Trying New Hearing aids , Progressive Loss

set2

Reaction score
I am going to be trying some new hearing aids soon and I have a progressive hearing loss. I have an 80 db loss in both ears with abysmal word discrimination. I hate the idea of forking over $6000 and then finding that the aids are useless in a year or two. With the hearing aids I have now, speech in my right ear sounds like that of the teacher in the Peanuts cartoon.
The left ear at least sounds normal. So far I have had two recommendations for Widex Inteo but there is not much wiggle room in the fitting range.
I am thinking about going for cheaper hearing aids or maybe just one aid. Any suggestions?

I tried to upload a picture of my four legged doorbell alert system named Banjo. I hope it worked

jpg.gif

Attachments

• BAnjo.JPG
    BAnjo.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 10
Hi Set2,

Hmmm I see your dilemma. I too would think twice about spending $6,000 if they are only going to last you for a short while with a loss progressive like yours. What would be your next option if your hearing loss deteriates further?

Is it possible to get reconditioned second hand aids from your audie at all? Or maybe you could get analogue aids although they are going to stop making them I believe in a year or two - but they are much cheaper.

R2D2 it is you, It is you! Sorry I had to say that, I spent waaaay to much time in High School quoting lines from Star Wars with friends, LOL

R2, Thanks for the suggestions. My doctor said that at some point A CI might be an option but he feels I am boarderline at this point as I do well one on one. I am not ready for a CI either. I have concerns about not being able to hear music well, which is important to me because I take Tap and Ballet classes. I will know more later this month because I will have a CT scan and have my hearing tested again. The next step after that should be to try hearing aids.

maybe dump the aid for the bad ear? Lots of people just get by with just one aid or other hearing device.

Set2,

R2D2 is my nickname from my husband because whenever my hearing aids made feedback it reminded him of R2D2 from star wars but I digress...

The only problem with giving up on the bad ear and going to one aid only is that if you decide to do something years later with the bad ear with new or improved technology it will be harder to rehabilitate it because it has been dormant. You know the old saying if you don't use it you lose it.

If you go down the CI route at a later stage surgeons tend to prefer implanting the worst ear just in case the CI doesn't work out then at least you still have your good ear to keep with a hearing aid.

Back