TTY and Cellphones

Breezy

Reaction score
Hey ppl!!

Before i begin i appologize for not posting much lately - i havent really been around!!!

Ok now to my problem. I have telus mobility cell phone. hearing on it is a hassle, and trying to use my hearing aids while on phone mode doesn't work coz all i get is this bell-tone that it sucks.

I found a feature in "initial setup" on my phone that says "TTY" so i selected it to on, b/c it was initially set to "voice". Under the TTY. Under TTY was also, UCO and HCO. I was wondering if any of you had any idea what those last 2 options were. I've searched the Telus Mobility site with no luck.

As well, i was wondering if anyone else uses the TTY option on their cell phones and if it actually works. THANX!!!!!

Ok i just realized i totally posted this in the wrong thread and i'm sorry!!!!!!

I have wondered about this. My mom has a cell phone, and I saw this option. I just have no idea what it is. If I choose this option, does that mean that it only receives TTY calls? I have questions, too. Interesting, but I think this should be in the Deaf Technology or something forum a bit further down.

Voice = For receiving/placing voice calls
TTY = Teletypewriter; for receiving/placing TTY calls -- translates text to tones and sends the tones over the network for over TTY machine to receive tones and translates it to text.
VCO = Voice Carry Over = speak into the microphone and receive text via TTY
HCO = Hearing Carry Over = type what you're about to say in TTY (along with "GA") and hear what the caller's about to say.

Oh, and by the way, this thread belongs in Deaf Technology and Services forum.

Yeah, thanx! And i stated that i put this is the wrong forum at the bottom, lol.

So, u seem like u understand this. What is the best option for me to use?? B/c i'm constantly receiving calls, and calling ppl, would the VCO work better than the TTY option? Would i be able to recieve and send calls with the TTY option?? Thanx!!!

Breezy said:
Yeah, thanx! And i stated that i put this is the wrong forum at the bottom, lol.

So, u seem like u understand this. What is the best option for me to use?? B/c i'm constantly receiving calls, and calling ppl, would the VCO work better than the TTY option? Would i be able to recieve and send calls with the TTY option?? Thanx!!!

I don't know if you know this, but you can use cell phone even with hearing aids. My boyfriend does...what you need is an adapter (not sure what it's called) you can plug it into your cell phone and stick the other end on your hearing aid, it makes the sounds more clearer and no weird tones or whatever.

Yeha i know that, lol but thanx! See i've got a telecoil but all it does when i use my cell is create this loud tone sound and it's annoying. it works on regular phones. It just sucks coz when my cell rings it's for work, so i don't have time to constantly be hooking something up to it, u know?? Thanx anyway though!!!

Usually i just take my aid out, coz i feel like i can hear better w/o it on my cell, but then i end up missing what my boss says, lol.

OK. Let's pretend that your friend can hear (not deaf or hearing impaird) and use a TTY machine and you also have a TTY machine but you're deaf but can speak. Here's how it works.

You and your friend both use a TTY. You call a friend and you speak to your friend with your voice. Once your friend hears you, your friend types the message to you via TTY and you receive text via your TTY machine. Then you speak with your voice, and so on and so on.

I may be wrong but that's as far as I know. HCO is just an opposite. I suggest you wait until someone who knows about VCO/HCO to answer your question.

I have tried to use a TTY with a digital cell phone. Nothing but trouble, it seem that the way digital cell phones work does not matter if CDMA or GSM. The text usually ends up scrambled. To try this I called the relay service. This is because TTY was designed for landline telephone with a complete circuit from one end to the other. This is why TTY has problems working with VoIP (Voice over IP). If anyone has been able to get a TTY to work with any of this stuff then let me know :)

Well I have an Ameriphone Q90-D (from MaxiAids) and Motorola V710 (from Alltel) and I have problems with that, too. But I'm switching to Blackberry (I'm happy that I get no credit check because of the free offer from Garth Wireless) however, for 911 emergency calls, I still have to have my Ameriphone Q90-D Portable TTY.

Back