Trying to get accurate diagnosis for my son

My thoughts exactly. Whatever the cause of the speech delay, the ASL is working, so I'm sticking with that. Right now, my goal is getting where he can communicate his needs, wants, etc. to the world. This forum is really great support. With the "professional" world pushing at me in all the wrong directions, it's great to have everyone here helping me. Thanks!

Yes, St. Rita's in Cinninatti has an apraxia program, So does Beverely School for the Deaf: Children's Center for Communication (CCC) Programs.
The thing is.....wouldn't a kid with apraxia be like a voice off Dhh (there are some HOH kids who are VO due to various and sundry things) educationally?
And the "professional" world is pushing you in all wrong directions b/c it's been thought that HOH kids "don't need" ASL. :roll: We may not "need" ASL the way deafer kids may, but we still can strongly benifit from it.
I think it would be a good idea to get your son into a Deaf School/program, if he has a spoken language disabilty since a lot of hearing kids who use ASL (or other alternative/augmentive communication. ) in an augmentive/alternative communication manner tend to be mentally handicapped. (I knew a kid with CP who was a genius and used an eye gaze communication system but had to attend an AAC program which was mostly made up of mentally handicapped kids)

the school system wants to give my son autism dx but that is not what is going on i understand the frustration. it is all they see anymore.

Back