Trying to understand closed captions with HDTVs

Erik not Eric

Reaction score
I am considering buying a HDTV and am trying to understand when closed captions are available or not available on a HDTV. I was wondering if others could answer my questions so I know if my assumptions are right or wrong.

1. Is it true that when a HDTV receives a HD stream, the stream has no room for closed captioning information that the HDTV itself can receive, decode, and display?

2. Does the above mean that closed captions have to be overlaid by a set-top box or a similar device before the content is streamed to the HDTV itself?

3. How does the type of cable affect the appearance of closed captioning? It seems that HDMI cables universally do not transmit CC, but I am unclear as to if component cables can transmit CC in some cases. What about composite cables as well?

4. I am a big movie buff. If I want to watch regular DVDs on my HDTV, what is the best way to hook up my DVD player to the TV to provide CC (when the DVDs lack subtitles)? Does it depend on the cable used or the progressive/interlaced mode or both?

5. If I get a Buy-ray player and rely on it to play regular DVDs (that lack subtitles) on my HDTV, do I have to change the cable or the mode when going between a regular DVD and a Blu-ray disc?

I hope someone can answer some or all of my questions!

Thanks,

Erik

I am considering buying a HDTV and am trying to understand when closed captions are available or not available on a HDTV. I was wondering if others could answer my questions so I know if my assumptions are right or wrong.

1. Is it true that when a HDTV receives a HD stream, the stream has no room for closed captioning information that the HDTV itself can receive, decode, and display?

2. Does the above mean that closed captions have to be overlaid by a set-top box or a similar device before the content is streamed to the HDTV itself?

3. How does the type of cable affect the appearance of closed captioning? It seems that HDMI cables universally do not transmit CC, but I am unclear as to if component cables can transmit CC in some cases. What about composite cables as well?

4. I am a big movie buff. If I want to watch regular DVDs on my HDTV, what is the best way to hook up my DVD player to the TV to provide CC (when the DVDs lack subtitles)? Does it depend on the cable used or the progressive/interlaced mode or both?

5. If I get a Buy-ray player and rely on it to play regular DVDs (that lack subtitles) on my HDTV, do I have to change the cable or the mode when going between a regular DVD and a Blu-ray disc?

I hope someone can answer some or all of my questions!

Thanks,

Erik

1. HD Stream over the air? Yes they do carry CC just fine over the air if your using antenna to the HDTV set but if you mean cable yes it carry CC just fine however to get HD programmings on cable or satlite (some cable not require but soon will change) you have to have a set box and they will have a built in CC decoder in the set box which will overlay it on video before carrying it over to the HDTC via HDMI or Compoment depending which you use.

2. Answer above

3. Type of cable does not effect the appearence of the CC but HDMI will not carry CC signal over at all and some HDTV compoment will carry CC but not all.

4. You can use composite cable anytime to watch a DVD with CC but you lose out progressive scan quatily. Only way to watch DVD in progressive scan is to find a DVD player that have built in CC decoder. There one I seen but I forgot the brand and model number but do a search on Alldeaf here it in one of the post on this forum.

5. I don't own a blueray player but I was not aware that blueray player can play regular DVD? That would be a question I would like to know myself too if someone else can chime in.

5. I don't own a blueray player but I was not aware that blueray player can play regular DVD? That would be a question I would like to know myself too if someone else can chime in.

Yes, Blu-ray Disc Players can play DVDs.

I have a SONY bluray player which has successfully played regular DVD's.

I use my directv HD+DVR receiver to display closed captioning. Works much better than going through the HDTV captioning option.

GUYS, HDMI do not block CC as the source device has to have the capability to decode and transmit cc over HDMI for example, AppleTV which has CC and Subtitle support and is capable of displaying cc on any HDTV with HDMI.

I recorded a tv show on eyetv and exported to appletv format and cc is preserved thanks to improvement in quicktime 7! I was able to play back tv show with cc! using HDMI

Last edited:
GUYS, HDMI do not block CC the source device has to have the capability to transmit cc over HDMI for example, AppleTV which has CC and Subtitle support and is capable of displaying cc on any HDTV with HDMI.

