wireless CapTel by Sprint and use it with a smartphone with the Android OS of 2.2 or higher. What use I have made of this has turned out well. But . . . it is a matter of you speaking for your end of the conversation.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

TTY mode on cell phones does not turn the cell into a TTY. It simply makes it possible for a portable TTY to be plugged into the headphone jack so the TTY can use direct connect mode. And use the cell's carrier (voice) signal for the call.

TTY mode on cell phones does not turn the cell into a TTY. It simply makes it possible for a portable TTY to be plugged into the headphone jack so the TTY can use direct connect mode. And use the cell's carrier (voice) signal for the call.

It would have been so much more fun if the hearie poseur had come back and tried to answer....

Bottesini said:
Anij said:

It would have been so much more fun if the hearie poseur had come back and tried to answer....

Maybe they'll still post and "correct" me, because you know it SAYS that it's TTY mode & that must mean it has a TTY in the phone ;)

Last edited:
Back