TTY and VoIP

kerryc

Reaction score
Hi...Does anyone have any information on using a TTY with a VoIP phone/network? The person I am trying to contact has a VoIP phone/network and they say my messages are garbled. Any advice out there?

really you are problem on garbled with message?? i help you can supportive?

A couple of years ago, I've used my TTY with Vonage and I get no garbled text. Easy thing to do is set your VoIP device between your router/computer and cable/DSL modem, but only if a device has a LAN port for that to work.

Here's what I mean:

[Internet] <--> [Cable/DSL modem] LAN <--> WAN [VoIP Device] LAN <--> WAN [Router (if you have one] LAN <--> WAN [Computer]

If you have a VoIP device behind your router, be sure you set your Quality of Service (QoS) to High for either an Ethernet port or a MAC address (12 character hexidecimal from 0 to 9 and A to F). Please refer to the manual for your router.

Other than what I've mentioned about having VoIP device behind your router, just have the VoIP device between your router and cable/DSL modem. But remember to refer to the manual that came with the device.

It would be easier to use Nextalk and get your own phone number with them and they can do tty or fax or text / video relay service.

Anyone can call to your tty on Nextalk too .. no need to have land line anymore.

I just registered and got my own 10 digit phone number and I like Nextalk feature very much so far but I am still learning process.

Yep, and best of all, it is free!

Why pay for additional phone line where you can actually get for free?

It would be easier to use Nextalk and get your own phone number with them and they can do tty or fax or text / video relay service.

Anyone can call to your tty on Nextalk too .. no need to have land line anymore.

I just registered and got my own 10 digit phone number and I like Nextalk feature very much so far but I am still learning process.

[Internet] <--> [Cable/DSL modem] LAN <--> WAN [VoIP Device] LAN <--> WAN [Router (if you have one] LAN <--> WAN [Computer]

How can I use the VoIP device to contact the relay operator if they're still on the PSTN, an analog phone network? Can we go via a local VoIP gateway or something as workaround?

Back