Trying to help Mom cope with her deafness

rthib1960

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Ron, and I'm from New Hampshire U.S.A.

My mother 82 and her deafness is getting very severe. She wears hearing aids and goes to her audiologist several times a month to try and get them adusted. Frankly (although they are supposed to be "state of the art")I think the hearing aids are crap. I don't have the make or model in front of me.

At any rate, I will do anything to help her retain quality of life through her remaining years. She loves to listen to music, watch TV, and go to the movies, but all of these are becoming increasingly difficult for her. (not to mention listening on the phone.

I've encouraged her to join this forum, and she may well do so. (she is pretty good with her computer) In the meantime I am hoping for practical suggestions regarding the best head-phones, or other devices to help her enjoy the things she loves.

Any input is very much appreciated.

The best to you all!
Ron

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Welcome - can you find out the make and model she has and get back to us?

Also - she may want to consider a different audiologist as there may be someone who has a different approach that works bewtter for her.

For tv and music, she might want to look at DAI or FM systems (also for phone).

She may also want to try using Voice Carry Over (VCO) on the phone - (if her eyesight is good).

Does she have BTEs? Maybe you might want to try body worns or going to a very experianced audi?

Back