trying to learn ASL more

sayno2hate

Reaction score
I was diagnosed with hearing loss when i was 2 years old, my parents took me to a school that was oral only... which wasn't much of a problem when i was young, but my hearing has gotten progressively worse. When I was diagnosed I had about 15-20% loss and now its up 75 and 80 depending on the ear. I am a college student, and even with my hearing aids I find it harder and harder to understand what my professors are saying... so I've decided I'm going to learn more ASL, but my university doesn't offer it. Does anyone know of a way to learn ASL and the grammar without having to be in class? Or do you know is disability services at colleges can help with the instruction?

hi...

:wave: i have a niece who is partially deaf and she told me of this site... ASLpro.com.... it is a really good site. i learned so much from it. i have a step daughter who was born deaf and i am having a hard time learning... but the fact that you can rewind the videos and play them as much as you can is so helpful... you can learn at your own pace. it's really neat. i really hope this helps. good luck. :bye:

Before I started taking college classes I had been to classes kind of like night school, its lower level but the price is inexpensive. :) Also my church had a free class. If you could look up Deaf groups in your area they can probably give you better advice for your location. ASLPRO.com is a help for looking up words, www .lifeprint.com has ASL lessons but ultimately learning sign from a 'book' can only take you so far. I hope you can find something to help. :D

I was diagnosed with hearing loss when i was 2 years old, my parents took me to a school that was oral only... which wasn't much of a problem when i was young, but my hearing has gotten progressively worse. When I was diagnosed I had about 15-20% loss and now its up 75 and 80 depending on the ear. I am a college student, and even with my hearing aids I find it harder and harder to understand what my professors are saying... so I've decided I'm going to learn more ASL, but my university doesn't offer it. Does anyone know of a way to learn ASL and the grammar without having to be in class? Or do you know is disability services at colleges can help with the instruction?

Suggest to attend to community college and spend sometime at deaf community such as deaf coffee social or any deaf events in your locate.

Learn by themselves is difficult to learn. Because it's necessary for anyone to learn how to pay attention their sign.

You should see if you're a candidate for a cochlear implant if you have a progressive hearing loss and your hearing aids are not benefiting you now. Also, you can always try to request real-time captioning services through your disabilities office. I currently use it and it has helped me tremendously.

I am learning like you and not having any Deaf communities or clubs that I can attend, I have found that You Tube is very helpful as you can find several Vlogs in ASL. (Type in Deaf stories) Also Signing Time which is geared for toddlers and preschoolers but it is a fun way to start. ASLPro.com is great for picking up vocabulary, and I just discovered About.com (ASL courses). These are not free but give the opportunity to learn interactively online. I personally enjoy the Vlogs. I was surprised to find I comprehended a lot of the 'conversation' only after a couple of weeks studying ASL through the above channels.

I'm taking an ASL class with another HOH friend. (The school is Deaf-owned and the teachers are Deaf, but the only HOH/deaf students in our class are me and my friend T.) The book I'm using is Learning American Sign Language by Carol Padden and Tom Humphries. The book alone isn't helpful without a class, but you can get it with a DVD, which REALLY helps.

We've also been using ASLPro.com Home, Signing Savvy | ASL Sign Language Video Dictionary, and ASL Browser

Hope this helps!

Hi! I started teaching myself using LifePrint.com and going through the lessons, and also using ASLpro.com or SigningSavvy.com which was great to memorize the signs. However, nothing can take the palce of actually conversing in sign. Learn all you can online and look for deaf groups or such near you.

Best of luck!

Check in with your local disability services. Phoenix has a great one. Check out deaf411 for that info or online. I do not have many deaf people to socialize with, but with a decent webcam you can meet nice folks online who will sign with you at times. Good sites are ooVoo, MSN, youtube, check out some of our folks, bet you will make friends quickly.

Back