The HDTV cannot decode the CC, only the video source. That's the problem.

Hi, I'm new here. I actually registered just now, to ask the exact same question that opening poster Erik asked.

I just had a new sony bravia 46" HDTV delivered 2 days ago. Unfortunately, it did not even cross my mind to research CC first. I have been watching CC since 1985 when I lost 75% of my hearing. Now I'm wondering if I wasted my money. the Sony HDTV is still in the box so far.

I also bought a Sony blu-ray disc player at the same time. I have connected the BR player to my LCD TV (not HD) with regular old analog phono a/v cables. Captions work fine that way of course. Last night I changed the connection to component video cables. Well, CC was gone. My LCD TV was made in 2004, so I am wondering in newer HDTVs would display CC over component cable connections.

My cable company, T-W, told me today that if I connected my new blu-ray player to my HDTV with HDMI, it would not show CC.

It seems that the industry is completely blowing off the hoh or deaf community. I can't believe I may have to use 50 year old analog technology with new TVs.

I prefer CC over subtitles... and lots of my DVD collection is CC but not ST.

my blu-ray player plays my regular dvds great. unfortunately, I have to use analog a/v phono cables to get CC.

I'm interested in all of Erik's questions too!

4. You can use composite cable anytime to watch a DVD with CC but you lose out progressive scan quatily. Only way to watch DVD in progressive scan is to find a DVD player that have built in CC decoder. There one I seen but I forgot the brand and model number but do a search on Alldeaf here it in one of the post on this forum.
My cheap $25 Philips DVD player has built in CC feature.

I have never seen a dvd player where CC capability was even mentioned in the technical specifications, or even in the reviews.

I'm new to HD, but I've been watching CC for over 24 years.

edit: if a TV has this listed under specifications, does that mean it will show CC thru component cables, and hdmi cables?
Closed Captions (CC) : Analog, Digital

Last edited:
I have never seen a dvd player where CC capability was even mentioned in the technical specifications, or even in the reviews.

I'm new to HD, but I've been watching CC for over 24 years.

edit: if a TV has this listed under specifications, does that mean it will show CC thru component cables, and hdmi cables?

Digital - DTV Over the Air CC
Analog - Old line 21 CC

Best way to do this is to go to TV manfacture website and download the manuals that your consider buying and read about the CC to see if it support CC over component.

thanks TechBill. Like I said, I'm new to HD, Blu-ray, and all that. However, I have had severe hearing loss since 1985 when I was in my 20s.

Unfortunately, I just got shipped a Sony Bravia 46" HDTV, and a Sony BR disc player. I had no idea at the time I ordered that CC would be a problem (for watching DVDs or BR discs). Therefore I did zero research on the CC capabilities of either device. Hope my new TV and BR player have what it takes to show CC from DVD and BR discs (over HDMI cables, or at least Composite).

My TV is still in the box so far.

This is the TV: Sony KDL-46V5100

This is the Blu-ray player: Sony BDP-N460

Together they totalled $998, so I think I got a good deal. I have seen the TV by itself for way more than that.

Philips DVP1013

I read the manual on this model #DVP1013 and it doesn't seem to have Closed Caption decoder cuz manual stated that the CC decoder had to be turn on the TV itself.

So seem there no regular upconvert hdmi dvd player with built in CC decoder yet.

There is a DVD recorder with hdmi and built in Closed Caption but cost over 300 dollar :shock:

I read the manual on this model #DVP1013 and it doesn't seem to have Closed Caption decoder cuz manual stated that the CC decoder had to be turn on the TV itself.

So seem there no regular upconvert hdmi dvd player with built in CC decoder yet.

There is a DVD recorder with hdmi and built in Closed Caption but cost over 300 dollar :shock:

Don't get smart with me.....look, it has CC settings on the DVD menu....end of story.

Back